This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Cellular quickies

Just a few quickies that we get on a regular basis.

SC: Yeah my phone says it can't be auth... auth... overrided.

Me: What? Do you mean Authenticated...

SC: Yeah thats what I said, authenitfied.

--------------------------------------------------------

SC: My phone said it has 1 hour and 2 minutes and I used 5 minutes. Now it says I only have 57 minutes left, where did my other 43 minutes go.

[yes many many many people do not know how many minutes there are in an hour or simply mistake 1 hour as 100 minutes]

Me: What model of phone do you have? [as in manufacture and model number]

SC: Brand Cellular/ Other Brand Cellular / Prepaid / A cellular phone / I don't know / How can I tell?

SC: You mean it has to be on to receive calls?

Me: You'll find that serial number underneath the battery, but if you're on the phone.... [click] - This is one I've learned now to ask if they are on the phone first

Me: Are you using a prepaid phone card or a credit card to add the airtime today?

SC: A prepaid card

Me: Ok whats the number

SC: 4457....

Me: Wait is that a credit card?

SC: Yeah its a prepaid credit card.

---------------------------------------------------------

SC: I want to change my number.

Me: Ok, what area code would you like ot change it to?

SC: [gives zip code, or in some rare cases SSN or 4 digit account pin code]

SC: My phone won't call out

Me: Ok what do you hear when you call out?

SC: I don't know?

Me: When was the last time you tried to call out?

SC: Before I added minutes / [insert time usually more than 2 to 3 days ago] / I didn't my [spouse] told me it wasnt working / Before I came to work [and guess what the phone is still at home]

----------------------------------------------------------

Me: Ok whats the ESN you have please?

SD (sucky dealer): Whats that mean? [seriously I should not have to tell you this, if you're trying to activate cellular phones and don't know what an ESN is its time to go back to the training room]

----------------------------------------------------------

Me: And what area code would you like to activate?

SD: Cleveland

Me: Ok is that 216, or 440 or is it not Cleveland in Ohio?

SD: What?

Me: What AREA CODE do you need?

SD: I said Cleveland?

I use Cleveland for an example here but there are many others where this happens? For those whose US geography is rust there is a Cleveland in Ohio, in Tennessee and in Texas at least that I know of off the top of my head, we happen to service all 3.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Quoth Chanlin View Post

SC: Brand Cellular/ Other Brand Cellular / Prepaid / A cellular phone / I don't know / How can I tell?
    This one, I can't really blame them for. Customers who simply don't know any better immediately associate their cell phone with the carrier, not the manufacturer. I mean, they most likely bought the phone from the carrier, the phone has the carrier's logos all over it (more times than the manufacturer's, usually), and they pay their bill to the carrier.
    They think that the carrier is the manufacturer of their phone, which sounds stupid to us but makes some sense given the evidence.

Comment

Oh I agree totally on the model part of it.

It's just grating to get it damn near every time I ask the question.

The stupid ones are -- Prepaid (yes we are a prepaid provider, DUH) -- And A Cellular Phone (again DUH)

I don't know, or how can I tell are valid responses. I'm not saying they are sucky, just really damn annoying because no one ever bother to find out about what they are buying before they buy it.

Comment

The thing I hate the most after a "brain-rape" is the customer hanging up before I can retort... or worse, hang up mid-retort. When we hear something stupid, it sticks in our brain, rewinds and plays over and over in an attempt to be understood...they should hear something too!

ARRGH!

...if it weren't for my HORSE, I wouln't have spent that year in college...
        You have the right to behave badly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a blog of my choice.

Comment

Actually, I can see a dealer confused about the ESN. When I worked for the warranty dept the ESN's were on Digital phones, the IMEI were on GSM phones and were the same as the ESN, Motorola had the MSN as an ESN. So if the dealer had never had training in Digital then I can see the confusion. Although, I think there is a GSM phone that has an ESN out there somewhere.

I loved it when the customer was on the phone when they were calling. What I loved the most was when they would argue that they were not on the phone. I would ask them to remove there battery and click. They would also ask me if there was any other place that they could get this number. If there was then I would ask it nimrod. They would ask me for a sup so they could get it elsewhere, thing is there is no where else to get it from.

I love it when customers have had there phone for at least 6 months and they don't know how to turn off or on the darn thing.

I loved the ones that would want to hang up on you. Normally we have to call them back, but sometimes we couldn't. It would be the nastly rude ones that we would pray would hang up.

I used to do warranty exchanges and some customers would call in yelling and calling us names. I could be rude without sounding or acting rude and would generally make an ass out of someone. If someone was acting nasty then hang up, they would find out later that the exchange was never put through.

Also there are the ones that cannot speak English, at all. The Middle eastern men, and sometimes woman, would sound like someone vibrating there tongue when they get upset. The oriental woman, and sometimes men, wouldn't have a clue.

I remember getting many oriental men on calls. I would ask them to remove the battery and they wouldn't understand. I spent almost 15 min one day trying to explain what a battery and the battery contacts were to him. I am gratefull when they started putting in the liquid indicator strip on some phones. They would have these ultra uber phones and not know anything about them. We had no interpreter line anymore and it was mostly for the spanish speaking customers. I was able to help most of them but there were those few that refused to call back but couldn't understand anything.

And last but not least, are the ones that would say that they need help but they would also be cussing us out or calling us really derogatory names. Why are you going to cuss out the person that you need help from. I also was a beleiver in the saying "you get more flies with honey than with vinegar."

If you are nice to me, I will be nice to me. Why should I help your ass if you are calling me a f'''''g bitch and telling me that I shouldn't have been born and my mother should have been whipped (I was actually told this by a customer that needed my help in processing a warranty exchange for a phone that wasn't working.)
          Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

On dealers not knowing about ESN's I have no problem with them getting confused over the IMEI, MEID, MSN etc. But I should also not have to be the one instructing them how to find it.

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Chanlin

This one, I can't really blame them for. Customers who simply don't know any better immediately associate their cell phone with the carrier, not the manufacturer.
              When I used to work in the division where I occasionally dealt with end users of cell phones (don't anymore, thank goodnes!) I got many, many calls where customers told me that they had a Nokia Samsung phone, and that we were their service provider. I'm not kidding. Trying to explain to one of these people that their phone could not be both Nokia and Samsung hurt my brain almost as much as trying to explain to them that if it was either, we couldn't help them.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                When I used to work in the division where I occasionally dealt with end users of cell phones (don't anymore, thank goodnes!) I got many, many calls where customers told me that they had a Nokia Samsung phone, and that we were their service provider. I'm not kidding. Trying to explain to one of these people that their phone could not be both Nokia and Samsung hurt my brain almost as much as trying to explain to them that if it was either, we couldn't help them.
                That's when you should have told her about your Ford Toyota car and the pork chicken roast you had for dinner last night
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Haha, it sounds like a day at my work.. I also work customer service for prepaid phones..... Maybe we work together????

Comment

I was post-paid.
                    Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                      I use Cleveland for an example here but there are many others where this happens? For those whose US geography is rust there is a Cleveland in Ohio, in Tennessee and in Texas at least that I know of off the top of my head, we happen to service all 3.
                      There's also a Cleveland, Georgia. Very small town, in the mountains, most people wouldn't know it EXISTED except for the fact that it is where real Cabbage Patch Kids are "born" (you know, the cloth ones, not the plastic ones in the stores). At a place called Babyland General.

Momma grew up there and, just a cool side note, was actually born at Babyland General back when it was an actual hospital. We tease Momma and tell her she's a Cabbage Patch Kid.

Though she did know Xavier Roberts in high school, which was kinda cool.
                      "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Working...
                      X