This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telepathy

So I have this man come into the store today who I see fairly frequently. I ring him up, we chat and then I give him his change. Well that's when shit gets interesting...

SC: I need change for this twenty
    Me: No problem. How do you want it?
    SC: Uh...
    Me: One ten, one five and five ones sound good?
    SC: Sure. But can I get change for one of the ones?
    Me: Sure *prompts the register to open the drawer, gets the change, hands it back to the customer*
    SC: Uh, I asked for change for one of the one dollar bills
    Me: I gave you change. Four quarters.
    SC: No. I wanted one of the quarters to be two dimes and a nickle...
    Me: You didn't specify that
    SC: Yes I did.
    Me: Okay
    SC: I wanted to get a soda from the vending machines
    Me: ...... You could just use all four quarters
    SC: Can you just open the drawer?
    Me: *prompts the register again then hands him the two dimes and one nickle in exchange for the one quarter*
    SC: You should get your hearing checked
    Me: My hearing is fine. It's my telepathy that's broken. I should speak with Marvel about getting that fixed. Have a nice day, sir

He would have been mad at me. After I shut my drawer, the only way I am supposed to open it again is if I have another cash sale.

ETA: Which is why I kind of hesitate before closing the drawer. I have had many an elderly person get mad at my lack of telepathy and closing the drawer, only to ask for their change back a different way.

Comment

to be honest the fact that he kept wanting you to open your drawer again made me kinda leery that he wanted to try to scam you a bit. i'm glad it didn't turn out that way.

Comment

Quoth TechieGirl87 View Post
        SC: No. I wanted one of the quarters to be two dimes and a nickle...
        Me: You didn't specify that
        SC: Yes I did.
        Moi: Yeah, but next time, you need to say it WITH YOUR MOUTH. Out LOUD.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Some people just don't know when to stop. The "Yes I did" was bad enough. You got your change the way you wanted, be on your way. Why throw in the "Get your hearing checked" business? Ego so battered you have to make it a clerk's fault that you screwed up?

Comment

I love being a smart ass but you gotta pick and choose the times to pull that too. Like the whole "Do you work here?" when you're CLEARLY in uniform and wearing your name tag. There are times I've looked at people and said "Nope. I actually work at XXX store, I'm just scoping out the completion."

Comment

I love being a smart ass but you gotta pick and choose the times to pull that too. Like the whole "Do you work here?" when you're CLEARLY in uniform and wearing your name tag. There are times I've looked at people and said "Nope. I actually work at XXX store, I'm just scoping out the completion."
              Completion? or competition?

Comment

I was half expecting him to further blast you because he wanted ones of the dimes to be a nickel and five pennies... you know, cuz he's buying from the vending machine.
                Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                Fiancee: What?!
                Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                  Completion? or competition?
                  Competition. -.- You know what I meant.

Comment

I'm sorry for that. I wasn't sure if "completion" had a different definition and I was missing it. Great comeback line, nonetheless.

Comment

Me: My hearing is fine. It's my telepathy that's broken. I should speak with Marvel about getting that fixed. Have a nice day, sir

I hope you really said that out loud. Sometimes a snarky remark like that needs to be said.

Comment

First asshole doesn't know how he wants his $20 broken. Then he wants to get stupid about breaking a quarter? Why would he want to break a quarter anyways for a vending machine when he'll get change back anyways? He probably didn't even know, he might've been looking for a power play in the transaction just cause.

Comment

I keep thinking now of the scene in Family Guy where Peter is trying to figure out if someone works at a store and passive aggressively is asking "I wonder where shampoo would be" over and over again, and when the employee turned towards him and he saw the name badge his responded "Oh good, I was starting to think you might be a normal person"
                          Thank you Seth for so accurately portraying the retail experience so accurately.
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            to be honest the fact that he kept wanting you to open your drawer again made me kinda leery that he wanted to try to scam you a bit. i'm glad it didn't turn out that way.
                            Gods I hate when people try to pull that scam!
                            You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Working...
                            X