This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are not a good tech if....

OK, there are some good techs and some not-so-good ones. I have found one way to measure their competence level is look at what software/hardware they recommend to their clients.

A person is NOT a good tech if:

He/she recommends using Internet Explorer over Firefox or Opera. Now I know using a 3rd party browser won't exactly make you invincible, but at least it's won't let everything in like IE which is known as the "open door." And don't tell me about IE 7 - it's basically version 6 with a new skin. Oh and BTW, I know by default Firefox can't access certain web pages but that's fixed by installing the IEtab extention.

He/she recommends using Norton Internet Security instead of something better. I have been a tech for 6 years (2 with the company I am with now) and I am amazed at how many times I have to remove this piece of crap software to fix a customer's issue. Version 2006 was a blatant embarrassment to the company, and 2007 isn't much better. Mcafee is also following in the same path. Instead of Norton, there is NOD32, AVG, Antivir, Kaspersky, or F-secure. Any of those are much better alternatives.

He/she recommends ANY Lexmark printer. Yeah, the printer only costs $80. Wait 'till you have to buy the ink. By contrast, a $150 Canon printer not only delivers better quality, but it's ink is a LOT less expensive and lasts much longer. In short, the money you saved will be lost very, very quickly.

He/she recommends a Dell PC "for the support." Dell PCs are actually pretty good (just not the low-end ones!), but trying to get a tech you can actually understand is worse than trying to get a date with Evangeline Lily.

If the client cannot afford a PC with a Intel Core 2 Duo, he/she recommends a PC with a Pentium 4 instead of an AMD "because of the name." The Core 2 CPUs are the fastest right now, but the next fastest are the AMD Athlon X2s. The P4 is junk, even though the clock speeds are higher. I'll try to make a comparison: the P4 is a sports car while the AMD X2 is a pickup truck. While the sports car is fast, it can only carry a small load in it's trunk and needs to come back to reload several times, while the pickup truck is slower but can carry the entire load at once in it's bed, so it gets the job done much quicker. The Core 2? A combo of the 2.
    Oh, and please don't say Intel CPUs are more reliable. I am currently using a nearly 6 year old AMD 1.2GHz T-bird that has never failed me.
    Last edited by sld72382; 12-30-2006, 04:47 AM.

Heh, I'm like Stong Bad when it comes to computers. Even though I am very good with them, build my own, and have my A+ certification, I stick with very obsolete technology. I don't upgrade until I have to. My main computer has a 1.4 Ghz Pentium 3, 512 MB of RAM, Radeon 9600, and a 120 GB hard drive. This computer is technically 9 years old because it started as a 486 I bought for $1 and was continually upgraded, recycling the old into the new. I even rolled over my file organisation methods, just copied them onto the larger hard drive. The computer case dates back to 2000. The DVD-ROM drive dates back to 2001 or 2002 IIRC.

/Uses AVG.
    //Remembers trying to fing 512 L2 cache chips for my 486
    ///Then find out that the 256K cache chips are faster because the 486 can access the two banks of 128Kb cache faster than a single 512Kb bank as well as the importance of block size. (Looks at all the blank faces of other users having no idea what I just said.)
    ////Remembers upgrading his video RAM to 2Mb, 16 bit color at 800x600 w00t.
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

I agree on the Norton part.
      While ive never delt with its fallout aftermath.
      My dad works on computers, and everytime he gets one with norton, he almost has to reformat the harddrive to get the computer to act right.
      Its unreal.

Dont forget AoHell. While its a good service for people who are not computer literate.(Hey i cant do math can i write that off as math illiterat, or am i going to be called stupid too?) And honestly it is, if you arent savvy, you can still find things, and if you are a smooth talker, you can get it for free. Heres the secret, just try and cancel it. Works every time.
      Last edited by symposes; 12-30-2006, 01:24 PM.
      http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
      Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I'm running Norton Antivirus 2005 - before they started to add all of the additional bloatware. As soon as it expires, I'm going to NOD32 or AVG.

