This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call from Hell (top this one)

So on my last day of work before stress leave, I got this super winner of a call. The guy had a prefessional wider format printer and none of his presets were saving. It was escalated to me because the agent who got the call could not gain agreement on what the issue was (always a bad sign.)

Anyway, when I got the call and finally got the issue out of him, it turnes out to be an issue with the printers driver interacting with a preference file in the OS. A standard step in troubleshooting is to figure out if the issue is system wide or if it is a user specific issue. Since the first agent hadn't done any troubleshooting, it was up to me to field the inevitable question "Why are we doing this?"

SC: (irritated) "Why are you waisting my time with this?"

Me: (calm) "Well, here at (company) we strive for total resolution of the issue. Since this is the case, we need to diagnose what the issue is, find the cause, then remove it."

SC: (still irritated): "Can't you just pull a file and see if it fixes it."

Me: (still calm): "Well that is not a very efficient way of troubleshooting, I assure you that if we take methodical steps towards diagnosing an issue, then the call will go a lot faster then if we just randomly pull files, do you see where I am coming from?"

SC: (angry now, wrong choice of words, I guess): "I've call hundreds of times on this problem, and the other people just pull a file and the printer works for a while, I don't have time to deal with the problem."

Me: (admittedly becoming a bit of a smart ass): "Well the fact that you have called hundreds of times says to me that you have not resolved the issue and it's time to take a different approach."

SC: "So you are telling me that I need to set up a new user just so that we can find out it's working there and pull a file and have it not work again?"

Me: I'm sorry, sir (you know as soon as tech support breaks out the "Sir" or "Ma'am" that your call isn't going anywhere, but that's a topic for another post), I have reviewed the case notes, and I don't see anywhere that you have actually created a new user, so lets just open up a new user and try it, ok?"

SC: "I don't think I like your tone."

Me: "I'm sorry if my tone upset you, could we please just creat a new user account so we can get on with troubleshooting?"

SC: "No. I want you to tell me what file to pull so that I can have my printer back."

Me: "Well that's the point, sir. I can't possible know what file to pull in order to fix the issue. This issue could lie in the core of the OS and then we would have to reinstall the OS."

SC: 'WHAT? I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT! YOU A F***ING STUPID, YOU KNOW THAT? JUST PULL THE F***ING FILE!!!" (My sister was sitting next to me and can varify sonce she could hear him clearly.)

This is where I decie that the call has gotten to the point of no return. Time to have fun!

Me: (Office space style): "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and calm down so that we can get to work on this."

SC: "I'm not working on this with you, you are an arrogant a**hole, you don't know your a** from a hole in the ground. You need to get a f***ing life, all you do is f*** with peoples computers, don't you8 realize that the customers always right?"

Me: (getting louder, not really yelling though) "Sir, I have asked you to calm down, at this point you have made multiple personal attacks that have been loged in my case notes. If you wish to continue this call, then I suggest you settle down and create the user."

SC: "I want your manager."

Me: "I am the manager. the person who gives me my paycheck has no technical knowledge and is only in monday to friday 9 to 5. Futhermore, this call has been written down verbatim in my notes, minus the explitives, which are indicated by asterisks. If my manager was in at this point, he would no doubt have heard you himself. given the class act that you are being, I'm sure you would get nowhere with him."

SC: "You need to check your ego, sh**head."

Me: "I'm sorry, sir? What is that supposed to mean?"

SC: "It means you don't know everything, JUST...PULL...THE...F***ING...FILE!"

Me: "What file do you want me to pull? Maybe your Adobe activation file? Maybe the core system folder?"

SC: "You're a f***ing a**hole."

Me: Sir, did you call to do troubleshooting or just vomit explitives at some faceless tech support rep?"

SC: "I want the phone number for head office!"

Me: "Well there is no direct line, but if you feel strongly, I can give you their mailing address, you will have to reference the case number which does not look favorable to you."

SC: "Fine"

Me: *rhymes off the familliar address that I have to give evertime someone wants to complain about another agent*

SC: "You are an ego maniac. I hope your notes reflect that, a**hole."

Me: (makeing sure the customer can hear each individual key so he knows I am entering it in my notes) "Customer... states... colon... quote... You... are... an... ego... maniac... period... I... hope... your... notes... reflect... that... comma... a askerisk asterisk hole... period"

SC: "Take that last part out."

Me: "Nope."

SC: "Take it out!"

Me: "Umm, no."

SC: "DO IT, OR ELSE!"

Me: "Was that a personal threat, sir?"

SC: "Damned right it was a personal threat, take it out or I'm suing the company and I will see you burried alive!"

Me: "Sir, I regret to inform you that I am not (companies) legal councel. At this point since you have threatened legal action against the company, and made personal threats agains't myself, I will be forced to end this call. I will be calling the authorities in your area. If you wish to persue legal action against this corperation, I would suggest you have your legal councel contact our legal department. The address and phone number are readily available on our public website. Goodbye."

