Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man trying to pull woman out of car....

My wife and I decided to go to the local Golden Corral for dinner last night. On our way there, we witnessed some craziness that I think could have potentially went very bad. We pulled up to the access road that leads into the Golden Corral parking lot from the main road. As we turn the corner, we see a man standing at the driver's side door of a red jeep. At first, I thought it was just this man and the driver talking because people around here do pick odd places to just stop and talk like that.

As we approached to turn onto the access road, we hear the woman driving the jeep yelling at this man to get out. Now that we're close enough to see clearly what is happening, we can see the man is reaching through the open driver side window. I start fishing for my cell phone because I couldn't remember into which pocket I stuffed it as we were leaving. My wife asks me at the same instant if I'm going to call 911 since she is driving, and doesn't have her phone handy. I tell her I'm fishing for it.

I finally find the phone a few seconds later. I knew I had it, but just didn't remember which pocket had it. I dial 911, and start talking to the dispatcher, relating what we witnessed and our location. Meanwhile, my wife turns into the nearby Logan's Roadhouse parking lot. She backs out, and turns around so that we're behind the jeep. As we close in on the jeep, we see several people coming down to the jeep from the Logan's parking lot. We also notice the man now has the driver door opened, and is trying to pull the woman out of the vehicle. I can only guess that she must be fastened in by her seat belt or is hanging on with all her strength. We pull up right behind the jeep so that I have a clear view of the jeep's tag number. So, I relate the make, model, color, tag state and number, and other such pertinent information as quickly as it comes to mind. I remain on the line with the dispatcher as he asks more questions, so I'm trying to relate the necessary information while trying to keep an eye on what is happening.

The dispatcher was asking me about the man's description. My wife was trying to tell me something. I told him dark blue pullover with white shirt underneath and a pair of blue jeans. Dispatcher asked me about race. I really couldn't tell because I was sitting in the back seat with the baby, and the man was not directly facing us. My wife was trying to tell me something else, and I snapped at her, "No, he's asking about the man's race!" The dispatcher repeated the question about race. I was beginning to get aggravated at the two conversations at once. I snapped at him, "He's trying to pull her out of the car, you need to get someone here quickly!" I was getting frustrated with hearing two conversations at once, and also trying to watch the scene for relevant developments the dispatcher would need to report.

The dispatcher calmly assured me police were on the way because someone else had already called the incident in ahead of me. I replied, "Okay, good." I still couldn't tell any racial details about the man since I was in the back seat with the baby. I asked my wife if she could see him better. She told me caucasian, so I relayed that to the dispatcher. The dispatcher then informed me I should be seeing a police car momentarily.

Meanwhile, a couple of men from the group that came to help from Logan's parking lot carefully approached the man, and started trying to talk to him to calm him down. I couldn't understand what they were saying because I was concentrating on my conversation with the dispatcher and watching the scene for developments he might need to put in his report. They did convince the man to step back from the jeep.

Once everyone was clear, the woman in the jeep made a right turn and drove away. The group from Logan's parking lot then went back to the parking lot. The man walked across the road to the Wal-Mart parking lot. My wife pulled ahead to the stop sign. We saw the police car approaching us from the left. I notified the dispatcher that the police car was approaching us now. I also told him the remainder of the new developments. My wife made a right turn, and turned in to the parking lot of the hotel on our right. She circled back to the access road between the hotel and Logan's Roadhouse. We were now behind the police car. I told the dispatcher we were behind the police car, and also told my wife to flash our headlights to get the officer's attention so he could talk to us if needed. The dispatcher informed me that we were free to go because the officer was going to proceed to Wal-Mart to catch up with the man on foot.

So, we pulled up behind the patrol car. The patrol car proceeded across the road into the Wal-Mart parking lot. We turned right, and circled back through the hotel parking lot once again to get back on the access road. Then, we turned left, and proceeded to Golden Corral for supper. Talk about a bit of craziness! I'm just glad it had a better ending than it could have had since the woman was able to drive away. I do wonder what will happen next, but probably won't hear any more about it unless I read it in the paper or catch it on the news.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I am so glad you and other people were willing to help. Who knows what would've happened to her?? I wonder if it's some guy she knows or a stranger. I don't think I would've been able to eat after that; I'm upset at reading about it.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You and the other good Samaritans most likely saved that woman's life.

Be proud of yourself. You did a very good deed.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Good job! It's good you guys were there for that lady! I don't know why the dispatchers get caught-up on seemingly strange details, but it was probably so they could identify and catch the guy later.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Or that when they get there and there is a crowd of people around the car, they have an idea of who to detain.

Comment

That was horrible. Bless you for calling the cops, and bless everyone who probably prolonged her life.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

and, if it's someone she already knew... hopefully the woman continues to get away

Comment

I'm guessing given what I observed that the incident was most likely a domestic disturbance. I can understand that they want to document as much detail as possible. However, I was more concerned with knowing that help was on the way since you never know how much worse such situations can get until they escalate out of control. Then, it's too late once it's gone so far.

One odd thing since then is that I've had several missed calls listed as unavailable. No voice mail was left, either, so I have no way of knowing. I know the dispatcher's report has my cell phone number if they need to verify anything I reported to them. About the only detail I no longer remember is the tag number of the vehicle because I had no way to write it down at the time, I just remember that it was a Tennessee tag. I guess if it's important enough, they'll keep trying or leave a voice mail asking me to return their call. It may not be related to this, but I keep wondering.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                  One odd thing since then is that I've had several missed calls listed as unavailable. No voice mail was left, either, so I have no way of knowing. I know the dispatcher's report has my cell phone number if they need to verify anything I reported to them. About the only detail I no longer remember is the tag number of the vehicle because I had no way to write it down at the time, I just remember that it was a Tennessee tag. I guess if it's important enough, they'll keep trying or leave a voice mail asking me to return their call. It may not be related to this, but I keep wondering.
                  Keep us updated if you do talk to the cops again.

I was thinking the same thing: domestic disturbance.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

An interesting thing about domestic disturbances in public places, if you have enough good witnesses, the police can (usually) still go after the fellow for assault even without the cooperation of the victim.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      An interesting thing about domestic disturbances in public places, if you have enough good witnesses, the police can (usually) still go after the fellow for assault even without the cooperation of the victim.
                      Some states have made a law that if there is evidence of violence, such as bruises on one of the parties, the police must arrest the other party even if the victim does not want to press charges.

Don't know what was happening in this incident, but I'm glad people didn't just ignore it.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I did answer the "Unavailable" call today when it came in because I happened to have the phone right beside me when it rang. It was nothing relevant to that incident. However, I think it was a phone scam, so that started another adventure in insanity. I might post about that in another thread so as to keep unrelated topics separate.

I can only assume that if the police would contact me regarding this matter, they would most likely have ID information on the caller ID. I also assume they would most likely leave a message on my voice mail asking me to return their call.

Comment

You did a very good thing by calling 911. Most people are too afraid if getting caught in the crossfire of any kind of dispute and will just walk away or stand idly by and watch without doing anything or without calling for help.

I hope the fucker is caught. If those two did know one another, odds are if he just has to crash for one night in jail, he'll go after her again and she might not have people nearby who care enough to call for help.

Comment

Do you have a local police blotter?

Rapscallion

Comment

Yes, but I don't subscribe to the paper, and I don't go buy a paper everyday. Here lately, I've been going to the library to look through back issues when I have time. The library is only a few blocks from home for me, so I do spend some of my free time there. They keep back issues of the paper for about two months, I think, before they send them off to the recycler.

Comment

Working...
                              X