X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aww fuck

Just to show you how out of it I am....

November 18 Nintendo is rolling out its new console, the Wii U.

I will be rolling into Christmas-ruining form shortly after that, I guess. Just in time for Black Friday!

Apparently a pre-ordered Wii-on-U is for sale on ebay for 900 smackers.

This will be an interesting Black Friday/Christmas, I can tell.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

So totally not buying that thing lol.

I don't know how my dad managed to get me my Wii only a month or two after the thing launched.

I will send you all the good energy I can so that you may overcome this trying times. Also if I can find a way to mail rum-cake without it being gross by the time it gets there I'd do that. Sounds like you're going to need it.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Considering Nintendo's track record (read about it on Acts of Gord) in cutting allocations after guaranteeing a store that they'll receive "X" number of units (in Gord's case, I recall his allocation being a guaranteed minimum of 18 units, which they reduced to zero after he had already taken pre-orders for all of them), I wonder what eBay will do about "failure to deliver the goods" if the person who's selling their pre-ordered unit winds up on the wrong end of a reduced allocation to the store they're buying it from. After all, they're selling something they don't have yet.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Considering Nintendo's track record (read about it on Acts of Gord) in cutting allocations after guaranteeing a store that they'll receive "X" number of units (in Gord's case, I recall his allocation being a guaranteed minimum of 18 units, which they reduced to zero after he had already taken pre-orders for all of them), I wonder what eBay will do about "failure to deliver the goods" if the person who's selling their pre-ordered unit winds up on the wrong end of a reduced allocation to the store they're buying it from. After all, they're selling something they don't have yet.
        That was for the PS2. He Originally was supposed to get 30, they changed it to minimum 12 max 18 then changed it to 0. I think his store was closed before the WII even came on the market.

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
          That was for the PS2. He Originally was supposed to get 30, they changed it to minimum 12 max 18 then changed it to 0. I think his store was closed before the WII even came on the market.
          Been a while since I read the site - my mistake. Still, what's going to happen if the guy who sells his pre-ordered unit doesn't get it for some reason outside his control? "Short-selling" Unobtanium is asking for trouble.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Just to show you how out of it I am....

I will be rolling into Christmas-ruining form shortly after that, I guess. Just in time for Black Friday!

This will be an interesting Black Friday/Christmas, I can tell.
            We'll have to wait and see, of course, but I predict this won't catch fire the way that the original Wii did. Of course, I'm he guy who thought the iPad wouldn't sell because it was too expensive for what it did, so take me with a shaker of salt.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

IPF,

Your title was fitting; Simple and to the point.

also, $900 ?!

I look forward to your Christmas Ruining.

Comment

I remember working at a toys r us in 2001 when the original xbox and the gamecube launched in the same week.... Now that was fun....

Comment

Oh yay, here we go again!

I remember similar fun with the 360 launch in 05 and the PS3/Wii lauches in '06 as I worked at a games store through both of them.

I actually STILL work at a games store so I'll be having the same kind of fun you will be Irv.

I remember when the Wii was red hot in December of 2006. We got...I think 20 for launch and then after that they trickled in at a rate of 2 to 4 a week. I remember one day I had around 15 customers basically camped out in my store awaiting a shipment of them (which might not even get there that day. Our system could only show when the items were sent NOT when they would arrive). Every time a UPS truck got close they started reacting.

The systems didn't show up that day, but I started wondering about the mob scene that might have ensued if they did.

The next day I had a similar group of customers in the store. I immediately identified the first 6 in line and gave them cards to hang on to, which I told them would likely get them a system but was NOT guaranteed to. I told the rest they would probably be out of luck but they could stick around if they wanted to on the off chance we got more. Most of them did.

I then made clear to everybody that I would NOT tolerate any suckiness, nastiness or bullshit and that I was not above kicking someone out of line or contacting the police if the situation called for it. Thankfully everyone behaved.

This scene repeated itself at least 3 more times before Christmas.

Admittedly, I've made a bit of money reselling consoles. I picked up a 360 Premium (I think that's what they were called originally) in Nov 2005 and made $300 selling it. I also picked up a Wii the second week of December 2006 and made about $225 on it.

Both of these were sold locally, no ebay for me. Also, NEITHER machine was purchased at the store I worked at.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                    We'll have to wait and see, of course, but I predict this won't catch fire the way that the original Wii did. Of course, I'm he guy who thought the iPad wouldn't sell because it was too expensive for what it did, so take me with a shaker of salt.
                    Personally I'm thinking this won't catch fire the way the Wii did namely because it lacks the killer game that got all the non-gamers who normally don't buy gaming systems to suddenly buy the Wii as in Wii Sports. Yeah the system is well designed and has some good ideas to it I'll give credit where its due. The way Nintendo is going to use the screen on the controller is well done from its used for say inventory control in an FPS game to near real time stats updates while watching a sports game on TV. I'm just having a hard time imagining all this becoming a huge selling feature to the same folks who bought the Wii just for Wii Sports and never bought any other games for it.... okay maybe a few of those folks bought one of the endless repackagings of that trashy Game Party but still I think you get my point.

Don't get me wrong this will sell huge during the Holidays. And us who work in stores that sell it will get to hear "you ruined my (fill in the blank)'s Christmas" a many times. I think by April/May-ish 2013 you'll be able to walk in most stores and get one easily at the latest. I just don't see this system having the legs to keep the demand at those high levels like the Wii did.
                    Last edited by Demolition Man; 09-22-2012, 08:01 PM.
                    New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                    New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

Quoth Demolition Man View Post
                      Personally I'm thinking this won't catch fire the way the Wii did namely because it lacks the killer game that got all the non-gamers who normally don't buy gaming systems to suddenly buy the Wii as in Wii Sports. Yeah the system is well designed and has some good ideas to it I'll give credit where its due. The way Nintendo is going to use the screen on the controller is well done from its used for say inventory control in an FPS game to near real time stats updates while watching a sports game on TV. I'm just having a hard time imagining all this becoming a huge selling feature to the same folks who bought the Wii just for Wii Sports and never bought any other games for it.... okay maybe a few of those folks bought one of the endless repackagings of that trashy Game Party but still I think you get my point.

Don't get me wrong this will sell huge during the Holidays. And us who work in stores that sell it will get to hear "you ruined my (fill in the blank)'s Christmas" a many times. I think by April/May-ish 2013 you'll be able to walk in most stores and get one easily at the latest. I just don't see this system having the legs to keep the demand at those high levels like the Wii did.
                      You may well be correct. Good luck to all of you on the front lines - I don't envy you having to go through this kind of mess yet again.
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Eh, I'm a Nintendo fanboy lifer, so this will eventually find its way into my home, I'm sure. Thank God I'm not compelled to have it immediately.

Comment

I work at a game store. Our chain got one of the larger supplies available for order and we sold out of the premium black ones in less than 24 hours and the regular white ones in about two and a half days. :/ Yea I'm going to ruin a TON of kids holiday seasons. lol.

On a good note they are more adult based than the wii and seem to be having some more mature contented games coming out on them. Looks like fun. I might have to pick one up. XD

Comment

Ah snip snap dizzle nizzle those console releases!!! I remember camping from 7am to midnight to get my wii haha Those new release prices and camps can be evil but also very fun! Good luck Sir! Don't ruin yourself too much!

Comment

Working...
                            X