Agreed on AMD being reliable - I had an original Slot A Athlon 550 o/c'd to 650 that lasted the whole time I had it (~4 years) before I sold it. Now I've got a Socket A Athlon XP 2100+ I've had for 4 + years (used to be my main machine before being handed down to the kids) with no problems.

Comment

You are not a good tech if...you get mentioned in one of Phone Jockey's posts.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
            He/she recommends a Dell PC "for the support." Dell PCs are actually pretty good (just not the low-end ones!), but trying to get a tech you can actually understand is worse than trying to get a date with Evangeline Lily.
            "Dell" and "support" do not belong in the same sentence.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
              Oh, and please don't say Intel CPUs are more reliable. I am currently using a nearly 6 year old AMD 1.2GHz T-bird that has never failed me.
              I'm not a fan of Intels either. Too many problems with them at work. My current machine runs a 4-year-old AMD 1.25Ghz. So far, no problems. Sure, it's not as fast, but that's not why I bought it--cost and reliability were the main factors.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

After having used IE for 5 years, and having used FF for the last 1 1/2, I can say that FF is better and would recommend it over anything else.

I am currently using System Suite Pro 6 and it is great. I will not use Mcafee, even if it was free for 2 years. It came with the AOL software, when I used it about 3 years ago. AOL and Mcafee together couldn't protect my computer from squat, and SSP6 is better than both put together.

Isn't Lexmart going out of buisness. I heard this somewhere, but coudn't tell you were. I figured as such, since there printers are so cheap. I just shake my head when I see someone walking past with a Lexmart box. I had one several years ago and it was cheap junk.

From what I have heard about Dell, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I have been looking at a new computer lately. Since I have an intel I was looking at the AMD ones. They just seem better than the intels out there. The AMD looks stonger and faster than the intels.
                Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

I have been looking at a new computer lately. Since I have an intel I was looking at the AMD ones. They just seem better than the intels out there. The AMD looks stonger and faster than the intels.
                  It depends on how much you want to spend. If you are under a budget that limits you to a Pentium D or an Athlon X2, get the X2. If you can swing it and be able to afford a Core 2 Duo, get that.

Comment

I have to agree with the original post across the bar

Core 2 Duo is right snapping good.

But, I love my old Athlon 64 3000+.

33% overclock on stock cooling ( I run it 25% just to be safe )
                    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      A person is NOT a good tech if:

He/she recommends using Internet Explorer over Firefox or Opera.
                      Bad, bad sld72382 for suggesting firefox. Firefox is not more bulletproof than IE. If firefox was bulletproof, there would never be a update other than for new features. By my last count, firefox been updated more than IE7 has. IE problem is it's too popular. The more popular a software is the more it's targeted. And IE7 is not IE6 with a new skin, lets not let bias spread false information. The problem with IE (as well as firefox) is simple, to make them bullet proof you have to force the user to never go to any website that isn't safe, ever. Which will never happen because the pull of the "wtf is that" is just too great.

However, lets not go into a firefox vs IE debate. Firefox has it's good points and IE has their good points. Both have their bad points. A great tech will tell them to use both and pick the one they like best.
                      Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      He/she recommends using Norton Internet Security instead of something better.
                      Today, Norton sucks. They get recommended because their name stand for something that has been long lost. I think I still have an old Norton Disk Tools disk somewhere.
                      Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      He/she recommends ANY Lexmark printer.
                      That one made me laugh. Ink is expensive period. I never would have thought that laser printers becoming cheaper than ink. Anyhow, I would throw HP, Epson, Cannon printers into that mix too. They all have really bad printers. (It's really hard getting a good model out of a mess of crappy models)
                      Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      He/she recommends a Dell PC "for the support."
                      Support? Whats that? I've yet to find a support department for a computer manufacture that was worth anything.
                      Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      If the client cannot afford a PC with a Intel Core 2 Duo, he/she recommends a PC with a Pentium 4 instead of an AMD "because of the name."
                      Again, bad bad sld72382
                      I have never had a processor go bad on me. I have had many many motherboards go bad. Majority of problems are because of the motherboards or faulty heat sinks. I love both Intel and AMD. Both have been very stable for me, however I also make sure I get a very good motherboard to go along with it.