Release... Smoke Break.... email manager to call the SC's local police, with case notes attached.... Stress Leave.
    At least Adam and Steve don't have to worry about leaving the toilet seat up

whoaaaaaaa

This guy really, seriously needed to calm down.

Quoth anode_probe View Post
    Me: (makeing sure the customer can hear each individual key so he knows I am entering it in my notes) "Customer... states... colon... quote... You... are... an... ego... maniac... period... I... hope... your... notes... reflect... that... comma... a askerisk asterisk hole... period"

SC: "Take that last part out."

Me: "Nope."

SC: "Take it out!"

Me: "Umm, no."

SC: "DO IT, OR ELSE!"

Me: "Was that a personal threat, sir?"
    That was poetic. It really was. I have a real respect for how you handled that call!
    No good news is good bad news

Comment

Too bad jerkoff never bothered the read all the points of the "Patriot Act". That would be enough probable cause to charged with a terrorist threat and get a good dose of detainment "Gitmo Style" with NO legal representation.

BTW I'm serious about that. If you're on this side of the Atlantic, dont run your mouth on the phone and certainly NOT on the internet without thinking.

Comment

Not even going to try, anode probe. You win.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth anode_probe View Post
          SC: "You are an ego maniac. I hope your notes reflect that, a**hole."

A classic example of "Be careful what you wish for..." Bravo!
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Beautiful.

Kepp us posted as to outcome.

Comment

I'm impressed...That was a work of art...

Comment

I really hope your call center records all incoming calls like mine does(we have to-lying to a rep is grounds for termination of service-aka "breach of Contract"and all early termination fees apply)

BlaqueKatt-loves being a professional, and courteous B***h-we're trained that way
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Yikes! Yeah, you had the Call From Hell, no question. I hope you have a relaxing, pleasant, wonderful Stress Leave, you definitely deserve it!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Man that was a crap call.

One thing I use with know-it-all clients is the "prove 'em wrong approach." Basically, if the idiot believes that he is absolutely sure of the problem and refuses to accept your answer, then do it and when it doesn't work, he will feel an inch high and hopefully accept your solution.

Comment

OMG, that sounds like a guy I had to talk to one day. He called in, and my rep did her dead air speech for like, 2 minutes (only need to do it for 20 seconds) so she went above and beyond waiting for this guy. He started yelling at her and demands a manager. I get on the phone, and he's nice for about...2 seconds. Then he starts yelling and then SCREAMING. Like, at the top of his lungs at me. The only thing I ever got out was my name, and "sir."
                      A manager came over and saw the rep on the verge of tears and I was just turning red with anger and amazement. Im pretty pale, and blush very easily. The guy was yelling so loud, the manager heard him at her desk about 6 feet away. She dialed into the call and listened for about a minute and then came over, put him on mute and said "You guys dont need to take this." and took over the call. She became my personal hero at that moment. She was such a b*tch to this guy, but it was so deserved. He escalated above her to an area manager, who he started talkin all buddy buddy with because that manager was a guy. I looked over his notes sine we were going to report him to our legal dept incase he got out of hand again, and come to find that he has escalated every time he talks to a female and dogs the hell out of them until he gets a guy.

Your guys sounds just as psycho as the one I talked to, maybe more with the personal threats!

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                        Basically, if the idiot believes that he is absolutely sure of the problem and refuses to accept your answer, then do it and when it doesn't work, he will feel an inch high and hopefully accept your solution.
                        Hehe I always do that to people. I may not be an expert, but I do know a great deal about things. Soooo I usually know how to fix things. Some people insist that I don't know what I'm talking about, and refuse to accept my solution. For them, I simply smile and nod, and leave them to their own devices. The solution is there, it's not my problem if they don't accept it and proceed to screw up their equipment.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth KamenRiderOsaka View Post
                          I looked over his notes sine we were going to report him to our legal dept incase he got out of hand again, and come to find that he has escalated every time he talks to a female and dogs the hell out of them until he gets a guy.
                          I don't understand that mindset (but then again, I'm not a sexist, moronic arsehat). You don't need to possess a Y chromosome to correct a problem.
                          Hey buddy, I've got your problem-solver right here:
                          Last edited by XCashier; 12-22-2006, 07:04 PM.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

That's a hellish call, all right. I've dealt with my share of people like that. There's always a simple solution to a problem, yet you have people like this who refuse to make it easy on anyone including themselves.

Keep us posted! I'm sure this is not the last you will hear of that sorry bastard.

Comment

You let them verbally abuse you more than once? I know alot of call centers give one warning then disconnect you and log the reason.

Three words about that call:

WHAT

AN

ASSMONKEY!!!
                              "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                              "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                              My MySpace
                              My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                              X