This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Moirae View Post
    I was fired today. And he couldn't even be bothered to tell ME. The owner told my husband to just bring all the paperwork back and made HIM tell me. No reason given.
    That really sucks. Dirty cowards. I hope you get Unemployment benefits.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Don't forget to have withholding on your unemployment. Every other client of mine who ended up owing on their taxes owed because they forgot that unemployment is taxable (Line 19).
      One mason dodged that bullet because his teacher wife was working on her master's (education tax credits put them on the plus side). From the way he was breathing heavily and rubbing his chest, I thought I would have to call paramedics.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I got a job making twice what I used to. But for some reason I'm not excited.

Comment

Congrats! Give it time and let it settle in. Perhaps the best thing you can do for now is to just focus on the job you have NOW, and push that other nonsense from the former job aside. Excel in this, and let that bring you up.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

2 days in to the job. I'm being paid well, I have lots of responsibilities that I'm having no problem doing, I'm getting along and laughing with my coworkers. I'm working hard and I know I can do this without a problem, plus I've been told that I'm really nice and easy to get along with. I was even taken to the store and allowed to buy anything I wanted for my office, including a new monitor. I've been fighting for this my whole life, and I finally smashed that glass ceiling with my fist.

But I think I've just been burned so badly in the past that I feel like the sword of damocles is going to come down on my head any second. I'm actually scared of getting burned again so I'm having a hard time feeling any excitement or relief at all.

I should be excited. I should be happy. I should at least be relieved. But I just don't trust it.
            Last edited by Moirae; 11-15-2017, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Then protect yourself. Save a little money from each paycheck, since you're making more money than you were before.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Kristev makes a good point. If you're used to living in a somewhat more Spartan manner, keep it up -- with the occasional treat for yourself. Save what you can in a separate account or what have you, to build up a buffer. Then, six months or a year from now, assess your current position. You may just find that you've got yourself a rather nice shield with which to deflect that sword. In the meantime, remember that the sword is...out there. The job you have is HERE and NOW. Focus on that to the best of your ability, and don't fret if you end up worrying anyway. We all worry. Just have confidence that whatever money you can put aside -- whether it's fifty bucks a month or fifty a week or whatever -- will be there when you need it.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks guys, it's appreciated.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Kristev makes a good point. If you're used to living in a somewhat more Spartan manner, keep it up... Just have confidence that whatever money you can put aside -- whether it's fifty bucks a month or fifty a week or whatever -- will be there when you need it.
                    That or put that extra towards debt payments. Once debtless, consider IRA (if your new workplace does not offer a 401k or equivalent).
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                    X