This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mhkohne View Post
    Was he selling stuff that hadn't been thrown away as well? Or was just improperly raiding the trash bins? One kind of presumes that everything going out of that company is somewhat sensitive, so he shouldn't have been doing it, but if he was at least limiting himself to the trash pile, one can't get as upset as if he were raiding the spare parts room!
    My guess is said employee thought they could stay under the radar by only doing the trash bin.
    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Those boxes weren't trash and were labeled as such; they were just old things that had been replaced and/or moved, but their fate was still up in the air, as they still functioned. Maybe the employee figured the stuff would be thrown away eventually, or that it would never be noticed missing.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        Those boxes weren't trash and were labeled as such; they were just old things that had been replaced and/or moved, but their fate was still up in the air, as they still functioned. Maybe the employee figured the stuff would be thrown away eventually, or that it would never be noticed missing.
        Ahh, clearly stealing then. Stupid. Probably could have gotten IT to give them to him when they decided to throw them out.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Well it's great that you can recover the items in question, lets not forget the core problem here. IT ignored (not forgot, ignored) a basic tenant of IT security that says to secure or eliminate all sensitive information at all times. So while the guy did steal the items, it was the idiot(s) replacing the systems that allowed it to happen. I've done a lot of system swap outs over the past few years and we have NEVER let a hard drive slip past. Securing the HDD is priority one whenever we're on a site.

Your IT person/people dropped the ball big enough to warrant a policy review.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

First - Awesome job on the investigation ^_^
            Quoth crazylegs View Post
            It's very satisfying taking a mallet to the dead drive though
            C'mon. You knew this was coming. Not even gonna label it.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
              I almost wonder if the IT person was in on the whole thing. Why else would they have blundered like that?
              There are some polices at my site that just don't make sense; we know they don't, but that's up to the head-honchos across the country to institute a change - all we can do is tell them "Hey, this could be an issue..." And they may or may not choose to listen. The IT Guy was only doing what he was told; in fact, IT were the ones who discovered it and if they had not found the remaining drives we would have had no numbers to go by. I'm sure a lot of polices are going to get a review after this.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Awesome dective work!! Now to nab them. They would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling Lilly XD

The last HDD I swapped out at work, is currently sitting in parts on my desk. The platter had the arm magnet rubbed all over it.
                "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                  Wiping isn't good enough...
                  this is fun: http://youtu.be/AZdZGKyu9hc

Comment

Working...
                  X