Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep having to correct my last name, No I am not a Malt Liquor Bull, move the vowel forward one place.
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
      I keep having to correct my last name, No I am not a Malt Liquor Bull, move the vowel forward one place.
      I don't bother to wait to correct them anymore, I just spell my last name out. It starts with a K, but if I don't spell it out I can pretty much guarantee that whomever's trying to look up/spell my name will start with C. The sole exception I can remember is my German father-in-law, who got it right on the first try. Of course, my last name is of German origin...
      "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Back when I worked for the Navy, callers would sometimes mishear my first name as "captain." I never bothered to correct them.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

That site is a black hole! #1 Son is the only person in the US with his full name. #2 Son is one of 140 or so (one of those being his father, with whom he shares a name) but if I plug in his middle name (which is what we call him) he's also unique- there's one other person with that name. And their names are not weird or strings of Scrabble letters either, they're regular if slightly archaic male names. Good for us, I guess!
          Last edited by AnaKhouri; 09-26-2015, 12:18 AM.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

one of the funny things is i was signing mine and handed it back to my mom and meimei looked over at it and said 'I thought your middle name had two Ns' and i responded 'oh you don;t know that funny story? See when mom wrote my name on things she did 1 N and when dad did he did 2 Ns. So my birth certificate has 1 N, cause mom filled that out but stuff like some of my school paper work and my church records have two Ns.'

Cause 2 Ns would make sense if my parents are OCD. Meimei and the Boy both have 5 letter first names and 4 letter middle names. coupled with our last name or names are all even numbered. My first name has 7 letters middle name is 3 and last name is 7 so my name is odd numbered. weird parents are weird.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              <snip>

In fact, according to this site: http://howmanyofme.com/

There are approximately 24,089 people in the U.S. with my spelling of my first name. And approximately 297,102 people with my last name. And just 22 with my first AND last name, spelled like it is.

<snip>
              Despite the fact that my mom named me after her grandmother, her mother has never pronounced my name correctly. I'm 36 years old. I'm pretty sure she's mispronouncing it on purpose because she's crazy and evil and whatnot.

My name is unusual, but it is not difficult to pronounce. Apparently there are 3,212 people with my first name in the U.S. and 3 people with the same first and last name.
              Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

One of my sisters has a very uncommon name that while seemingly easy, nobody can pronounce. When I worked for MajorBank, our computers would show us the name of the person calling us (employee contact only position, do the came through verified). One day I got a call from a person with the same name and used it in my greeting, as we were supposed to do. She got so excited that somebody said her name correctly. I chuckled and told her I had a sister and a grandmother with the same name, so I hoped I could say it right!
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                  I don't bother to wait to correct them anymore, I just spell my last name out. It starts with a K, but if I don't spell it out I can pretty much guarantee that whomever's trying to look up/spell my name will start with C.
                  My mom used to get that a lot with her first name.....let's say her name is "Kathleen", but people would spell it as "Cathleen".

And I, too, spell out my last name.....it's a fairly common word, but for whatever reason, people cannot hear it correctly.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                    Apparently, my wife has a new coworker with a name pronounced 'Megan' but spelled 'Meagheanne'.

The best part? The girl legally changed her name from the common spelling to the current spelling.
                    She must be tons of fun at Starbucks.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                      My mom used to get that a lot with her first name.....let's say her name is "Kathleen", but people would spell it as "Cathleen".

And I, too, spell out my last name.....it's a fairly common word, but for whatever reason, people cannot hear it correctly.
                      My boyfriend has this problem with his last name. It's irritating for me, so I can't imagine how annoying it is for him.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I have one of the most common names with the most common spelling (4.4 million of us,) but people still can't get it right. It's like they are not able to understand how someone could have a common name and have it spelled the common way.

Comment

I don't tend to get misspellings of my real name. I get mispronunciations more frequently, usually from people for whom English is their second language.

I'm used to it. I just correct them, usually by comparing it to a different name that rhymes with it.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My Mom did not realize until she had to get my legal birth certificate when I started school that the US Air Force misspelled my first name.

Comment

Irish names are wonderful-yes it sounds like Kathleen but it's spelt Caoithlainne or some such lot that looks like the cat sat on the keyboard.
                              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post

Cause 2 Ns would make sense if my parents are OCD. Meimei and the Boy both have 5 letter first names and 4 letter middle names. .
                                Am I the only one who wishes that like Homer Simpson,this child actually has just been named 'The Boy'
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X