This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The seasonal lifestyle

Back in 2012 I got a job working on a train in Alaska for the summer. I only intended to work there one summer and then go back to working a normal full time job. Well, fast forward to 2017 and I'm still doing seasonal work. I worked for the same company in Alaska for five summers and later picked up three winters in Montana.

I'm working for a different company in Alaska this year, but it's been an overall good experience. With any luck I'll be able to work a full season next year. February to November would be a long season, but it would be nice to stay in one place.

Has anyone else done seasonal work? And what did you think of it?
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Not THAT kind of seasonal work. I would love it!

Was going to apply for seasonal work this year, but as I'm going to visit brother & family for a week at that time, it didn't seem a good idea ... unless I got a seasonal job at a place I'd never want to go back to and could cheerfully say on Dec. 19: "Sorry, I'm leaving now and won't be back!"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I worked for drive-in theaters for a number of years. Open in spring, close in autumn. It was part-time in addition to my regular 30-to-40 a week, though, so it's not quite comparable. It was very enjoyable work, in that it was very informal and there was a 'fun' atmosphere. It didn't even feel like work because you were friends with everybody - customers, staff, and management alike. Some of the fondest memories of my adolescence and early adulthood come from my experiences at the drive-in.

Of course, some of those experiences would get me arrested today.

Comment

You should go for it. It's a great way to do some traveling and see new places. If the hospitality/tourism industry isn't your thing, there's park services jobs or even office jobs. Work seasons run the gamut from a few weeks to several months. Most places don't mind working with people's schedules as long as you let them know in advance. Coolworks.com is an excellent resource if you want to learn more.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I kind of wish I had done that. When I was getting out of school, I had the chance to go into the kind of work. I think it would have been good for me because it would keep me from getting bored doing one thing for too long.

Comment

Sort of. Back in the late 80s I worked as a rad whore for companies refitting and repairing nuke power plants, and that is all short contracts and tends to be all Jan - May [got to have electricity in the summer for all those air conditioners!] I think my average contract was about 4 weeks, longest one I worked was 7 weeks. [hm, $65 tax free per diem for food and motel and $25 per hour wages. I made out like a freaking bandit when I worked an outage at Ginnea in Rochester NY - I stayed at my parents house and banked all the per diem =) ]

I liked it. If I were still in a field where I worked seasonally or short contracts like that, or my husband worked a traveling contract position I think I would suggest that we simply buy a great RV and live in RV parks/campsites so we would always have out home with us. I frequently see RVs towing a smart car when I am on the road, and I have a friend from an email list that lives in her RV with her cat [retired, so her permanent address is at her kids house.]

And Kusanagi from this board many years ago posted information on how he modified a van to live in because he gave up his appartment to help destress his life. I hope he is doing well [and maybe posts again? Sometimes I worry about people that drop out of posting...]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
            X