This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It happened AGAIN! :(

SO yeah. I wrote about this dumb neighbor before, I think, and to recap: my apt building has a laundry room and each apt has their own storage space in there, after fridge high. Most everyone's is filled to the brim, except mine. I don't have 5 or 6 kids, and I'm not a hoarder like they. Just saying. So anyway, this stupid upstairs neighbor who likes to stomp ants in his room real loud asks me if I would let him use my storage space. I say no, because one: I don't know him from Adam, and two: if he puts items of illegal doings in there, it's ME that police will come after! So I say no and guess what, he uses it anyway!!! wth!!
    So apparently deaf dude is using my storage space, and puts a lock on it! Then a few months later he's kicked out and leaves the lock on there! I can't even get it off! What a...words cannot describe him. I guess I'm just glad he didn't leave pot or a bomb in there. :\
    So a new guy moves in, and he's just as stompy as the old one. And it's like they're separated at birth: he asks if he could use my storage space, I say no, and he does it anyway! I don't know how he got the lock off, maybe used a blowtorch? :\ Plus he's a pothead so maybe he'll be putting plants in there! I'm worried. I guess I should tell my building manager about it, but I'm a bit scared of he'll retaliate. He's a big guy, on drugs...yeah, not a good combo. :\ I'm a young female, living alone and he's has a gang of buddies going in and out all the time.
    Why do people just take other's stuff even when told no?? Could someone please PLEASE tell me.
    Last edited by HotelMinion; 09-08-2015, 07:51 AM.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I had that happen to me in a previous apartment. I hired a locksmith to remove the lock and threw out the stuff that was in the storage space, then went out and bought my own lock and locked up the empty unit. The locksmith was happy to cut the lock off after seeing the lease proving it was my space. The neighbor tried to complain, but I just shrugged and said I assumed anything that was in a space I was paying for was mine to do with as I pleased, and it pleased me to get rid of it, so I did. The landlord backed me up.

ETA: since you are afraid of illegal things being stored in your space and retaliation, you should absolutely inform management. At the very least it starts a paper trail showing the stuff in there isn't yours.
    Last edited by mathnerd; 09-08-2015, 07:57 AM.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      ETA: since you are afraid of illegal things being stored in your space and retaliation, you should absolutely inform management. At the very least it starts a paper trail showing the stuff in there isn't yours.
      Seconded. A paper trail is often one of the best weapons in your arsenal.

Make sure you get things in writing.

Comment

Not to mention, it might be considered granting permission if you do not put a stop to it. Possibly making you an accomplice.

It is YOUR space, that you are being denied access to. YOUR rights are being violate. You have the right to use your space. Get the landlord involved.
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

yeah. definitely let the landlord know... and definitely "evict" the stuff in YOUR space and put your own lock on it so no one else can move their crap in.

Comment

Go to the cops. File a report so it's known that you didn't consent to the use of your space. Plus their buddies the fire fighters have tools that can cut through cars. They can get a lock off.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

This $15 tool will take it right off. Make sure to wear safety goggles and handle it carefully, and always set it down on its back if it's plugged in.

Comment

What I don't understand, is how the second guy would have known you weren't already using the space? It had an existing lock on it, for pity's sake.

If you're worried about causing a fuss, you might at least sent a note to your landlord for documentation, stating that you have declined to take possession of the storage space and that you have no intention of using it in the future. Oh and by the way, other tenant appears to have taken possession of the space on their own, so any concerns regarding this space is between landlord and other tenant.

Now it's documented and (hopefully) the landlord's decision whether or not to make it an issue.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'll add my oar in for talking to the landlord about it. If the landlord decides to kick the ijit from the space (because it is part of your rental!), I recommend getting your own lock. Don't go for the cheap ones either. Cheap ones can easily be removed with a pair of bolt cutters and patience. The not cheap ones would take a really good lock pick set and a bit more patience/steady hands (which a pothead may not have).

Yes, I know this. It's amazing how many times my family can lose the keys to their own locks... >.<
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                    What I don't understand, is how the second guy would have known you weren't already using the space? It had an existing lock on it, for pity's sake.

If you're worried about causing a fuss, you might at least sent a note to your landlord for documentation, stating that you have declined to take possession of the storage space and that you have no intention of using it in the future. Oh and by the way, other tenant appears to have taken possession of the space on their own, so any concerns regarding this space is between landlord and other tenant.

Now it's documented and (hopefully) the landlord's decision whether or not to make it an issue.

I forgot to mention that the storage spaces are see thru so you can easily see what's inside, unless they are in a bin or something. That's how I know the others are full up. Every one of them. Full. Jeez.
                    I guess I'll write an email to the building manager. She stinks, so she probably won't even open it, but at least I'll have proof on my end. Why oh why can't I be born with a scary face so when I say NO! to a customer, er, a neighbor, they flee in terror?
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I'm all for getting his lock removed, toss his junk in the trash or just on the floor and put your own lock on there. Clearly the empty, unlocked space is too inviting. I'd be tempted to put something large and cheap in there to (even just empty boxes) to prevent the argument that you aren't using the space. Don't put anything of value because you don't want him cutting off your lock and messing with your stuff. Although then you might be able to sic the cops on him...

Comment

Quoth GOInsanity View Post
                        I'm all for getting his lock removed, toss his junk in the trash or just on the floor and put your own lock on there. Clearly the empty, unlocked space is too inviting. I'd be tempted to put something large and cheap in there to (even just empty boxes) to prevent the argument that you aren't using the space. Don't put anything of value because you don't want him cutting off your lock and messing with your stuff. Although then you might be able to sic the cops on him...
                        I was just going to suggest this! either put empty boxes, or get some cheap storage totes, and put them in there. This way it looks like its being used, even if you're not. and when and if you move, voila, you have something to put stuff in!

But first I'd deal with getting his stuff out of your space, and getting your own lock.

Comment

Talk to the police. Find out what your options are. They have stolen your lock and your space (theft of service).

Talk to the landlord. Let them know that you are planning to file criminal charges. Ask if they plan to evict them. They are required to provide you with a safe living space.

I would also suggest that you contact a "renter's advocate".

Good luck.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I had several thoughts on this matter. Somebody putting stuff into your space might be considered trespassing or maybe vandalism. It may even be considered as dumping. As others had said, get rid of the stuff and put your own lock on it. You said it was a viewable area. Is there any way to put up a visual barrier on the walls? Something like curtains or contact paper?
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                              Why oh why can't I be born with a scary face so when I say NO! to a customer, er, a neighbor, they flee in terror?
                              This can be acquired, with some practice. I am five feet two inches tall, 64 years old, considerably overweight, and have a bad back. And apparently, when I choose to, I can be terrifying.

Find a mirror. Stand up straight, shoulders back, relaxed. Now tell the mirror, without speaking aloud, "I will skin you and eat you. I will make stew from your entrails. Nothing you can do to me will keep me from destroying you." Believe it. Make your eyes show it. When you scare yourself, try it on someone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X