Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this is awful. I'll keep the victims of this disaster in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

I was thinking about this and was sprprised to see it on the news.

Hurricane Katrina, the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, 2010 Haiti earthquake, the Thames flooding, even (locally to me) hurricane Wilma in a small bit. Whenever disaster strikes there is almost always looting and lawlessness. The bigger the disaster, the more there is.

Apparently there is none of that in Japan now. Some people say it's because of the religions others say it's the strict environment they live in, others say it is their strict moral code and their willingness to do the right thing.

Despite this disaster, there is something the world should learn from it. We're all human. Creating chaos only makes recovery take longer. Working together gets you though it and on the road to recovery quickly.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I saw that on the news too, draggar.

Not only was I highly impressed with the fact there was no looting, but that the people were waiting patiently in line for gas, food, and such. They're simply thankful to have the items and help available.

Kinda humbles a person....

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

I am not sure anybody has posted this here yet but ..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42103972...ws-asiapacific

Looks like things are going to be bad...my prayers go out to them..
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            I was thinking about this and was sprprised to see it on the news.

Hurricane Katrina, the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, 2010 Haiti earthquake, the Thames flooding, even (locally to me) hurricane Wilma in a small bit. Whenever disaster strikes there is almost always looting and lawlessness. The bigger the disaster, the more there is.

Apparently there is none of that in Japan now. Some people say it's because of the religions others say it's the strict environment they live in, others say it is their strict moral code and their willingness to do the right thing.

Reminds me of a line from the 1993 Sean Connery/Wesley Snipes movie Rising Sun.

(Spoiler alert for anyone who's never seen it: )

Sean Connery's character is an older cop who's well-versed in the culture and systems of Japan. Wesley Snipes is the hotheaded younger cop who predictably knows little about Japanese life. Both are forced to work together to solve the murder of a young woman who was known to be the girlfriend of a local Japanese yakuza (gangster, similar in that they operate as lethally as the Sicilian Mafia, except under a different set of "honor" codes). Because this murder took place in the building of a large Japanese corporation based on US soil, the potential for bad publicity is huge, and the Japanese owners are pressuring Connery and Snipes to solve the murder in such a way that does NOT bring additional attention to the building or its owners. And because a significant US politician was known to also have attended a big party there the night of the murder, the potential for political scandal is also bringing down additional pressure from the politician and his cronies.

At one point Snipes is bitching about Connery's seemingly calm approach to the case and his quiet but open disdain for Snipes' more brusque and confrontational approach. Connery replies that in Japan, the focus is basically on working as a team instead of looking out for one's individual interests, hence the success of Japanese industry since the days of WW2. Part of the reason for this, is, he says, (paraphrased to the best of my memory) "Here [in America] we look for someone to blame instead of fixing the problem. So nothing ever gets done. Their way is to fix the problem first, then worry about assigning blame later. Their way is better."

I thought that last line was very eloquent and telling.
            Last edited by Amethyst Hunter; 03-17-2011, 08:05 AM. Reason: borked html
            ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Some of my family and friends have been urging me to leave Japan, as they are getting antsy about what they're seeing on TV (I live about 500 miles away from the disaster area), but I've reassured them that I'm fine where I am. I don't blame them for being concerned; it's hard to get accurate information when you're half a world away, especially from today's news media, which loves to sensationalize everything. A prime example is how Japan's nuclear situation is being touted as the next Chernobyl, which has panicky Americans fleeing Japan on chartered planes provided by the U.S. government. The situation here isn't good, but it's no Chernobyl. Not even close. Apparently 10,000 dead and 500,000 homeless isn't a big enough tragedy by itself; the media just has to add as much drama as possible.

Part of the problem lies with American's fear of the nuclear boogeyman. We hear words like "nuclear crisis" and "partial meltdown," and we think of Chernobyl and Three Mile Island and we panic. The truth is, most people outside of Japan don't have a good grasp of what's happening right now, and real vs. imagined threats.

Luckily, a very levelheaded friend of mine lives in Tokyo and has been posting updates via Facebook. She posted a video that explains the current problems at the Fukushima nuclear plant "the Japanese way." It really clears up a lot of things and is disarmingly funny. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1aH2...layer_embedded

Comment

My prayers are going out to everyone who is in the field of danger right now.

Comment

Working...
                X