This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zumba!

So I finally caved. A lot of gyms around here are doing Zumba classes and the concept looked kind of interesting to me, although I'd initially passed it off as a fad from the "Seen it on TV" type of crap.

However, a lot of people have been rabbitting on about the benefits of Zumba and I did some research. Turns out there's a group that runs Zumba classes without me needing a gym membership and they're right near my house.

So what should I expect? Anything different from a normal fitness class?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Well, it depends on your instructor, but expect lots of butt shaking, latin american dance, a little hip hop, some african dancing...it's loads of fun and you walk out as sweaty as hell, but you feel like a sex goddess (well....I do anyway after a class....)

if you have knee or hip problems, then let the instructor know so s/he can show you alternative moves.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
      Well, it depends on your instructor, but expect lots of butt shaking, latin american dance, a little hip hop, some african dancing...it's loads of fun and you walk out as sweaty as hell, but you feel like a sex goddess (well....I do anyway after a class....)

if you have knee or hip problems, then let the instructor know so s/he can show you alternative moves.
      Thanks. Definitely looking forward to it now

at the sex goddess comment

Re knee/hip problems, the worst for me is this sharp pain I'll get on occasion if I'm on a register for too long. My problems are more on my shoulder.

Comment

They offer them for free at the gym I go to. Unfortunately, they are only during the afternoon/evening and on Wednesdays an hour or so after I usually leave the gym (and I usually don't work out on Wednesdays anyway).

I really want to try, though!
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'd definitely try to grab the instructor before class and let he/she (most likely "she") know that you're new. Otherwise, just have fun, don't get discouraged, and enjoy!
          "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

I took 1 class (wanted to go back sooo bad, schedule not work so well) any way, it was a lot of fun; call the people that are offering the class, or go see them before class, explain that you just want to know what to expect;
            You will go from fast to slower and back, this alternating keeps your heart/metabolism from plateauing on you for maximum calorie burn (or so that's what my instructor said)

don't be afraid to be goofy; if you can't figure out what to do/how to do it, improvise! as long as you keep moving you'll be doing fine.

Salsa, reggeton, samba, belly dance, hip-hop, lots of hip movement, KEEP YOUR CORE TIGHT, or at least try to; it will seriously help with the calorie burn

Have FUN!!
            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

So I did my first class tonight (Monday before was a public holiday so no class on) and I LOVED IT.

Instructor was very friendly. I had to sign the standard liability waiver, so she knew I was new. Very energetic though and I managed to pick up on some of the mid-level dance moves (i.e. I was jumping at one point, but not crossing my legs like the advanced moved) but mainly did the beginners. The girls in my class seemed ok-this class was all-female: it wasn't a requirement, it was just the way the class was set up.

I am thinking I need some new t-shirts or singlets tho, doing it in an old polo-shirt is VERY annoying.

Comment

We run Zumba classes at my school three nights a week. Each night we get at least 60 people turn up! 99% of them are women, but I have noticed that men have started to creep in.

Comment

YAY! Glad you had fun We've had 2 guys join our class - I think they were a little at first, but they enjoy it, we enjoy it, and it's fun for all
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

fireheart, get some good sports bras and tank tops. Your body will thank you for it.
                    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                      fireheart, get some good sports bras and tank tops. Your body will thank you for it.
                      The ones I wear are sports bras given that it is EXTREMELY difficult to find non-lacy bras in an E cup. I don't mind wearing lacy bras, but only occasionally, not as an everyday one.

What I do need to find is some loose t-shirts to wear in class. I wore an old polo shirt last night and it was quite heavy.

This class had around maybe 30-40 people in it, so it was kinda small. This group in particular runs classes every day/night of the week except for Sunday. They run Toning classes on Thursday nights, which I'm planning on doing in a month or so, but I'll speak to the instructor next week. Better yet-there's no requirement that I HAVE to use the toning sticks that they sell (which are like $30), I can use small dumbbells if I want or water bottles (I'm using some small dumbbells since they're pretty cheap)
                      Last edited by fireheart; 03-22-2011, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I tried Zumba for the first time last week and loved it. It's a nice change from the treadmill and stairmill. My boyfriend would do it but he'd be too self-conscious shaking his booty in front of a bunch of women. Sometimes it's nice to be a girl.

Comment

Working...
                        X