Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less than a month to go (longish rant)

So, my second job is in retail. I've worked there for over four years, and it's been my second job for over two of those. I've been everything from a front end supervisor, to human resources, service desk, cashier, etc. Needless to say, they can throw me anywhere and I can figure it out. I've tried to quit before when I felt overwhelmed (I work 40 hours at my full time job, and they would schedule me every weekend plus a weeknight) - and they convinced me to stay, saying they needed me and would work with me. I think we know how that goes.

I just recently was hired at a new full time job where I'll be making more money. It's basically what I made at my last job plus this part time job (on average). I was going to stay a while with both jobs to try and save up some more money. This second job allowed me to save up for a new car, and pay off my credit card debt (which I accumulated with old crappy car expenses). I appreciate it, but I can no longer handle it.

Two weeks ago, I was very ill - a viral infection that just wouldn't go away. I had to call out, and all I got from management was grief about letting them down. Really? I had to get an IV drip from an urgent care center because I was so dehydrated, and all you care about is your store. I'm fairly certain I got so sick because I wasn't able to rest. Working 50+ hours a week for several months does a lot to you. It scared me, though, and then I realized that I was no longer in my early 20's. Not only am I burning myself out, I'm also missing out on life.

When I was well again, I went in to check my schedule, and on labor day (my only day off in weeks besides my sick days), and they scheduled me 6-10:30 in a department I don't regularly work in. I was beyond livid. They have plenty of other employees that don't work two jobs that can work that shift, but they thought they can take advantage of me again. I signed my resignation form right then, stating I would not be working that shift.

On Friday, the store manager cornered me and gave me the old guilt trip again. Saying they needed me to do orientations for fourth quarter, that I was really valuable, etc. One of the front end supervisors told me yesterday that from stuff she has been "hearing", I'm doing the right thing by leaving. From what she was inferring, management have been talking about me. I don't gossip - I come in, do my job, and leave. I don't appreciate people talking about me behind my back. This isn't high school, and I don't need the stress.

I can't take it anymore. I'm done at the end of the month. Not showing up for that labor day shift should give them the right idea.

Oh, and the kicker? I received an e-mail from the HR lady that works during the week, asking me to do an orientation this week. The email pretty much assumed I would do it. I deleted it.

That was a wall of text, I'm sorry. I just needed to vent.

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
    Working 50+ hours a week for several months does a lot to you. It scared me, though, and then I realized that I was no longer in my early 20's. Not only am I burning myself out, I'm also missing out on life.
    Yes you are, and I'm glad you realized that before it was too late. There's a difference between a "good work ethic" and "working yourself into an early grave". Your health (physical, mental and emotional) is far more important than any amount of money.

I hope your new job is everything you wanted and they treat you well. When you get a day off, take it completely off. Get some rest and relaxation. You've more than earned it.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

And I'll second what XCashier said.

Oh, and the kicker? I received an e-mail from the HR lady that works during the week, asking me to do an orientation this week.
      Makes me wonder if someone figured that they would be able to talk you into staying and failed to pass on the resignation. Do you still have some friends there and can find out what happens? Could be good for laughs.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I've always had this same experience -- the lower-paying jobs that often treat you worse and have you scraping for hours expect more out of you. They just assume that anyone below management level is desperate, never taking into account how it is for some, like yourself, who already have full-time employment.

Good on you for telling them where they can stick it!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Two weeks ago, I was very ill - a viral infection that just wouldn't go away. I had to call out, and all I got from management was grief about letting them down. Really? I had to get an IV drip from an urgent care center because I was so dehydrated, and all you care about is your store. I'm fairly certain I got so sick because I wasn't able to rest. Working 50+ hours a week for several months does a lot to you. It scared me, though, and then I realized that I was no longer in my early 20's. Not only am I burning myself out, I'm also missing out on life.

When I was well again, I went in to check my schedule, and on labor day (my only day off in weeks besides my sick days), and they scheduled me 6-10:30 in a department I don't regularly work in. I was beyond livid. They have plenty of other employees that don't work two jobs that can work that shift, but they thought they can take advantage of me again. I signed my resignation form right then, stating I would not be working that shift.
          Right there, I would've walked out. (I drive up to 70 hours per week, but that's a combination of "choice" and "I love my job.")

I don't gossip - I come in, do my job, and leave. I don't appreciate people talking about me behind my back. This isn't high school, and I don't need the stress.
          PLEASE tell me you said this to the manager.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

When they call asking why you are not at work on labor day, and they will call, just tell them in the sweetest voice you can that you are sorry if they misunderstood your resignation and that you are no longer working there. They will try and bully you into working. Keep using the sweet voice and simply say no. Don't give them any reason for why you can't work 'just for today.' It will drive them nuts.

Comment

Sh*t like that is why so many people tell their bosses to take the job and shove it. And people wonder why employees supposedly "don't have any loyalty to their company" anymore. Ha!

Good on you for telling them to shove it. Best of luck with your new job!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks for all your support, guys.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                Yes you are, and I'm glad you realized that before it was too late. There's a difference between a "good work ethic" and "working yourself into an early grave".

I hope your new job is everything you wanted and they treat you well. When you get a day off, take it completely off. Get some rest and relaxation. You've more than earned it.
                Thank you! My mother and my friends have all said the same. I have tomorrow completely off and I will be relaxing. My new job is wonderful - they have a very "team" ethic and value your time.

Quoth csquared View Post
                Makes me wonder if someone figured that they would be able to talk you into staying and failed to pass on the resignation. .
                That's exactly what I was thinking, which ticked me off. I do have a few friends - one of the front end supervisors said she heard them talking about getting me to do it last week. I'll ask her to see what happens.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Good on you for telling them where they can stick it!
                Thank you! I'm proud of myself.

Quoth Deserted View Post
                PLEASE tell me you said this to the manager.
                No, but I will if I get anymore grief about it!

Quoth Arcus View Post
                When they call asking why you are not at work on labor day, and they will call,.....
                Oh, yes, I'm waiting for the call. I can't wait to see if the HR manager actually read my resignation.

Thank you all again.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  And people wonder why employees supposedly "don't have any loyalty to their company" anymore.
                  I am loyal to those who are loyal to me. If you stab me in the back, throw me under the bus, gossip about me and otherwise treat me like garbage, don't act so damned shocked when I leave you in the lurch. Life's too short to put up with crap.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Glad to hear the new job is going so well. Enjoy your time off! When you get your final check from this job, do something to celebrate.

If you really are such a valued employee, it sounds like management has a warped way of showing it. Let us know how that phone call goes when they wonder where you are.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I was planning on either getting some new boots, or a tattoo. I should have to decide...

I'll keep you guys updated.

Comment

Update: Surprisingly they didn't call! Maybe they actually read my note. Color me surprised.

Comment

Working...
                        X