This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    Tell Miss Princess to go get a pager. I think they're still around now.
    I was born in the 50's so no pagers. I do remember my kids (born in 74 & 77) begging us for those in Jr hi and Sr hi school. We told them no (we were such MEAN parents ).
    Last edited by MadMike; 05-17-2017, 03:48 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
    "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
      I was born in the 50's so no pagers. I do remember my kids (born in 74 & 77) begging us for those in Jr hi and Sr hi school. We told them no (we were such MEAN parents ).
      I got my first cell phone in about... 2003 I think. It was when I got my drivers license. I didn't ask for one, my parent's got it for safety, in case I broke down or something. Also, yeah it's funny how people act like they're DYING if they need to go even the length of a meal without their phone.

My grandparents from both sides of my family had crazy busy lives with no cell phone. I think they were all born between 1910-1920 or so. One of my grandma's wrote in her journal how she'd work her regular 9-5 then go out until 12-1 AM regularly, not just on a Friday night. My other grandparents would have their friends over and play instruments until after midnight. There's a weird myth that grandparents sat at home and knitted or something. But haha, that's actually ME.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
        I was so, so, happy that taking the back off and battery out and sticking it in a bowl of rice revived my phone. Phones should be stored on the interior pocket of your coat when you're cleaning snow off your car, I guess.
        I still not only have my first Iphone (3GS) but also my Nokia flip phone packed away in the closet. My second Iphone (the 4S) my brother has currently.

So far I've not had any issues with my current phone (the Galaxy s7 Edge.) But then I have a new protector on it (tempered glass this time) and a case over the back.

Speaking of wet phones, I had an incident years ago with my red Nokia flip phone when I was getting out of the car in the rain and the phone fell out of my coat pocket and into a puddle of water.

I quickly scooped it up (the back cover popped out upon landing and the battery fell out of the back at that) wiped the pieces off, put everything back together and it still turned on!

That is one undescructible phone
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I got my first cellphone some 15 to 20 years ago, when I was still driving lengthy distances to visit my maternal grandfather. I bought it second-hand from a coworker, thinking that if I saw an accident, or was in an accident, at least I could call for help.

I had to upgrade about two years ago when Telus advised me that the phone I had was about to become a large paperweight due to technology changes. I bought the cheapest replacement I could find and it works fine for what I need it for ... which at this point is almost nothing. My sister was down recently, after Mom had an "incident" at the nursing home that saw her rushed to the hospital, and sis and I texted each other a few times during her visit. That's probably the most I've used the phone in the past several months.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

in the rain and the phone fell out of my coat pocket and into a puddle of water.

I quickly scooped it up (the back cover popped out upon landing and the battery fell out of the back at that) wiped the pieces off, put everything back together and it still turned on!

I had something similar happen 3 phones ago with an ordinary non weather-resistant phone.

About 10 years ago I was delivering in a blizzard at night. I had to step over a high snow drift and for some reason my phone in a secure belt clip popped off my belt and fell into said snow drift. I could not find it for anything.

Le Sigh Off to the my carrier's store and new phone. several days later after the snow had stopped and some of it had melted away I went back to the location and

Miracle of miracles I found my phone buried in the snow bank. I took it home, took it apart (not sure if I used the rice thing or not) and let it dry out. several days later put it all back together, put it on the charger, then turned it on. It booted up right away so I was able to get all the phone numbers and stuff over to my NEW weather resistant phone.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Speaking of wet phones, I had an incident years ago with my red Nokia flip phone when I was getting out of the car in the rain and the phone fell out of my coat pocket and into a puddle of water.

I still have my old Nokia 3510:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3510

That phone has, in the course of its life:

1) Fell out of my bag into an overflowing gutter and floated about 2 metres downstream before being rescued just before it slipped down the drain. Took it apart and left it over the radiator overnight, still worked perfectly.
              2) Fell out of a first floor window (that's second floor for the colonies!) and landed on a concrete driveway. Put it back together and it worked perfectly. Didn't even chip the screen.
              3) Got used as a chew top by our giant-sized German Shepherd (he used to have to slouch to rest his chin on the dinner table when he begged). Did have to replace the keypad and the interchangeable case that time, (and dry it out!) but again it worked fine.

I currently use it as a backup phone and, occasionally, an alarm clock.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                I had to upgrade about two years ago when Telus advised me that the phone I had was about to become a large paperweight due to technology changes.
                That was the only reason I ever got rid of my old Nokia bar phone! That thing was indestructible!!!
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  I still have my old Nokia 3510:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3510
                  I recall my stepmother having that model phone at least a decade ago . . . she had that one for several years. My sister finally got her to upgrade to an iPhone about 3 or 4 years ago now.

Back when that phone was popular, I had the other popular Nokia model w/the interchangeable face plates - the 5110, which came out around 2000 or so.

My mom and I both had one of these phones and when I switched carriers, I got another one, so I ended up with 3 of them. Never had to buy a battery for that model, as I had 2 spares.

Sometimes I miss having that phone . . . I could play Snake all day.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                    I'm currently L14 with more than enough badges; I just need 3M AP to hit 15, and then the push onward to 16 for the 'win'.
                    You guys should try Qonqr. (If you do, my game name is the same as it is here.)

As for phones, Nokias did live through almost everything. I miss my 1520, but they ran an update that changed how it drew power on the battery and killed the battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X