Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, if I deliberately threw a punch at a cop, but it didn't connect, would that count as assault?

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
      So, if I deliberately threw a punch at a cop, but it didn't connect, would that count as assault?
      Or suicide...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
        Inquiring minds want to know:

If he had a working phone in his car with which to call the manager, why purchase a Trac Phone and card at all?
        Maybe there was someone with him in the vehicle who had a phone?
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I keep thinking there's a scam he was trying to pull here. If he wanted a phone and card that worked together, wouldn't he have just tried to return the card or the phone, not both? I know it could be the plain stupidity it sounds like. I just think scam.

Comment

Wow.

I didn't expect this post to garner even one response - I was just venting! You all have made very good points. As I *was* a lawyer way way back, I will state that, yes:

This was assault, even though contact wasn't made. Or attempted assault if your jurisdiction has that classification. There definately was attempted battery, as he *tried* to hit the cashier with the phone and box. And I could make a clear case for disorderly conduct, at the very least!

However, the cashier was fine. She wasn't even upset - she used to run a gas station at night, so she's been through much worse things .... like robberies. SM was the most upset of anyone. Oh, and get this! There WAS a complaint filed by the SC, he said the cashier was rude. Of course, when corporate viewed the video, they laughed him out of the park and told him he was banned from ALL of (my store)'s location!! Woo Hoot! Corporate gets a spine :-D

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
              Yeah, it's still "attempted". Just because the guy throws like a girl doesn't mean his ass shouldn't be going to jail.
              sorry I don't understand what you mean by throw like a girl can you explain it to me?
              Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
              Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Probably referring to something like this:

https://youtu.be/zXeaakhWOCg
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Probably referring to the exact opposite of that. Think of the stereotypical "girlie girl" who doesn't even know which end of a baseball you pick up.

And corporate with a spine? Can they please do a takeover of all retail workplaces???
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    Probably referring to the exact opposite of that. Think of the stereotypical "girlie girl" who doesn't even know which end of a baseball you pick up.
                    I agree. I think "throwing like a girl" means not putting your shoulder into the throw, and instead just bending the arm at the elbow to throw. It's meant as an insult, whereas comparing someone to the pitcher in the video csquared linked would definitely be a compliment.

Comment

I used to work with a friend of that girls father. Girl got a full ride scholarship to college with EVERYTHING covered.

Comment

In the states that use the system I described, I imagine that would be considered Attempted Battery of a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer). That last bit tends to increase the severity of a charge, no matter what comes before it.

sauce : Used to handle the mugshots page at a couple of small newspapers.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                          I agree. I think "throwing like a girl" means not putting your shoulder into the throw, and instead just bending the arm at the elbow to throw. It's meant as an insult, whereas comparing someone to the pitcher in the video csquared linked would definitely be a compliment.
                          I fail to see how one's gender identity would influence their throwing.
                          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I dislike those stereotypes. That is why I posted the video I did.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Depending on the jurisdiction, yes, if a reasonable person would believe that you were doing so to cause harm.

It might also count as "wow, that's a whole lot of charges you racked up there before you smacked your face into the door sixteen times", especially if you're doing so in Chicago...
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X