Any motherboard with VIA (or SIS) chipset is probably going to be the cause of stability problems. A good tech would never suggest a computer with those motherboards

My best way to tell if you got a good tech or bad tech. A good tech will not get confused by going off the "script" when you ask a question that isn't on their list.
                      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                        Bad, bad sld72382 for suggesting firefox. Firefox is not more bulletproof than IE. If firefox was bulletproof, there would never be a update other than for new features. By my last count, firefox been updated more than IE7 has.
                        That's not a bad thing. I see regular updates to stay ahead of the security curve as a good thing. I remember somebody complaining that they didn't like AVG as a virus detector because it update it's virus definitions like every day. Had to explain to him that it's actually a good thing, not a bad thing.

The big security problem with IE is that it's too closely bound to the OS. Crack into IE, and you can do things that you wouldn't be able to if you found a flaw in FF.

And IE7 is not IE6 with a new skin, lets not let bias spread false information.
                        I tried using IE7 for about two minutes. Couldn't stand the interface.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                          That's not a bad thing. I see regular updates to stay ahead of the security curve as a good thing.
                          I agree. I was pointing that statement to those tech who prompt firefox out as secure and bulletproof.
                          Quoth trunks2k View Post
                          The big security problem with IE is that it's too closely bound to the OS. Crack into IE, and you can do things that you wouldn't be able to if you found a flaw in FF.
                          Actually, that not exactly true. The "bound" to the OS, is nothing more than an interface to the drawing window and a few API calls. Firefox could do it if it wanted to, but then they couldn't be able to call themselves cross-platform.

Both firefox and IE allow the user to install programs (activex is a program). Anytime you install a program that isn't screened/validated/etc... you run the risk of installing a spyware/virus.
                          Quoth trunks2k View Post
                          I tried using IE7 for about two minutes. Couldn't stand the interface.
                          Some people don't like IE7, some do. Just like some people don't like the color green and some do. If you don't like IE7, then fine pick another browser.
                          If you suggest firefox because you like the interface better, that's fine. I have no problem with that. However, once you cross that line and say firefox is better because it's more secure. That crossing into myth land. And you're not being a good tech for saying that.
                          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
                            Dont forget AoHell. While its a good service for people who are not computer literate.(Hey i cant do math can i write that off as math illiterat, or am i going to be called stupid too?)
                            In the game Tron 2.0, you get to kill "resource hogs" and they all have names like OAL80.exe, ENN386.COM and etc.. It's not only fun but really funny.

BTW, The Dell WARRANTY SERVICE is OK. I wouldn't ever recommend their tech support (see IllWillPress.com for the smell tech support), but I've used their warranty service quite a bit at work in a couple of different jobs and they're usually johnny on the spot for getting the replacement part shipped out and, for some repairs, a tech on site within 24 hours. The only thing better is HP, but our contract is the 800 lb gorilla that requires 4 hour resolution.
                            Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
                              I agree on the Norton part.
                              So do I.

The most recent problem was with a computer that my one friend wanted me to fix for her dad. The biggest complaint was that it was "slow." Unfortunately, there wasn't a whole lot I could do for it, because there was really nothing major wrong with it. From what I saw, the guy who built it for him used ancient parts, some of them so old that the only way I could find a description at all was from Ebay listings for these same parts, which were selling for 2 or 3 bucks.

One thing I always ask for are any discs, especially the operating system. Turned out there were none. The guy had installed Win 2000, because "he didn't like XP." More likely, he installed 2000 because there wasn't any activation crap preventing you from installing it on more than one computer like XP has (not that it can't be defeated.)

About the only thing I could do was get all the OS updates, which I was sure hadn't been done, since he's still stuck on dialup. When I tried, I got some weird error message. After a bit of Googling, I discovered Norton was preventing it from getting the updates. I probably could have solved it by going in and playing around with the settings, but she wanted me to get Norton off and replace it with AVG anyway, so I just did that. Once Norton was gone, the updates came thru just fine.

She's since hired me to built a new computer for her dad, and also one for her son. It's nice to know she trusts me not to rip her off like that other guy did to her dad.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X