X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always start with, "okay, credit card number and expiration date please..."

Comment

This is reminding me of a lady who called 911 for her sister who had a fever. Hoping to get a faster response, she lied and told dispatch that her sister had just gotten back from Africa and might have Ebola. I hope she gets a giant fine.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        This is frequently a problem with 911 calls. I've had patients call 911 and INSIST an ambulance come out because they were tired of waiting in the waiting room.

Dispatch had no choice but to send the rig. Boy was the paramedic PISSED. She refused to load the outraged SC and drive her around the corner to the ambulance bay just so the charge nurse could send the SC right back to the waiting room.
        I hope a huge fine was levied, and true justice would be this SC having to explain all this to a judge!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          This is reminding me of a lady who called 911 for her sister who had a fever. Hoping to get a faster response, she lied and told dispatch that her sister had just gotten back from Africa and might have Ebola. I hope she gets a giant fine.
          Was the sister in on the lie? If not, that 'lady' should be more afraid of her.

I do not know all of the specifics but, I know the general parts. Isolation, being stuck like a pin cushion, having your temperature taken by people all wearing protective gear, being pumped full of antibiotics (which will affect your bowels in very 'negative' ways), and I am sure there are many many more. All of which costs tons of money, none of which will be covered by insurance (because of fraud, lady lied).

Makes a giant fine look kind.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

If he can't make his own tea, maybe it's time to consider moving to a nursing home. Then he wouldn't have to worry about the stupid kitchen late at night either.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
              I hope a huge fine was levied, and true justice would be this SC having to explain all this to a judge!
              $2,800 fine(well the expenses for calling out the hazmat team) and possible criminal charges.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                $2,800 fine(well the expenses for calling out the hazmat team) and possible criminal charges.
                And we have pwanage!

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
                  She passed away before fall detection equipment became affordable.
                  I'm sorry for you loss. *HUGS*

Comment

Yeah we have some button abusers here too. In fact, I'm working right now and have been in for three hours already. One scheme resident has already called for carers four times (once immediately after the carer had just left).

Comment

I'd love it if hospitals and residential facilities had two nurse/carer call buttons: one for emergencies (I've fallen/I'm bleeding/I think I'm having a heart attack), and one for non-emergencies that still need attention (I need help to the bathroom/could you please refill my water jug/etc).
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        *whistles innocently* I might have done that. Fallen and been unable to get up and just waited until Toth got home .... maybe ....
                        I also have been in the situation of not having the strength to get off the couch/chair; but I'm doing a lot better about being willing to ping Toth or Bast.
                        I feel like this might be me someday, honestly. I'm a little bit of a control freak (not saying that you are though!). After my second thyroid cancer surgery, I was having some trouble coming up out of anesthesia, and I kept slumping over and having little bouts of apnea.

The pulse ox alarm would sound, I would bolt upright and yell "I'm okay!" and then doze right back off and do it again. I was absolutely adamant that not breathing was totally fine and under control. So I can see myself one day going "oh well the floor is comfy enough, I'll just wait."

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          I'd love it if hospitals and residential facilities had two nurse/carer call buttons: one for emergencies (I've fallen/I'm bleeding/I think I'm having a heart attack), and one for non-emergencies that still need attention (I need help to the bathroom/could you please refill my water jug/etc).
                          Wouldn't do any good. For the SCs, THEIR problem is always an emergency, so (in their minds) their empty water jug should take priority over someone else's heart attack.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Ah, but people like me would be more likely to USE our call buttons. And yes, there would be ones who would use the non-urgent button for a situation that's actually got some urgency to it; but it's better than not notifying the nurses/carers at all.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've been in the hospital a couple of times recently. I'm usually willing to push the call button. That's what it's for. For some non-emergency stuff I wait until the next time someone comes for blood pressure. If the nurse is busy, usually an aide comes to check what you need. I refuse to feel guilty for pushing the button. I have found though that at my favorite hospital they check on me or bug me often enough that it takes care of all the little requests.

Comment

When I was in first grade, I had my appendix out. I recall one incident in which I pressed the call button.

Since I was NPO for a while, I was on an IV. It had a rigid bottle that dripped into a "header" chamber, and that chamber ran to the needle. I guess the nurses must have been behind schedule for some reason, because the bottle ran dry. I saw that, and pressed the button. They were able to get a new bottle on before the "header" emptied.

Anyone in the medical field, would you be surprised if a young patient hit the call for such an event?
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X