This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Fails - Not My Fault Edition

I had booked a flight out of Raleigh to fly to Dallas, TX, for Monday. I booked because I needed to be in Arlington before noon CDT.

How many travel sucks can I fit in one post? Let's count.

The day before, I get a message from my friendly airline that my flight has been cancelled. I called to re-book, but the new flight would arrive an hour later. Cue message to Project Manager. Also, instead of going from Raleigh to Dallas through Dulles airport near DC, I had to go through O'Hare Airport in Chicago, IL.

I make it to the new flight on time. However, due to a thunderstorm in Raleigh, the ground crew was not allowed outside. Cue a 30 minute delay until it was safe enough to get the plane away from the gate. Add another 20 minutes to the flight time because the plane had to avoid more storms along the way to Chicago.

Thankfully, my connecting flight was delayed so we can make our connections. Unfortunately, when we were supposed to take off, we found out the crew hasn't shown up, yet. Tack on another 30. Cue another message to PM.

After we finally leave the gate, we have to wait another 30 minutes to take off.

Finally, after landing in Dallas, I try to pick up my rental after booking it 3 weeks prior. The counter people send me to a booth outside. The guy sends me back to the counter. Since I didn't belong with their loyalty program, the guy at the counter asks for two government issued forms of identification. I only had one with me. They refused to rent me a car. I had to rent from another company.

I was supposed to arrive before noon. I arrived just after 2 pm. Thankfully, the branch was small so the initial data transfer didn't take long.

I found out later that Chicago's O'Hare airport has a terrible reputation with on-time flights.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Just how many people HAVE two forms of government-issued ID, anyway?
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      I've actually run into this problem before, which is why I now carry my passport card* with me at all times. But I agree, most people wouldn't have two forms of government issued ID on them at any given time, if they even *had* two forms of government issued ID.

*For those who don't know, the US government produces a card that's the same size as a standard driver's license, that's good for land and sea travel to specific countries (but not air travel, even to those same countries). I got it when I was traveling to Winnipeg by car several times a month, as it was easier than the full passport book. It's come in handy a few times for general ID purposes.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        That made me think, "Am I renting a car or accepting a job offer?"

No, I wouldn't work for them.

Other than the job offers, I have never run into that sort of thing.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post

*For those who don't know, the US government produces a card that's the same size as a standard driver's license, that's good for land and sea travel to specific countries (but not air travel, even to those same countries). I got it when I was traveling to Winnipeg by car several times a month, as it was easier than the full passport book. It's come in handy a few times for general ID purposes.
          I think you're talking about the same thing as I have? It's an enhanced license, so it's both what you mentioned (land and sea passport) and a drivers license. So I'd still just have the one govt ID, right? I mean, unless I had my full passport and it wasn't expired.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Ouch, anything that could go wrong did pretty much.

Quoth Seanette View Post
            Most of my province, Quebec, would i think most of Canada, too, but not not sure. drivers license plus Medicare card, both are government issued photo ids
            Last edited by Slayer; 07-15-2015, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              So I'd still just have the one govt ID, right? I mean, unless I had my full passport and it wasn't expired.
              When a place asks for two forms of ID they usually will also accept certain forms of ID in the singular, passports being one of them. Also usually the second form doesn't have to be photo, so license plus social security card would work, but who carries that normally?
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                When a place asks for two forms of ID they usually will also accept certain forms of ID in the singular, passports being one of them. Also usually the second form doesn't have to be photo, so license plus social security card would work, but who carries that normally?
                Does a voter's registration card count then?

Comment

I hope so -- I carry my voter card around as a secondary form of ID/address verification (cuz, ya know, you're NOT supposed to carry your social security card around...or laminate it...etc).

As for the passport card, nar -- I think it's a separate thing from a state DL. Thus, it would qualify as a second form of picture ID.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I happened to be looking up IDs for car rental yesterday, for a question on a travel board. I won't bother to go into all the reasons why the company might ask for more than one, but it's mainly if you are not paying with a credit card. Most companies will accept a second photo ID, not just government, such as a store loyalty card or an employment ID, or a current utility bill with the same name & address. Everyone carries around their cable bill when they travel, right?

Comment

And just how many store loyalty cards include a photo?
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        And just how many store loyalty cards include a photo?
                        I know of.... one. My Costco card has my pic on it, such as it is. But yeah, not real common.

EricKei, you're right. My google powers must of been down, to not spot the helpful comparison. (note, not the "official" site, so let's not use it like it's 100% accurate) So I'd still just have the one, since I have the EDL. On a somewhat unrelated topic, just for fun I looked up the DOL in my town because it tells you the approximate wait time for new licenses, renewals, and EDLs... There's no flipping wait! They all say 0 hours 0 minutes, except for new licenses which say 0 hours 3 minutes. When I was there last, it was up near an hour. Curses! Well, next time I renew I know when to go...
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Then there are the places that say they need government-issued ID, but mean that they need a SPECIFIC TYPE of government-issued ID. A few places have asked to see ID, and I've pulled out my FAST card (jointly issued by Canada and the U.S., shows that the holder has already undergone security screening - it's for truck drivers who cross the border a lot). A number of places wouldn't accept it - they hadn't seen one before.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                            instead of going from Raleigh to Dallas through Dulles airport near DC, I had to go through O'Hare Airport in Chicago, IL.

I found out later that Chicago's O'Hare airport has a terrible reputation with on-time flights.
                            Ugh. I'm so sorry. I've flow through O'Hare before and they changed our gate 3 times within an hour. And of course none of the three were anywhere near each other. I hate flying through O'Hare and will actively avoid it if possible.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                              Also usually the second form doesn't have to be photo, so license plus social security card would work, but who carries that normally?
                              My social security card won't work for that. It has on it, "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES - NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION."

I got my SS card in 1963. Mrs. IA's SS card from the mid 1990s lacks that notation.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X