Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't know what it is or called but it's broke?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what it is or called but it's broke?

Quote from other thread brings me to today's fun.
    Quoth csquared View Post
    And, of course, if you had ordered that part for him, it would be your fault.
    Woman shows up at counter- and leads off with thread title.
    Takes me 5min to wiggle out of her something is wrong with her 11yo van.
    She needs me to go out and look at it so she gets the right part.

What part? How do you know it's bad?
    She was told it was bad-by who? My mech.
    He didn't tell you the part name?
    No
    Who the shop?
    she mutters
    OK look this part is prob going to be several hundred $, and as electrical and special order there will be NO RETURNS---.
    But he showed me the part and I want to right one.
    ??
    OK I drag outside and look at what she point at.
    Something with a electrical conn on the trans. (great my breakdowns are random parts floating around the car.)
    10min later with jugging 2 mechs the phone and a driver from near by dealership p/u a part. ( I love being a dept of one)
    I think I got the part- I show her the "pic"
    ahhh I'm not sure what I'm looking at
    giggle that makes 2 of us.
    So I guess at a random trans solenoid pack at $224
    I give 5th warning that she may want to be sure before getting it.
    SHE TAKES THE WARNING!!
    She takes the pic with price and PN to make sure.

I think this was just a long ass waist of time to get a PN to order online.
    Meh.
    I need a normal job.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

No, this is a good thing. See, SHE orders the part. SHE'S responsible for it being the right part. She has NO legal standing to make this your problem if the part is wrong. If you had ordered it, even with the "No return/refund" warning, it would still be "your fault". Now, the only person she can yell at is herself.

Comment

Ahh, this is my life.

I need the thingy. What's the car? The blue one over there.

Had a customer come in claiming I sold him the wrong bulbs for this brake lights.
      Double checked and the ones I sold him were right. Come to find out he needed bulbs for the WHITE brake lights in the back.
      Otherwise known as back up lights which guess what, take different bulbs.

And no I don't take bulbs back once the package is open.

"Have and nice day".

Comment

My grandfather hated customers like that. Sometimes he would send an 8-year-old me to look at the back of the car and the NY registration sticker to get the year, make, and model of the car while he was talking to Himbo the wannabe mechanic
        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

What I don’t understand is why basic car upkeep and maintenance isn’t part of the mandatory school learning. I don’t mean a full out mechanic course but the bare bone basics. How to check and top up your fluids, change a tire, what all the ‘oh shit’ lights mean (the ones that light up on the dash when something needs adjusting/fixing), oil change. But somehow how some dead dude killed off his wives was deemed more important then how to maintain your best means of transport.

I only know that stuff because my grandad was a naval engineer and couldn’t stop tinkering with every and I do mean EVERYthing. I learned how to maintain a car from him. Mostly to be fair to keep him from taking apart every mechanical bit and bop within a two block radius. He was the guy who would take apart his watch in class just to see what made it tick... then insure when he put it back together it was made more efficient. If education had been affordable he would probably have been making robot limbs for amputees that functioned better then an actual limb or something like that.
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

I'm all for needing a license to buy parts. Just to prove you know what your doing.
            You need training and a license to braid hair but to work on a 2 ton death machine that can kill its occupants and others around it you just need to say "I work on cars".

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
              What I don’t understand is why basic car upkeep and maintenance isn’t part of the mandatory school learning. I don’t mean a full out mechanic course but the bare bone basics. How to check and top up your fluids, change a tire, what all the ‘oh shit’ lights mean (the ones that light up on the dash when something needs adjusting/fixing), oil change. But somehow how some dead dude killed off his wives was deemed more important then how to maintain your best means of transport.

I only know that stuff because my grandad was a naval engineer and couldn’t stop tinkering with every and I do mean EVERYthing. I learned how to maintain a car from him. Mostly to be fair to keep him from taking apart every mechanical bit and bop within a two block radius. He was the guy who would take apart his watch in class just to see what made it tick... then insure when he put it back together it was made more efficient. If education had been affordable he would probably have been making robot limbs for amputees that functioned better then an actual limb or something like that.
              I know the basic stuff, but I learned it through reading Chilton's auto repair manuals and being so broke I couldn't possibly pay a mechanic to do things like tune-ups and oil changes. The first couple of times my brother helped me out, but then I got competent enough to do it without supervision. My mom and older sis both took what was called a "powder puff" automotive maintenance and repair class in night school, but by the time I was old enough the class was no longer offered.

Comment

My dad made sure that I knew enough to change a tire, check and top off oil, radiator, brake and transmission fluids, drive a manual and an automatic [and inadvertantly through giving me a job the yard semi tractor, indoor and outdoor fork lifts and a trackrider] and to always do the scheduled routine maintenance.

When I was in the machine shop, I learned a lot more because we would get bored in the November-December holiday season and do silly shit like pull cars in to do engine rebuilds and such - I rebuilt my mustang engine using the instructions in the back of whichever manual we had [may have been a Chiltons?]
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                X