X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitors DO NOT get the hint!

Grrr....

There is a group in the area. It brings kids around to sell coupons/magazines for donations. I have nothing against the organization but for its blatant disregard for my malls boundaries. Other groups will rent/get donated a booth in our mall sometimes for cookie sales, raffles, etc. Others can sign-up outside certain stores for a table and a time slot (so they're sanctioned by the mall, covered under insurance, etc). But this group doesn't bother to do that, and just shows-up when they want to let-loose a van full of kids into our parking lots between 6 & 9 at night to approach random people with their coupons. This group has been warned 1/2 dozen times, but each time it's a different chaperone with them who is also a clueless volunteer. We finally got contact information for the group and sent a certified 'stop it' letter. (Our 'no solicitation' rules are clear at every mall entrance also). We could have had them arrested every time after that, but merely kicked them out again. They DON'T seem to get it. By not being sanctioned by the mall like the other groups we work with, and if we let them get away with it, if something happens to them of COURSE they'll pull the 'well, they let us solicit on their property so they're responsible for my injuries/loss!'

So of course, AGAIN I'm getting complaints tonight about this group in the parking lot. But WAIT! They're going by a different name now. Sure enough the receipts, cards, badges, etc. all show 'Group X' instead of 'Group Y.' They admit that they used to be group Y, but now operate under group X. I round-up the kids and tell the chaperones that this is the last time. Under no condition are they to come back as either group X or Y, or the police will be called.

I looked it up and it seems as though they have fully rolled-over into operating under the Group X name now, but some of their old photos on their hand-outs show the old name. So now we're aware that it's the same group and that if they think their strikes start anew under a new name they're sorely mistaken.

I feel bad for the kids dumped in our parking lots told to sell stuff after the sun has gone down. I blame the group organizers for not staying with the kids (they'll drop groups off, then come back an hour later to get them), and for ignoring our rules because they can't be bothered to work with us legitimately.
    Last edited by LillFilly; 09-05-2012, 04:02 PM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Grrrrrr, this!

I feel your pain. I don't work at a mall, but the one my GF and I used to shop at is always crawling with kids hawking something or other - usually its candy, cookies, or coupon books. You can't walk six feet without someone intercepting you. It's gotten so bad that we don't even really go there that much anymore.

My nieces are always being 'pushed' by their schools, into selling stuff. At least every other week there's a new catalog in their hand. It's getting ridiculous, it really is. The problem is school budgets keep getting cut and/or levies aren't successful, so the school districts have to resort to this sort of thing to keep some programs alive. And the sad fact is the companies that bring in these sales programs make ridiculous profit on useless overpriced crap, and the organization doing the selling only gets a token amount. It's sad.

Comment

I remember a story awhile back in our local paper about a guy who was doing this with kids at supermarkets. Allegedly, the kids were selling chocolate bars to raise money to keep youth out of street gangs and other similar "worthy causes".

The reporter quickly determined that the money collected was going nowhere except in the pocket of the guy who ran the operation.

But it gets better. They interviewed him as part of the story and he claimed the kids were telling the truth about where the money went, because kids WERE being kept out of street gangs...by working for him.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        I remember a story awhile back in our local paper about a guy who was doing this with kids at supermarkets. Allegedly, the kids were selling chocolate bars to raise money to keep youth out of street gangs and other similar "worthy causes".

The reporter quickly determined that the money collected was going nowhere except in the pocket of the guy who ran the operation.

But it gets better. They interviewed him as part of the story and he claimed the kids were telling the truth about where the money went, because kids WERE being kept out of street gangs...by working for him.

I was thinking along those lines myself - that if they disregard the rules like that, refuse to go thru proper channels - to me, that usually signals a less than legitimate group. Most legitimate charities want to work within the system, in co-operation with the shops and public, and keep a good relationship with the community. This gorups sounds dodgy as can be.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I'll get them in my apartment complex every now and then, even though there are "No Soliciting" signs at every entrance.

Once genius bunch showed up before the office closed (they usually wait until after) and when I told them there was no soliciting, they said the had permission. Yeah, right. Quick call to the office and here come the maintenance staff to run them off.

One evening though all I could do was yell at them. Showed up at my door around 6:15pm, trying to sell me dodgy tamales out of a questionable cooler. The office closes at 6pm, security patrol doesn't come on until 7pm.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            I'll get them in my apartment complex every now and then, even though there are "No Soliciting" signs at every entrance.
            I worked in a building that had those signs everywhere. They were on every door leading in from the parking garage, a big sign in the front lobby, and even on some companies' entrances. Did that stop them? Of course not. They'd simply waltz right in, and attempt to sell their crap.

Most of them would either realize their mistake, or leave when told we weren't interested. For those who didn't...I'd have a little fun with them. That is, I'd tell them to hit up our "subsidiary" located in suite 400. That was our landlord's office. They'd head down there...and promptly get ejected from the building
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Most of them would either realize their mistake, or leave when told we weren't interested. For those who didn't...I'd have a little fun with them. That is, I'd tell them to hit up our "subsidiary" located in suite 400. That was our landlord's office. They'd head down there...and promptly get ejected from the building
              That is _evil_!

