This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    This does raise the question...When you have pumps that are out of order, how many folks come by and -- like this lovely lady -- try to pump gas after removing the big bright "Out of Order" bags (etc) that are covering the pump handles? (I'm just going to assume that the number is greater than zero )...
    Lots of them, according to other posts on this forum. There is nothing you can put an "Out of Order" or similar sign on that an SC will respect. In addition to gas pumps examples include self check outs, drink dispensers, doors, vending machines, copiers, roads, bridges, etc.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      This does raise the question...When you have pumps that are out of order, how many folks come by and -- like this lovely lady -- try to pump gas after removing the big bright "Out of Order" bags (etc) that are covering the pump handles? (I'm just going to assume that the number is greater than zero )...
      It's far too many to count. Most of them come inside to complain that "that pump doesn't work!"
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Also, for any deli people out there, PLEASE put the label on the bag in such a manner that it can't be opened without tearing the label. This is one thing that bugs me about the deli at one local supermarket - they just slap it on the side of the bag, where it doesn't foul the zipper.

Never worked retail, but I can imagine a less-than-honest customer asking for a pound of cooked ham (the cheap stuff in a rectangular "loaf") and a pound of organically-raised artisan stone-roasted ham (this would be sliced from an actual hog's leg, not a "meat glued" "loaf" or "football" - an expensive product). Days later, the guy stocking cat litter finds the cooked ham and the bag from the "good stuff". CustomerThief has put the "good stuff" in the bag from the cheap stuff, busy cashier doesn't notice (weight feels about right, they don't have time for more than a quick glance) when ringing it up.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

People just don't read signs. I'd like to blame it on people expecting everything important to show up on their phones, but that not so.

Over 30 years ago, back when people came to the library to borrow books (words printed on paper) I was constantly hanging signs all over my little department explaining where the different books were and how to check them out.

I even taped signs to the counter. Brightly colored signs. One in the same place that people would lean on the counter to ask me the same question over and over.

I gave up.

May I give all of my fellow members a big thumbs up because we are the few, the smart, the ones who read things!!! GO US!!!

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            My complaint with "prepay only" was if I wanted to fill up my tank, how was I supposed to know how much it was going to cost until after I filled it?

Of course, once they put card readers on the pumps, it became a non-issue.
            My preferred gas station in my town is prepay cash-only. I give them '$xx on pump 7', fill up my car, then go back for change. It's not a far walk, and granted, pretty easy for me, but I go there mostly because it's consistently the cheapest station around.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
              ...but I go there mostly because it's consistently the cheapest station around.
              Probably because they're cash only. The charges levelled against each card transaction by the companies who provide the card readers are prohibitive.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                That's why prepay only exists.
                That's what all our service stations have here since they did away with having employees pump your gas for you, which eliminates the issue of drive offs.

Of course there are those rare exceptions where you run into a place that does not take cards . . . there is one convenience store just a short run from the Litter Box (we'll call it Red's since that's the old name before it changed owners) that only takes cash and usually his gas will be a couple of pennies cheaper than the chain stores up on the corner near the Litter Box.

Which means that if his gas is cheaper and we have to get some on the way home, I'll get cash back off my card before I leave work and stop by since it's on the way.

Unless I stop at the Quick Stop near my house and they still don't have the card readers on their pumps - you go inside to use your card. And sometimes their gas will be cheaper than Red's.

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                This is it exactly...hell, we can't even put back bagels and muffins once they've been bagged up by a customer. What a shameful waste of good food. THINK before you grab!
                And that is precisely the same logic used by my company when it comes to perishable items being returned for refund or exchange - we have to scan and toss those out, period.

Sucks but such is the world we live in today.
                Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 06-06-2017, 11:35 PM. Reason: do not need two separate posts
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The SC tried to complain about Dave calling the old Bill, her complaint was laughed at and put in the idiot file cuz, you know, she stole fuel. XD
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    A criminal record for theft ... yeah, that'll do her a lot of good.
                    Depending on the state, she could even lose her license. Just about every pump I've seen in SW PA has those warnings on it.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      Depending on the state, she could even lose her license. Just about every pump I've seen in SW PA has those warnings on it.
                      Country, not State; LNS is a fellow Brit! Licences are only up for grabs if you commit dangerous driving offences.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Tho a criminal record for theft does not look good on your CV when you're trying to get a job. O_o
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          I can't imagine why ANY gas station would allow someone to fill their tank BEFORE paying...it's not like the gas can be put back if the customer doesn't have the money to pay.

I feel the same way about customers at work who change their minds about sliced deli meats when paying and ask for them to be taken off...hey, asshole, once the meat has been sliced or the pasta or chicken salad has been put into the container, we can't put it back, so we're forced to throw out perfectly good food. Why not put back the five boxes of sugary kids' cereal that we can at least put back on the shelf and sell?
                          At the store I currently work at, SCs get cuts of fabric and then abandon them at the registers. Unless that fabric was more than 2 yards, it is a remnant, and we lose money. If it was a big piece, we can wrap it back on the bolt, but no one wants the same size piece, so part of it will become a remnant eventually.

I suspect many people think that when they do this kind of thing, they are hurting the big, bad corporation. But in this corp, the stores are independent, so stealing from the store increases prices and decreases payroll. You're not hurting the big, bad corp, you're hurting yourself and your neighbors.

Comment

The other day I spied a lady leaving a electric cart outside because it was about to thunderstorm and she couldn't be arsed.

She yelled after me, "why are you doing that, it's none of your business! They pay the cart guys to do that!"

My response "These break in the rain. The money to pay for it comes out of my pocket in the form of my grocery prices going up. It is too my business! And the cart guys don't get paid near enough to put up with people like you!"

As you can see, I had that one all ready to spit out at her.

Comment

Quoth XRogue View Post
                              My response "These break in the rain. The money to pay for it comes out of my pocket in the form of my grocery prices going up. It is too my business! And the cart guys don't get paid near enough to put up with people like you!"
                              Well, I'm proud of you. I have actually said things like that to other customers, although I can't think of a single instance right now.
                              The entitlement, it burns!
                              Last edited by EricKei; 07-05-2017, 01:39 PM. Reason: we just read it, thanks.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                                Well, I'm proud of you. I have actually said things like that to other customers, although I can't think of a single instance right now.
                                The entitlement, it burns!
                                Doesn't it just! Especially LOL's (little old ladies). Of course it was a SprawlMart parking lot so usual modifier applies there too.

Proud of you too. We must unite against the heathern!

Comment

Working...
                                X