This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    Once when my husband had his glasses off I stood in front of him about 3 feet away and said, "What can you tell about me?"

He replied, "Uh, you're a person..."

Yeah, that lady was just a bitch. I wonder if the 'legally blind' woman was completely embarrassed by her behavior?
    Probably. My blind friend has had to yell at her mom a time or two for going too far to "help".

With me, if I get carried away I'm liable to get cracked across the shins with her cane. Ouch.

Comment

People around here always try to make someone feel guilty about things you couldn't have possibly known.

Comment

I'm really thinking the Aunty is the care-taker of the "Legally-Blind" niece, and it's a new arrangement...therefore every person they encounter in public must bend over backwards to assist...the Old Lady Neice was the typical pleasant elderly customer, it was her "handler" who freaked on me. But I cant think of any other reason she woulda been so adamant about "LEGALLY BLIND! (!eleventy!) label...I completed this transaction with my usual "ftw"smile and courtesy so ingrained into my IGA store. As much as it bugged me out all day, she didnt complain, so I guess I win...ergh...

Comment

This thread reminded me of a customer I had at the shoe store 15ish years ago, when I first started working there. She had some form of albinism, and every time she came in the store she would loudly proclaim that she needed assistance because she had a vision impairment.

I understood that she had a vision impairment.

I didn't mind helping her.

But I work in a mostly self-service shoe store. She usually came in when I was the only one working, so I had to ring up other customers, as well as help anyone that needed help.

Just the way she would holler at me, "I have a vision impairment! I need assistance!" .... it took everything in me not to yell back, "That much is obvious because you tell me this every time you come in, yet you don't recognize me!"

I would try to politely explain that she wasn't my only customer, but she just insisted I help her and only her.

Comment

Quoth TattooedMommie View Post
            Is it wrong to want to punch an old lady in the balls?

I don't think it is. If it is, I'm wrong several times a week.

She just wanted to bitch about not being helped because they don't understand technology. So they either have to LEARN how to use it, look stupid because they can't use it, or put the blame for their inability to use it onto someone else. (in this case, you.)
            She should have been the one helping her but since she's unable to do anything except be old and useless she projects that responsibility onto you in an effort to make herself look less stupid.
            I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
              That was a 'can't win' situation. Had you stayed by the register to see the screen and thus not put the bags in the carts, there would have been an almighty blow-up about that.
              *snip*
              Exactly. You did nothing wrong.

Quoth emax4 View Post
              *snip*
              or
              "Why aren't you by her side reading off the screen if you know she's legally blind??"
              Good question! You're standing right there, you old b*tch, read the screen for her!!

To be honest, when somebody goes on and on and ON like that, I start to be very skeptical that there's actually a problem at all. They sound far too much like an EW who's just decided they've got a foolproof excuse to be really rude with everybody they come in contact with.

Tough as it was, you were right not to try to defend yourself. That would've just prolonged the contact and the main thing at that point was to get the precious pair OUT of your lineup and out of the store.

Comment

Old lady could have just paid cash, and avoided the whole problem if she were really "legally blind."
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  Old lady could have just paid cash, and avoided the whole problem if she were really "legally blind."
                  Then she would've been whining about feeling unsafe due to having cash on her person and that somebody could rob her b/c she's "legally blind."

She reminds me of a woman my mom took care of some years ago . . . it was a blessing in disguise when the family decided she needed to be put somewhere.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth NotAlBundy View Post
                    I would try to politely explain that she wasn't my only customer, but she just insisted I help her and only her.
                    I am fairly certain that, even if she had perfect vision, she would demand that same exclusive treatment.

re: Legal Blindness -- The standard appears to be 20/200. not 20/400. ^_^ 20/400 is "full" blindness. Note that these numbers are "with the 'best available' corrective lenses in place".

I dug this up:

The American Optometric Association states that a person with 20/20 vision can clearly identify a row of 9mm letters from 20 feet. A legally blind person with vision of 20/200 has to be as close as 20 feet to identify objects that people with normal vision can spot from 200 feet. So a legally blind person needs a distance of two feet to spot the letters on a standard eye chart that is 20 feet away.
                    And some stuff here as well
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can't see clearly farther than 6 inches from my face.

My hubby was driving one day and I took my glasses off to rub my eyes, he asked me if I could see the car in the other lane, I looked and said "What car?"
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I take my glasses off and do the Garfield:

Feet?

I have feet?

Where?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

She reamed you out for not helping and yet that's exactly what you were doing. I really really hate that.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

FL: Some people just want to watch the workers burn
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X