Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first job was a bust.....lengthy tale.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first job was a bust.....lengthy tale.

So I had my first job at a Blue Critter, Minimum wage and just part time, but money is money right? little BG- My Sister started working there for about 3 months prior before I came along, they needed help and she referred me since I cook at home, I get called in for an interview along with 4 other people, I was called up last and after the basic questions "Can you handle these responsibility's? Etc. etc." I was told they had my number, so I head back to my ride and the manager stands up and calls me back, he says "You're hired," shakes my hand and I'm told to come in the next day at 3:00pm,--End Bg.

Sounds promising right? Well it gets a little bumpy down the road, I find out the A/C is out, and after talking to a coworker it turns out that it hasn't been repaired for the last 2 years, the Box fans that are wired up around the building are better than nothing, after each day like any establishment we sweep/mop the floors at the end of the day, after pulling the Grill out I notice a huge wire that has been melted in half exposing the inner wires, should the melting happen again shock is Very likely to occur, I inform management and go about my business, (this is important.) I notice in the signs and handbooks my coworkers and I are supposed to be wearing gloves at all times, We Don't, I started putting them on afterwards but for them most part everyone seems to just wash their hands more often, I mean we had the gloves all over, Oh but we DO put them on when a health inspector shows up. Our equipment Fails, the Ice maker cannot produce enough Ice to keep up with demand, so my boss rushes out to buy about 20, 10 Lb. bags of Ice every day or so, the fryer has broken Vats so we can't use those, one of the grills control panels doesn't work (we can't use that side of the grill) and sparks are flying out the slushy machine, one of the fridges where we used to keep eggs and bacon couldn't keep cool enough so we had to move stock. After the 3rd week I still noticed the wires/machine around me untouched, so I sent an anonymous letter to the head company, describing the conditions and possible dangers of said items; understand I had already told my boss numerous times of the hazards and he always replied that he'd do something about it, which resulted in nothing.
    So comes my last day, I worked the evening shift my entire time as cook, and suddenly I'm moved to the morning shift, (7:30am) so I wake up early to get ready and get there right on time, we have a rush of church goers and I've never stocked nor prepared some of the items on this menu, during the commotion our bun toaster gets clogged because somebody forgot to clean it, then our steamer needs to be reset because it's not heating properly, I'm trying my best on my First morning shift and we finally get the orders out, coming up late. I had finally begun to see results as my boss was replacing the wires that had been melted with new ones, and fixed a couple of the machines, and on that morning, I was fired. He claimed I was too slow for the job and that he needed someone faster, saying he could see the effort but it wasn't enough, I later found out that 3 other coworkers of who either witnessed or heard about the melted wires and informed the boss were also fired, including my Sister, supposedly the owner is an asshole who tries to save as much money as possible, and when told by the company to repair the busted equipment he was forced to oblige. All I know is they have better equipment now…
    I didn't feel any regret when I left, only sad because the money would stop, R was gone and he was the best part of that job, my coworker R was awesome, he knew the routine and all the steps, I could ask for help and he'd tell me what I needed to know, he moved away maybe 2 weeks after I started work t
    All in all it was probably fair for a first job, the money helped me out and I got a little experience out of it.
    Last edited by Eddyisme; 09-11-2012, 06:10 AM. Reason: Shortened some.

Cheap ass boss. Sorry you had to deal with that. But I'm glad you come out with a positive attitude and some experience under your belt.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Eddyisme View Post
      ...I later found out that 3 other coworkers of who either witnessed or heard about the melted wires and informed the boss were also fired, including my Sister, supposedly the owner is an asshole who tries to save as much money as possible, and when told by the company to repair the busted equipment he was forced to oblige. All I know is they have better equipment now…
      How the hell does he expect to run the place efficiently without properly running equipment?! When several pieces of necessary equipment are not working, naturally the workers are going to slow down, as everyone's using the few items that are working!

That's not even bringing the health and fire hazards into it. Cheapo jackass should've been closed down ages ago...!
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        How the hell does he expect to run the place efficiently without properly running equipment?! When several pieces of necessary equipment are not working, naturally the workers are going to slow down, as everyone's using the few items that are working!

That's not even bringing the health and fire hazards into it. Cheapo jackass should've been closed down ages ago...!
        At least he agreed to a reference, though I'm not quite sure if that will help me much, a rival chain is 2 blocks away, they have better service and better prices, (similar menu) He refuses to hire anyone that has worked there in the past, I filled out an application at the rival drive in and asked if they had a problem with me since I worked at Blue Critter and he was a little surprised, he replied "Nooo....why?" I told him how my manager hired people and he just shook his head and said anyone is welcome.

Comment

He also had a problem with people who worked for a rival chain about 2 blocks away, wouldn't hire any of them or even keep an application I don't think. Rival chain said they had no problem with me having worked at Blue Critter, and were a little surprised at the question.

Comment

Re: thread tittle: I was a bottle baby...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X