Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halloween Eve is even scarier than Halloween!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or like the woman in the grocery store on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at 8 pm. She was standing in the aisle, shelves picked pretty clean, complaining that the store was out of canned turkey gravy! The nerve!
    To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
    To pursue it with forks and hope;
    To threaten its life with a railway share;
    To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Of course the store management KNOWS that some things (like the gravy you mentioned, or cranberry sauce) sell in large quantities before Thanksgiving and Christmas, but hardly any at other times of the year. Because of this, they WANT to run out at closing time on the day before the holiday, but they tend to err on the side of caution (from their viewpoint, due to low margins it's better to miss a few sales by running out early than to be stuck with excess inventory after the holiday).

The moral of the story is to buy seasonal items EARLY, while the store still has stock.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Ya know, TG is close enough to XMAS that I'd just order all I felt I would need for BOTH holidays in time for TG That shit lasts a long time. I'd let it run low once we got close to XMAS.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

*offers cookies hugs and kittens*

That made ME feel bad just reading it!

Comment

It's like the people who whine and bitch at me because I told them back before Halloween that big custom quilt orders take time.

Yet every year I get emails around the second week of December demanding that I make them a big complicated quilt - oh and they need it before December 20th, thanks so much.

Then get capslock rage-y when I tell them no. "But you said....!!!" "No ma'am, I told you that Queen size quilts take me about 6 weeks to make and you'd need to let me know early. Besides, I have other orders ahead of you that I am finishing up."
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
              It's like the people who whine and bitch at me because I told them back before Halloween that big custom quilt orders take time. ..."No ma'am, I told you that Queen size quilts take me about 6 weeks to make and you'd need to let me know early. Besides, I have other orders ahead of you that I am finishing up."
              People really have no clue what goes into creating things, whether sewing a costume or quilt, knitting or crocheting, decorating a cake, etc. It takes a lot of skill, sweat and time to do a project. And if the sewing machine breaks down, the fabric shrinks in the wash, the yarn gets tangled or has a defect, any of hundreds of things that can go wrong, it'll take even more time. Not to mention, the more projects you have going will multiply the time needed as well.

"Whaddaya mean, this project will take six weeks?! I can go to VoldeMart and buy one right now!" Yes, you certainly could, but it won't be as pretty or as comfortable as something a good crafter can make by hand. And it definitely won't be personalized the way you want it.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Actually at Really Big Craft Show this year I was apparently the ONLY handmade quilts in the entire show.

So I got a lot of people wanting custom stuff and they seemed to understand that a custom quilt from me means that they get exactly what they want. King size quilt with neon yellow sunflowers? Sure. Queen size with giant green and blue sea turtles? No problem.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
                  Or like the woman in the grocery store on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at 8 pm. She was standing in the aisle, shelves picked pretty clean, complaining that the store was out of canned turkey gravy! The nerve!
                  She must be a cousin of the moron who once turned up at 5:30pm on Christmas Eve one year when I was still working checkouts to do her ENTIRE Christmas shop. The store closes at 6pm, by the way, and the whole store was pretty much empty of food, not just Christmas food. The woman whinged and bitched at every single member of staff she saw about the fact that we had no turkeys left, no veg, no bread, no cranberry sauce or gravy and no crackers. Eventually she left, leaving her trolley in the aisle, bitching about how we lost a customer and she was going to find a decent supermarket that actually had food to sell! At nearly 6pm on Christmas Eve? Yeah, good luck with that.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                  X