This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, Patience. You Don't Has It.

So The Client has facilities all over the world. For the purposes of obfuscation, we'll just say the one in question here is in Europe. Sites like the ones in Europe or elsewhere in the world fall under a different domain on our networks, and as such, us here at the Mothership in the U.S. don't have access to them.

Guy calls up ITSD because a server at [Europe Site A] is down or not responding. He wants it reset. My CW "Mac" takes the call and after conferring with the managers, it is eventually relayed to Caller that, as he's located in Europe, we don't have access to those servers to do anything with them, and he needs to call tech support for his site.

Caller doesn't want to do this. It's 1am where he is in Europe, and "I don't wanna wake them up." Never mind that this is entirely the point of on-call after-hours support, he doesn't want to call them.

We route the ticket out to ESA's support queue, but he calls back at least two more times (getting me on call #3), wanting to know what the status is.

By the time I come in on this, the managers have told us that if he doesn't want to call ESA's techs, the only other option available for him is to call the tech support guys for [Europe Site B]. Mac relays this to me as I'm on the phone with the guy, and I relay it to him.

Caller doesn't want the number for ESB, because "I don't think they're 24/7" and he doesn't want to wake the guys up. I end up having to repeatedly state "We've tried pinging or paging the support team for your site, but we haven't been successful. There is nothing else we can do."

At one point, he actually comes out and asks, "Would there be anyone out at [Asia Site C] by this point?" I flat out tell him, "Even if there is, they don't have access to do anything with the servers at your location, sir."

Eventually, he hangs up, and the night continues. Then Mac gets a response from the tech support guys out at ESA. Turns out the issue with the server that the caller was reporting?

It was all due to routine weekly maintenance.

If the guy had been a little more patient, it would have come back up on its own and no one would have needed to get called in.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

I'm a member of a site that does a backup and reset every night, and it's always funny when a noob goes crazy because the site goes down. There's even an error message along the lines of "The site is down for nightly reset, please wait a few seconds to a few minutes." The veterans are the ones who freak out when something goes wrong and it doesn't occur on schedule (or when it happens twice, something that occurred after the site recently changed servers).

I'm actually writing this because it's resetting now.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Yeah, we get calls from users in the Mothership and some of the outlying members of the fleet in the area during my shift, especially on the weekly patch night.

I actually had one luser demand to know why they were doing it when he had some major work to get done? I replied with "Because this when there's less traffic on the network, because most people have gone home."

He still wasn't happy, but he stopped arguing that point.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
        The veterans are the ones who freak out when something goes wrong and it doesn't occur on schedule (or when it happens twice, something that occurred after the site recently changed servers).
        Yep. Used to work overnights and the computer system I used would go down every night around midnight for 20-40 minutes. I'd just pack up and take a break.

You worried when it didn't come back after an hour.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Not quite the same, but if I haven't done anything on my handheld at work for a while, and it still shows me as being logged in, I am suspicious. Nearly always, in reality, I have been logged out and the silly thing won't tell me that until I try to enter a new item. But I am aware of this, and try to make sure I'm really logged in before I try to help a customer. The newbies don't, and so they either mess up and don't get the item entered properly. Or they freak out when the handheld logs them out, thinking that it messed up a transaction, when there was no transaction to begin with.

I do wish the software was better, though.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
          X