X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sucked (self-sighting)

Background

Hubby and I just moved. He's been in a lot of pain and hasn't gotten much unpacked in the last week, so I've been living in a place that essentially looks like something out of "Hoarders." I also haven't been getting much to eat, since I can't afford food but I make too much to qualify for food stamps (and the food bank we went to this morning only serves senior citizens...their website didn't say that). So I was hungry, grouchy, and I had a headache.

End Background

Mom and I were at the cell phone store. She was trying to get my phone transferred over to her account to save us a bit of money (I have to be reachable from work, and I don't like not having a phone on me when I'm walking to the bus stop at 5am).

The in-store music was blaring, it was hurting my head, and I told mom I needed to go outside and wait for her. The person manning the desk said (in a somewhat snotty tone of voice) "could you NOT go outside? Customers get counted by how often the door opens." That's fairly standard in retail, and to be fair, I'm not sure she (the clerk) knew I was hurting.

However, what I heard was "you matter to me only as a number in my computer" and in my mess-stressed, chronically-hungry, headachy state, I LOST IT. In a particularly vicious tone, asked her what part of "I'm in pain, your music is making it worse" was too difficult for her to comprehend, and I stormed out the door. I spent the next 30 minutes getting a lecture from my mom about how that kind of behavior is mean and cruel (I agree) which ended with my sobbing my eyes out about EVERYTHING that's been going on.

So yeah. That was my day. Next time someone is sucky to you, maybe it'll help to remember they may not have eaten that day (as I hadn't).
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I hope you're feeling better. That employee could've been a bit more sensitive and said that more politely (it's possible that he has no control over the music volume and is able to tune it out himself).

You are going through a nasty rough patch, and I hope things get better for you soon. Perhaps your mom could give you a loan for groceries?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It seems inappropriate for an employee to tell you that you aren't allowed to go outside, regardless of the door-counter.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

You know, if it were me, and the clerk were that snotty, I would deliberately go and open and close the door as many times as I could. Yes, I am that mean, and admittedly childish sometimes. You don't want your customer count messed up? Be nice. As for your situation, I really hope you manage to at least get some decent food on the table soon! *hugs*
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          It seems inappropriate for an employee to tell you that you aren't allowed to go outside, regardless of the door-counter.
          I'd get in trouble for saying something like that to a customer because it's rude.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You're more restrained than me. The clerk was completely out of line for telling you off for going outside. If it had been me, I'd have stood there opening and closing the door a couple of dozen times.

Then again, if I don't baby any headaches I get they've been known to turn into migraines, so I don't have a lot of patience with people trying to keep me from dealing with them.

Edit: Just noticed that BrenDAnn beat me to it on the door opening!
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I don't find you sucky at all, to be honest. The clerk was out of line in asking (telling?) you not to go outside.

Comment

Given the number of shops I've had to leave due to awfully loud music, I sympathise with you.

Comment

First, I'm sorry for your situation and I wish you the best.

Second, I just can't think of your reaction as sucky. I'm THAT annoyed by the comment of the employee. It isn't like you were running back and forth through the doors, as if it were a game. You were leaving. Or don't they allow people to do that without buying something.

Guess employees aren't allowed to leave either. Maybe that's why she said what she did.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Wow, that employee was WAY out of line! It's NOTHING to you whether their customer count is up or down! NOT your problem.

I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time. Is there any other food pantry, church soup kitchen, or something you can use? I can't believe there isn't something for people who aren't seniors, I know in my town there are lots of younger people who use the local food services.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Got paid and that's freed up a bit of money for some groceries. I also found a cookbook written for a $4 a day food budget (Good and Cheap, the PDF is free online). There are food pantries around that cater to all ages, it's just that not a lot of them are open when I'm off work. I do have a full tummy again now.

As far as the other thing, I agree the clerk was out of line, but so was I in snarling at her.
                      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I can't say you were sucky. As a migraine sufferer, I note my temper gets a lot shorter than normal when I have one. Loud music, perfume, bright lights.. all of them will trigger or make worse a migraine and hunger migraines? WORST. You get the hangry mixed with migraine lack of patience and well... unpleasant things happen.

The SC of the story was actually the clerk. You should NEVER mention a stat to a customer. First off, it gives real SCs a way to screw you and good. Second? It's not professional. To mention in the manner the clerk did? Rude, as well.

So, cut yourself some slack. You were sick and the clerk was rude. The clerk deserves some form of reprimand, so I do suggest that you file a complaint and let the corporate grist mill work it's magic.

The reason I'm not mentioning my own petty desire to stand at the door to open and close it repeatedly is because migraine means pain and pain means don't wanna waste energy on being petty.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                          . I also found a cookbook written for a $4 a day food budget (Good and Cheap, the PDF is free online).
                          oh i love that cook book its so good. the authors other free one is all vegetarian recipes which are also able to be cooked for cheap. her veggie pie one cost me like 6 dollars to make and thats only cause i bought pie crust and didn't have dijon mustard. if i made the crust and already had the dijon its like 4 dollars in ingrediants.

Comment

Working...
                          X