Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are an internet provider. We do not make house calls!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are an internet provider. We do not make house calls!

It's frustrating enough when you deal with a customer who either refuses to follow directions, or simply cannot follow directions to the point where they should not even own a computer. With the internet provider I work for, we do not provide CD's or software for customers to load onto their computer. Instead, we sign them up over the phone, helping them create their password and username. You think this would be simple right? No way!

Setting up the usernames and passwords are the easy part, but getting the customer to do a dial up set up is the most difficult thing in the world. You deal with those that cannot tell you if they have Windows XP or something else, then they can't follow directions on how to find it. And, when you get this info out of them, after a ten minute wait, you still cannot get your customer to follow directions on doing a set up to where they ask, "Well, can't you just send somebody out?"

No, sir, we provide your internet service. We do not make house calls. I have had so many of these people to where I simply tell them things like "You'll need to get someone who does hands-on training with computers, or call a computer repair company for assistance." Some also want us to send a person there for issues not pertaining to the internet, like "How do I install my Adobe Reader?" or "Can you tell me how to retrieve my digital photos?" My answer is always "No" being if their computer is messed up, I get blamed for it.

By the way, can anyone tell me if there is an internet provider out there that does make house calls?

Actually, we were having problems with slow connectivity and sbcglobal came out but that was to check the lines. I have heard of sbc going to other peoples houses to install their dsl modem for them.

I think they would draw the line at just installing that and not doing any other pc troubleshooting otherwise like you stated they could be held liable for the pc.

I work an internal help desk for a major corporation and whenever someone calls and wants help with the settings on the home pc I always tell them no we only support company issued machines

Comment

This is why my company does provide CD's or floppy for setup. All it does is create a windows dialer, but the customers think it is something magical.

And no, we do not make house calls.
      Stupid Things

Comment

My company does. To the tune of $45/hour + mileage.

Comment

A few of the providers in the area here do make house calls but then they are locally based.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post

By the way, can anyone tell me if there is an internet provider out there that does make house calls?
            Sure... your friendly neighborhood cable company. We'll come out, install the service, set up the computer and even install a NIC if necessary. If you use your own modem, we'll come out for any issue up to the modem. If you rent a modem from us, that's included, too. And, if you get our home networking, we'll take care of everything up to and including the wireless adapters on each machine.

The home networking installation is $150. Some of our customers go ballistic... "$150 for what?!?" The more aware ones say, "Whoa, dude... you're telling me you'll install my home network on five computers and maintain it forever... and only charge a one-time $150? That's unbelievable."

It is.

All that said, if the customer screws up the computer... that's a problem for a PC technician, not us.
            I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

I forgot to mention that I also worked in the DSL industry at one time, and I do remember Bellsouth making house calls for what is called a professional install. The cost of that is $99, and once you told a customer that, they suddenly changed their minds. My post mainly was dealing with dial up services. Most of the ones I've known do not have technicians that will come to your home and set up a dial up connection for you.

I also worked for the cable TV industry, and it was the same thing. High speed internet was offered, and they charged something like $100 for a technician to install the service for you. Again, when you told a customer this, they much of the time would change their tune and decide to do it themselves. I think much of the problem is laziness. Sure, it takes a little time to install equipment and so forth, but I would rather do it than have some unknown person come into my home and create chaos with my computer.
              Last edited by greensinestro; 01-27-2007, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                I also worked for the cable TV industry, and it was the same thing. High speed internet was offered, and they charged something like $100 for a technician to install the service for you. Again, when you told a customer this, they much of the time would change their tune and decide to do it themselves.
                Before the local cable company changed hands in the middle of last year, there was no such thing as a do-it-yourself internet install. The old company never allowed it. We also never allowed using a splitter, either... the modem line had to run straight from the main splitter at the house. A person could have 12 existing cable jacks in their house and we'd still come out and run a new line for the modem and set up the service. If a caller said, "Yeah, I moved my computer to another room and put a splitter on the TV line," the only thing we could do was tell them to move it back where it came from... then call us if they still had a problem.

One the good side, we hardly ever charged for an install. On the bad side... well, there was no bad side. It was great to never hear a call that began, "I bought me one of them blinky box thingys at Wal-mart today... now what do I do?"

We also never let anybody pick up an HD box at the local office.
                I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

TNT, sounds like you now work for the same "McCheesy" company I do. When ppl call up about wireless, I only mention our setup option, but usually push them towards purchasing their own router. Our techs are supposed to setup the passwords, SSID, and all of that one standard way, but never do, and never leave the InstaLan software either. Not to mention the ppl who call in for help, and I can't even remotely login to the SMC router with the MSO password.

Atleast if its their router, I can refer them to that manufacturer when it goes beyond our scope of support. And with something called CCore, my calls are ending faster, as I can quickly tell when they have a Linkski device behind it.

BravoOrig

Quoth TNT View Post
                  Sure... your friendly neighborhood cable company. We'll come out, install the service, set up the computer and even install a NIC if necessary. If you use your own modem, we'll come out for any issue up to the modem. If you rent a modem from us, that's included, too. And, if you get our home networking, we'll take care of everything up to and including the wireless adapters on each machine.

The home networking installation is $150. Some of our customers go ballistic... "$150 for what?!?" The more aware ones say, "Whoa, dude... you're telling me you'll install my home network on five computers and maintain it forever... and only charge a one-time $150? That's unbelievable."

It is.

All that said, if the customer screws up the computer... that's a problem for a PC technician, not us.

Comment

My company does make house calls, but we're also a service center and charge $90 an hour.
                    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

It is.

Well said there, TNT! I had a lady yesterday who called us up because her monitor was dark and she could not figure out why. I wanted to tell her to pack up her computer and take it back being she's not smart enough to even know about turning on the monitor, or plugging it in, but I held my tongue. We still did not resolve the issue and it got to where I told her to have someone with hands-on training help her with it. I'm sure the same thing happened when she put in her phone service. "I can't get dial tone! Oh, I see I didn't plug it in!"

Comment

At my last job, our 'net provider made housecalls...but only because we had a T1 connection, and were in the same building

However, before calling them, I tried to troubleshoot it myself. Usually, it was a loose wire, or a router that needed reset. Usually, that fixed the problem. However, if it didn't, the 'net guys were just upstairs.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          At my last job, our 'net provider made housecalls...but only because we had a T1 connection, and were in the same building

However, before calling them, I tried to troubleshoot it myself. Usually, it was a loose wire, or a router that needed reset. Usually, that fixed the problem. However, if it didn't, the 'net guys were just upstairs.

Yes, we also have a department that handles T-1 lines, and yes, they have technicians that make housecalls. I was referring to those individuals who have plain old dial up internet at under $10 per month, yet expect the red carpet treatment any time they don't feel like doing something themselves.

Comment

I love how people get stunned at how expensive a house call is when you factor in gas and labor charges.

When I worked at a computer store I had someone try to explain to me that our tech should only be paid $10/hr because "that'd be more than enough for him, most people that work in stores like this would be lucky to make that".

Ohh if only she knew. At least the tech had a good laugh over it. He'd usually sequester himself but sometimes he would find himself dealing with customers directly. He was not a customer service rep, he was a technician and always told the customers exactly what the deal is, with no sugarcoating ("well mr. X you probably screwed up your computer by doing [insert insanely dumb thing here]). Oh how I loved listening to those convos.

Comment

Telus doesn't make "house calls" I believe. I was mailed my adsl modem and the cds and had to set it all up myself. But my ex-roommate wanted Shaw cable internet, and apparently someone from there came to the apartment to set up all the cording and drill a freaking hole in the wall, since her room doesn't have a cable plugin. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X