This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHMAIPANDAGOD.OOOOOOOHNNOOOOOO

Okay so, if this is the wrong place to post it, please do move!

But anyways...

I returned to my child care job where I watch a bunch of kids after school until their parents pick them up.
    And. Ho. Ly. Shiiiiii----

Today....
    All was good today. Just a bit more misbehaving than usual but kids are kids. Had to give one of the kids a HUGE talking to for not listening. Still, not too bad. We ran around, some kids fell, but were OK.
    Had a trooper who got a huge scrape and was crying but didnt want to stop playing.

Then it was time to line up.
    "Line up! Line up line up line up!" I chanted loudly enough so everyone could hear me. All my little kindergartners and 1st graders walked, crawled, and ran to the wall where they all knew to line up against. It was perfect--save for the crawler but as long as they get there unhurt--but I had a few stragglers.

I leave the line to be watched with a coworker while I went over to gather the last ones--then I hear some major crying--like WAILING crying. I'm about to turn around when my coworker brings over one of my kindergartners.
    She's sobbing, wailing, shrieking while her arms are folded against her chest.

CW: She fell--I think she broke her arm.

WHAT.

I quickly look back at her and notice that she's holding one of her arms, not actually just folding them up--and half way down her forearm, it starts to slightly bend away from the body.

Whatthefuckisthatisthatreallybendingawayisthatbrok enomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg.

He tells me that she was in line, jumping or something and tripped over another girl's feet and fell.

Yea. That's it. No one attacked anyone She didn't fall off of something. She just tripped and fell.

It's been a little over 2 hours ago since this happened. I had to watch the rest of my groups so I have no idea what my supervisors reacted or how her parents reacted. All I know is that my boss has not talked to me about it--well they asked for me to write down what happened but it was my coworker that saw what happened, not me so they had him do it instead.

All I know is that she was in pain -- just thinking about one of my kids--yeah, i call them my kids--being in pain for more than something that's just a "booboo" or scratch or bruise from falling makes me want to cry. Oooh god.

I think my coworker or supervisor called the mom who came to pick the child up.
    That's it.
    That's all I know.

It's only the third week of school.

Please, God, please, no more accidents or scratches or broken limbs. Please. Just...

Even booboos. No more booboos. Please. I can't take it.
    Last edited by iPanda; 09-18-2012, 11:30 PM.

As you said, kids are kids. The scrapes, scars and unfortunately the breaks are are all part of growing up. How I made it so far without wearing a cast is still a mystery to me. I have had a total of 21 stitches from three separate occasions, and a few more scars that did not require a doctor.

It sounds like you managed to remain calm and do what needed to be done. Congrats on a job well done.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Oh lord, reading that made me absolutely CRINGE. Poor kid.

Don't be too upset, it happens. It's not your fault, and she'll be okay.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I broke my wrist running backwards in flats on field day. She'll be fine. Hugs! Kids are tough

Comment

I recall going to the nurse's office almost daily in elementary school, and being proud of it. I swear, Mom had to patch my clothes at least weekly. Only broke a limb once when I was 10, though.

Kids are resilient. Sounds like it probably missed the growth plates since it was bent in the middle of the forearm, so it should heal up nicely. Though for your sake, hope for no more broken bones this year!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

in third grade one kid ran into a wall and broke his arm, we were playing one of those games where you go back and forth in the gym and people try to tag you. I think he hit the wall right where the gym pads ended so he basically ran into a corner.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Oh, that is upsetting. My friend's daughter ended up with a broken arm when an older kid fell on her at church. Yeah, they can get rambunctious. Sometimes when I'm downstairs and the kids are upstairs after service it sounds like a herd of buffalo. And most of them are under 10.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Wrist, ankle, and knocked unconscious with a nice concussion and blood drained from my ear to follow at school, all before 4th grade.

Comment

I broke my arm when I was around five/six. Like your child, it was in an after school care program.

In the after school care room, we had these massive drama blocks that were used to form stages when needed, or for us kids, cubby houses and mazes. A group of us decided to play chasey on top of the blocks one day and I fell and broke my arm by landing awkwardly on it. It was broken right near the elbow.

The day I had to get my cast taken off, I freaked out big time. The reason why was because I could hear the circular saws going on in the next room and, growing up with a carpenter dad who uses circular saws frequently....I thought my whole arm was being chopped off. I almost had to be sedated.

Eta: my sister has never broken a bone. However, she has had stitches before. Long story short, she bumped her head against the corner of a dollhouse when we were kids and had to be taken to hospital. She still has a scar there and often gets her eyebrows plucked so the scar isn't that obvious. (where it is, is basically a slice across her eyebrow. If her eyebrows aren't plucked, you can actually see the scar)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I had a toddler last year bang his head against a door jamb after tripping over a toy. He was famous for being high-energy and hyper-active, I mean if they diagnosed ADHD on kids that little he probably had it. Poor kid gets a cut on his forehead no wider than my thumbnail, but you get any sort of cut on your head, anywhere, and it looks like you've cracked it wide open.

He's freaking out, I'm calm on the outside (but freaking out on the inside!), we start doing first aid and go through the procedures in place at the center (call the DH, have them assess, call parents, call ambulance if necessary - I know, I didn't like the pecking order either). Parents blamed us for the incident and even the L-word was tossed out. Our head honcho defended us, and reiterated that he had a high level of energy and that it was an accident. She also reminded them that we also had 8 other toddlers to look after as well - it's next to impossible to have both teachers on top of one child the entire time.

They pulled him from the program a week later, and sent him to a daycare with an even worse child-to-teacher ratio.

Comment

I'm sorry, but the only thing kids are better at getting than scrapes and bruises are viruses.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                        They pulled him from the program a week later, and sent him to a daycare with an even worse child-to-teacher ratio.
                        My brain just went ow.

And I hate to say it, but I wonder if they sent him there in an effort to gain another lawsuit?
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                        X