Can I play too?

Comment

Some schools down here still do the choccy frog sales (which is usually the only "lolly" sold apart from the occasional girl guide biscuit run), although schools are now getting more creative with fundraising. Some of the ideas have included:

-Walk-a-thon
                -Crazy hair day
                -Casual days (since a majority of schools in Australia have uniforms, students will relish this gladly, although a number of schools are also introducing restrictions on said casual day because some of the female students will rock up on casual day wearing what amounts to a tiny boob tube and a micromini with thongs, while some of the male students will rock up with sagging pants and shirts emphasizing their penis size-or lack thereof)
                -Sponsored silence.
                -Cook off.
                -Staff vs students sport (the ones I've seen include netball, volleyball and basketball)
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  a number of schools are also introducing restrictions on said casual day because some of the female students will rock up on casual day wearing what amounts to a tiny boob tube
                  And what's wrong with them wearing a 1.5" TV set?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    And what's wrong with them wearing a 1.5" TV set?
                    har de har har. >.>

The general safety rule for both primary and high schools is coverage from shoulder-to-school-skirt minimum. (some school skirts will go a bit above knee length, but not too high to be considered a micromini) IN addition, shoes must be closed-in. For casual days, generally ballet flats and similar are fine, but no sandals/flip-flops/thongs.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      har de har har. >.>

The general safety rule for both primary and high schools is coverage from shoulder-to-school-skirt minimum. (some school skirts will go a bit above knee length, but not too high to be considered a micromini) IN addition, shoes must be closed-in. For casual days, generally ballet flats and similar are fine, but no sandals/flip-flops/thongs.
                      This reminds me of a story at my own school. In my town, kids can dress up for Halloween only up until 8th grade (so at the end of Junior High/Middle School.) Once you hit High School (9th-12th) you cannot dress up in costume anymore. So in the 8th grade, these two girls decided to "Go out with a bang" and assumed that normal school dress-code didn't apply during Halloween.

They came to school as French Maids. (Not cute, knee length skirt with poofy sleeves and frilly apron maid, but FRENCH, OH SIR WE SHOULDN'T MAID.)

Then they had the gall to bitch and moan when the school punished them in the typical first infraction manner. They had to wear XXL t-shirts with lobsters on them over their "costumes."
                      Last edited by MadMike; 09-15-2012, 01:21 AM. Reason: Removed fratching-style comment
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post

So of course, AGAIN I'm getting complaints tonight about this group in the parking lot. But WAIT! They're going by a different name now. Sure enough the receipts, cards, badges, etc. all show 'Group X' instead of 'Group Y.' They admit that they used to be group Y, but now operate under group X. I round-up the kids and tell the chaperones that this is the last time. Under no condition are they to come back as either group X or Y, or the police will be called.
                        Have the adults arrested a couple of times - I bet they stop after a few times being taken away.
                        Last edited by crazylegs; 09-14-2012, 05:43 PM. Reason: Trimmed the quote
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

personally i'm all for the idea about calling the police.
                          volunteer or not they repeatedly ignored your requests

you might want to send another letter first, just to cover your backside but ... then I say call if they come back. cos it's clear whether or not it's X or Y they still aren't caring about the rules.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                            I feel bad for the kids dumped in our parking lots told to sell stuff after the sun has gone down. I blame the group organizers for not staying with the kids (they'll drop groups off, then come back an hour later to get them)
                            (Emphasis Mine) -- after dark? o_O I think Child Protective Services might be interested in this...Or at the very least, the kids' parents, if that info can be gleaned. Perhaps ask the cops do so. If they are there in time and bear witness to the fact that the kids were left in a mall parking lot, around all that traffic, at night, unattended...and in violation of the No Soliciting policy as well....yyyyyeeeaah.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I was sick of idiots coming to my door all the time, and just not accepting that I don't own the house and only live here. All the bills are addressed to the owners (my parents, but they don't have to know that) and I have no say in any power or phone suppliers. So about two years ago I decided to stick a notice up on the window beside the front door. Since I did, I don't think I have had more than a couple of solicitors, which considering it used to happen several times a week is impressive.

What did I put on the notice? Here it is.

To Visitors To Our Property

We don't want to change our phone supplier
                              We don't wish to change our power supplier
                              We are happy with our gas supplier
                              We don't want to change our internet supplier
                              We are happy with our mobile phone supplier
                              We don't wish to change our garden man
                              We don't need cleaning supplies or household goods
                              If we want something, we will research it ourselves

If you ignore this sign, don't be offended when we shut the door before you finish your spiel.

What is funny is I have seen some people come to the door, notice the sign, then walk away. Yes, people can read. I have no problems with anyone copying my sign or adapting it for your own home. And for information, I have shut the door on one person who refused to read the sign. The other couple of solicitors actually apologised and left on their own when I pointed to the sign. You may also notice I didn't mention charity or religious people since I don't usually get many of them to the house, and the ones that do are actually polite and will accept no as an answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X