This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer fail!

Im posting this here because well i think its more of a sighting.

So my grandmother sent my mom paper work for us to sign (me and my siblings) to give up or right to be the executors of my dad's estate. None of us wanted to do it because we a) didn't know any of the history of hi legal stuff and his civil case and b) we didn't need anything from the estate. My mom did offer her our addresses because we dont all live with her to which my grandmother said 'nah this is easier.'

so we get the paperwork and start laughing.

Now my mom's mom has a file with all the grand kids full names and dates of birth and the like. This is because she has 30 plus grandkids.

this grandma has 13. She apparently forgot all of our names. She asked my mom for the full legal names of all of us.

Mine and my brothers papers had our right names. Meimei's? Just her middle name and last name.

My dads name was spelled Rondald not Ronald.

we signed but are pretty sure this is not going to be legal.

I love my dad, but apparently, they gave me a name he can't spell without Mom or.. anyone, really, prompting him. It's a common name with the "traditional" spelling, no fancy Ks any where to be found. And it was HIS BLOODY CHOICE TO NAME ME IT.

I think that after about 40 years, he might have finally figured it out. Might.

Bad enough to have to spell it for strangers, but your own parent, who gave you the name?
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Mine is a pretty traditional name, but with stupid extra letters thrown in. I got tired of always having to spell it two or three times and STILL having it come out spelled wrong on paperwork and such so I just started dropping the extra letters myself.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Apparently, my wife has a new coworker with a name pronounced 'Megan' but spelled 'Meagheanne'.

The best part? The girl legally changed her name from the common spelling to the current spelling.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
          Apparently, my wife has a new coworker with a name pronounced 'Megan' but spelled 'Meagheanne'.
          Sounds like SaNdeE* from L.A. Story.

Comment

Li'l Sis's middle name has two spellings--the French spelling and the American spelling. The only difference between the two is an extra letter. On her initial birth certificate, it's spelled the French way with the extra letter. Well, Papa Jedi didn't like it and threw enough of a fit that Mama Jedi had the birth certificate amended with the American spelling minus the extra letter. Li'l Sis is now 25 and still has issues when it comes to legal paperwork and making sure her name is spelled correctly. In fact, just recently when she had to renew her driver's license it came back with her middle name spelled the French way. So she had to get that fixed.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              Mine is a pretty traditional name, but with stupid extra letters thrown in. I got tired of always having to spell it two or three times and STILL having it come out spelled wrong on paperwork and such so I just started dropping the extra letters myself.
              My wife has one of those names that can be pronounced three different ways.

My name is fairly uncommon, and is usually spelled one of two ways, and is sometimes a shortened version of another name. I was apparently named after a landlord and friend (two separate people) of my parents. For some reason, I dislike my middle name, probably because my dad would just casually call me by my first and middle names, and I guess it just eventually grated on me.

In fact, according to this site: http://howmanyofme.com/

There are approximately 24,089 people in the U.S. with my spelling of my first name. And approximately 297,102 people with my last name. And just 22 with my first AND last name, spelled like it is.

When we had our son, we gave him a fairly uncommon name, and a slightly derivative spelling. We wrote out the "traditional" spelling, and something didn't look right. We changed a letter, and said, "that's it".

Though I've heard that some people are actually named Abcde, and it's pronounced "Ab-see-dee".
              Last edited by mjr; 09-24-2015, 06:31 PM.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                In fact, according to this site: http://http://howmanyofme.com/

There are approximately 24,089 people in the U.S. with my spelling of my first name. And approximately 297,102 people with my last name. And just 22 with my first AND last name, spelled like it is.
                That site says there are 61k people with my first name and 5k people with my last name, and one person with that first and last name. Me! If I add one letter to my last name 15k people have it. It's one of those names which got translated several different ways when people immigrated to the US, and mine is the less common way.

I'm happy my parents managed to pick a first name which is not particularly common yet almost no one misspells it. Though once I got someone who wanted to spell it one of those "new and different" ways. Which meant replacing an "e" with an "i." Uh, not the same... My only complaint is that there isn't a good way to shorten my name, thus I don't have a nickname.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

What gets me is my grandma has 13 grandkids 5 boys 8 girls. 5 girls with C names and are sisters, my late cousin Nicky and me and meimei. my name is Heather hers is Holly. How do much miss your grand daughters first name when it falls in line with the others?

Comment

My middle son's name has two common spellings (think Scottish dynasty that changed the spelling when they came to power in England after a previous English dynasty died out). He's forever correcting people who misspell his name.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

My first and middle names put together are a rather common name, my middle name by itself is uncommon but not unusual, and my first name by itself is so rare nobody can ever seem to get it right the first time. I've gotten so used to being called the wrong name that I answer to just about anything that sounds close.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        My middle son's name has two common spellings (think Scottish dynasty that changed the spelling when they came to power in England after a previous English dynasty died out).
                        Is this the same one that got turfed out by another English dynasty, and is known for its unsuccessful attempt to get back into power during the rebellion that gave us the battle of Culloden and the famous "Bonnie Prince Charlie" of "Skye Boat Song" fame? The one who the Queen's tartan is named after?
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My name starts with a 'C' but when I spell it for people they almost always write an 'S', except for a Starbucks in LA they wrote 'Jill' instead of 'Cil'.
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                            I've gotten so used to being called the wrong name that I answer to just about anything that sounds close.
                            I do that too. (I use my real first name as my ID here.) I frequently reassure new acquaintances, "if you can get close enough that I can figure out you mean me, I'll answer".

With that said, I can understand someone misremembering me as Shannon, Shawna, or Jeanette. I can also forgive co-workers who call me Suzette by mistake, since there is a Suzette working there, and we're both shortish, somewhat overweight white women a decade or two above median age for employees there (OTOH, I wear glasses, she doesn't, and we have different hair). I am still baffled by times someone's tried to call me Sharon, Cheryl, or Cindy.

For takeout food purposes, if my husband's with me, I just have them put his name on our order (he has a very common name). If he isn't, I've been known to use our cat's name, since Allie is easier to spell. (The cat doesn't care.)
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Is this the same one that got turfed out by another English dynasty, and is known for its unsuccessful attempt to get back into power during the rebellion that gave us the battle of Culloden and the famous "Bonnie Prince Charlie" of "Skye Boat Song" fame? The one who the Queen's tartan is named after?
                              That would be the one.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X