This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm new!

So I've been coming to this site for a while now, just to read the stories. I haven't joined before because I don't have any good stories at the moment as I am recovering from surgery and am on hiatus from bad customers.

But I did have an experience that I wanted to share; my dad just recently passed away, and I've been trying to sell his iPhone to help pay my mom's phone bill. So I posted it on a couple of sites, and I got this text message from someone, it was a weird area code, and this person wanted to give me more than I was asking for the iPhone, if I would send it to Nigeria. All I had to do was give this person my PayPal info.

At the time, I didn't realize what was happening, and gave the person my email address, and I got an email from "PayPal" saying that I had to send the phone first in order to receive a tracking number. That's when I knew not to send it, and reported it to PayPal.

It's like, even when I'm stuck at home, I still have to deal with jerks and idiots and scammers.

Quoth Erinesque View Post
    and I got this text message from someone, it was a weird area code, and this person wanted to give me more than I was asking for the iPhone, if I would send it to Nigeria. All I had to do was give this person my PayPal info.

At the time, I didn't realize what was happening, and gave the person my email address, and I got an email from "PayPal" saying that I had to send the phone first in order to receive a tracking number. That's when I knew not to send it, and reported it to PayPal.
    Too bad you ran into a scammer, but at least you realized it before the situation became irretrievable. For anyone else selling online, here are some red flags:

- Wants to send more than you're asking (presumably will ask you to send the excess back by Western Union). Due to banking laws, your bank MUST make the funds from a cheque or money order deposited to your account available to you within a certain deadline unless a "bounce" message has come back. Note that this applies even if the cheque has not yet cleared. If it "bounces" after the deadline, they take the money back from your account - of course, by this time you've shipped the merchandise, and they've already collected the money you sent via Western Union.

- Wants you to send the merchandise to Nigeria. 'Nuff said.

- You get an e-mail from "PayPal". Forging headers is easy - unless the same message is there when you log into PayPal, it's a scam.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Welcome. Dear child, my father was the ambasador Burkina Faso before he got tragically killed in a plane crash by rebel forces. He had the sum of $15 MILLION US DOLLARS set up in a bank account and part of his will is that the benefeciaries be from a foreign country.You have been chosen to help-if you can help me gain access to this account,you will be able to have the sum of $10 MILION US DOILLARS into an account of your choice.
      All I need from you my dear friend in God is a small payment for paperwork to be set up so you access account. Will you please help me,dear child? Friendship is a beautiful thing.

*Please leave your small payment at the entry to the Sightings Lounge.Many thanks to you my dear child*
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
      X