This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So angry he doesn't want help

So yesterday I was up in the sales office, where I've been spending most of my time.

Yesterday as I was close to ending my shift, my phone rang. My phone was recently set-up to ring as an over-flow for the catering manager's line, who I work most closely with (before that, it was a null line...you could call out but couldn't call in, or something...I didn't use it). To get catering manager's number, you either need to have corresponded with her, or you need to dig around our website to scrounge it up under the weddings section, since that's the only place online it is listed. It's a very random place to look for a phone number when you are merely trying to reach someone, so what happened next really threw me for a loop.

Me: "This is bhskittykatt, how may I assist you?"
    SC: "I've been trying to get a hold of your front desk for over half an hour and no one is answering the phone!"

So...trying to get a hold of someone at the front desk...and ends up calling catering, which you find the direct number buried in the weddings section of the site. This is totally making sense, right? But hey, I'm trained in the front desk, and am technically still a front office GSR on paper, and even though I'm in a completely different area of the resort I still have access to the property management system and front office files, so we can still do this, right?

Me: "Well, I can assist you. How can I help?"
    SC: "This is so unprofessional! Why is no one answering the phone?"
    Me: "I am not sure as I am not down there, but I would be happy to help you right now."
    SC: "Just put me through to [Front Office Manager]."
    Me: "I'm sorry, but [FOM] is not in today. I can take a message for her."
    SC: "It's very important that I get a call back! I just want to talk to someone!"
    Me: So...I'm not a someone? "Well, can I get your name and to what this is regarding? I will have someone at the desk call you back as soon as they are available."
    SC: "NO! You don't need my name!"
    Me: "Okay..."
    SC: "..."
    Me: "..."
    SC: "Just give me [FOM]'s voicemail!"
    Me: "Certainly, one moment while I connect you."

After I got him off the phone, I called the desk. It rang a few more times than normal, and when they answered, it sounded like a mosh pit in the background on the other end.
    Me: "You're busy...I'll call you back."

A few minutes later I called them again when they weren't busy, and got an interesting story.
    Apparently, they were swamped (obviously, from the background noise) with a large group check-in. Someone kept calling them. They were told that the lobby was busy, would be busy for the short-term future, and offered a call-back, but the person on the phone refused to provide any information and said they would hold. So they went on hold...and kept hanging up and calling back, only to continue to be placed on hold. The area code matched whoever called me, so we're thinking it's the same person.

I emailed FOM so she was apprised. It's not her department's fault that they got busy (whether or not it's her fault for under-scheduling is a post for another section).

I was just a bit bemused that this person was so pissed off at not reaching anyone, that when he finally did reach someone (me) he refused all offers of help and opted to leave a voicemail for someone who was off that day instead.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Some people are simply beyond help...

Comment

There's a guy who's his own worst enemy. It will now take over a day for him to get the help he claims to need so badly, when he probably could have taken care of it with you.

Any bets on whether all he really needed was the answer to a question that you probably know?

A CW of mine had a customer who was much like that guy. She would call and get CW's voicemail but refused to leave a message. Instead she'd call the main dept. number, wait on hold for as long as it took, then complain that CW was "never at her desk." Actually that CW was probably the most conscientious person in the dept. and would have called her back within a few minutes, but nooo....not good enough.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So much effort, just to complain and not actually get any help. Why are people so odd about phones? We had a bunch of people today call and ask really specific questions. Like, do you have rose colored worsted weight yarn made of part acrylic part wool? No? Well how about emerald green 60" wide 95% polyester 5% spandex? How about a 3" cylindrical Christmas ornament which is iridescent and unbreakable?

And why don't people want to give basic info to someone that they called? I mean, it's not like you're asking for a SSN or anything. Just, you know, how to contact them?
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Anyone wanna bet the guy didn't leave a callback number in his message?
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            ... and then called back again to complain about not getting a call back.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I'm just wondering what he wanted so badly. My guess? He wanted to know if the hotel pool offers extra towels, or if guests need to bring their own. That's certainly an emergency that mandates a dozen+ calls in a short time, right? Right?

That, or he wanted to know the if current specials listed on the front page of your company's website were the ONLY specials...After all, you must be holding the GOOD ones aside for awesome people like him
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                Actually, I followed up with FOM today. He didn't leave a message, period.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                  Actually, I followed up with FOM today. He didn't leave a message, period.
                  But somewhere someone is stewing because, even though they didn't leave a name and call back number, someone should be contacting them back and they should automatically know what that person is upset over.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Sounds kinda like someone who called our place the other day, asking for the office manager -- she was out, so he said to tell her to "Call Steve." Didn't leave any info; the only reason we knew a number to call was because he called in on the main line, the only one with caller ID. Turns out that the OM had never met him before, and yet, he felt that "Steve" was more than enough info for her to go on. Bonus points: He was one of those people who carries on conversations with other people while the phone is ringing, and during every 1-second pause in the phone conversation -- and give them higher priority than the business he is actually calling...>_<
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                      ... and then called back again to complain about not getting a call back.
                      I have had this happen at work MANY times.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X