Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- If you use water, Lily pollen is forever.

- Anonymous judging with an out of state judge still means you give all the blue ribbons to your friends.

- Boyfriends/Husbands have no idea the difference between carnations and roses.

- It is preposterous that you would not have roses of every color type at 6pm on Valentine's Day.

Comment

- Managers do not own the store. someone else owns it and it is someone else's money being spent. managers are basically overpaid babysitters with no spine, brain, balls or authority (that lies above them). they are forced to consume large amounts of Kool-Aid to get the job.

- the "good ol boy network" is still VERY alive and kickin at most companies. which means you (male or female) have to be a "yes"man, pretent to "love" sports and discuss sports at the sales meetings, be preapred to be micro-managed to the point of insanity, spout the company line perfectly on command, and bite your tongue to the point of doing a self tongue-extomy multipule times.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Don't assume anything. Be very specific and precise. Even if something seems obvious, it's not.

"Common sense" and "common knowledge" don't exist.

Comment

Document EVERYTHING.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
            What about occasional guilt free boinkings after you've had a bad day?
            Depends on how much alcohol is involved
            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

No bill is too large to be paid in change, nor too small to be paid by card.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Just keep your mouth shut. No matter how much management or <parent company> pretends to care what you think or how you feel, no one actually does.
                "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Your email saying "when you can/when its ready please do" or "please can you advise if X is correct" will be interpreted as do it NOW and get people snarling at you.

Their email saying "X needs this" is by no means to be interpreted as do it now and its ready for you. A query to the person who sent it will result in "I only sent it to you for your information".

Pointing the discrepancy out is useless and will result in derision.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Only managers are capable of making any sort of judgement call related to the registers (can I accept $10 in loose pennies, do I need change, etc). Never mind that they're nowhere near the register, only they get to decide when it's low. Yet the cashier is supposed to take the vitriol when said manager finds the $10 in pennies that they said to take. The solution is always "give the extra to other customers" (yeaaaah, $80 in singles/$5 in pennies is gonna go over real well).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

If it ever gets to a point where people are abandoning ship, taking transfers or just quitting altogether, and there's only a skeleton crew that remains, no one important will ever consider the reason may be a boss or lead. They always just assume it's because the peeons have bad attitudes, can't handle the job, or the hours.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Don't work for family. Ever. Especially if you will be living with said relative during the contract.

If there are any changes to the contract, get them in writing. And make sure the contract is actually changed to reflect the agreed upon changes.

If said relative you are working for on contract verbally agrees to changes in the contract, FOLLOW UP! to make sure said changes are actually put into the contract.

When dealing with family in a working environment, no matter how right you are, you are always in the wrong.

Doesn't matter how many hours a day you work, you are lazy and useless if you can't at least pretend to be a robot and work even longer with no/low pay and be happy about it.

Even if the manager/boss/owner has had medical/rage issues well before you were hired, any angry outbursts on his part are your fault for not reading his mind/doing what he wanted how he wanted it done/for existing.

No matter how stressed/exhausted I get, I will be called lazy and useless by family whenever I try to relax. Or they will find a way to limit/remove the effectiveness of any relaxation I manage to achieve.

No matter what I do, it will never be right or good enough and I should just stop now and not even bother.

Comment

Quoth Sakka View Post
                          Don't work for family. Ever. Especially if you will be living with said relative during the contract.

this with a different twist
                          NEVER work for a SMALL family business even if you are not family.

6 owners (3 each from 2 sides of the family in this case 2 brothers) will get youi nothing for headaches.

oldest owner (and currently head of the "family) will want something done

someone else down the chain wants something done

someone else down the chain wants something done

etc. etc.

they ALL want their thing done NOW and will play roulette with priorities as in they kept coming in changing what was a priority.

then after some time one side takes over/buys out after oldes owner leaves.

the lowest on the chain now gets a GOD complex and brings you in for a "private dressing down" for no real reason. new oldest owner is questioned about said dressing down and know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it.

all of the owners have so far failed to listen to advice concerning their IT operations (trying to keep a klunkly OLD system on life support) while they spend shitloads of money on merchandise

coampany fails spectaularly not once but twice (thank what ever diety after I left)

I will never work for a small family business again.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

To never take a bullet for someone who will stab you in the back when it's convenient.

When you pay a coworker seventy-five dollars because she claims to be great at web page design, you've basically just lost seventy-five dollars.

That real artists who have a gallery space and make money from their paintings have the authority to tell you you're not a real artist.

That people will be full of advice when you don't want it but when you actually turn to them with a problem it's like flashing the Kraken with Medusa's eyes.

That people who ask you for the money you've earned think you're really selfish when you won't just give it to them.

That there are a lot of panhandlers who just want bus fare.

Comment

That it's harder to teach the cleaning guys how the paper towel dispenser in the mens room works, than it is to call me to pull the paper through the rollers when they load it wrong and people are complaining there are no paper towels in the mens room.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Whenever somebody gets a splinter in their finger they come running to me to dig it out for them.

Or if another coworker ends up with a handheld unit that wants to freeze up, they come to ME to call the Helpless Desk b/c apparently they think it's quicker to do that than to go to the office and call themself.

This was my day last Tuesday. Not only do I stock, change prices and run a cash register, but I'm also IT support and a Doctor now.
                                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                                X