This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ding Dong! The witch is in prison!
    Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

• May she have as good of a prison experience as your mare has had a life.

Comment

• That judge was not horsing around
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

• How are the foals doing?

Comment

• Any news on the foals' progress, pretty please?

Comment

• For those wondering about the foals progress it's not a happy story, though entirely unrelated to the horse hag.

I noticed the head tremors and had a vet test for genetic diseases. So far there's only an indirect test (at least as far as I know) but it did confirm they both had Cerebellar Abiotrophy, commonly referred to as CA. After doing research and spending weeks talking with my vet we noticed that the hind legs started to become effected. At that point it was cruel to keep them alive as horses with CA tend to have accidents and with the legs effected and gradually worsening they would have had no quality of life. Between trying to keep them alive with the high risk of them falling in either the stall or paddock (and potentially laying there for hours with a broken leg or head wound) or having them humanely euthanasized, I chose to have them put to sleep. There are horses with mild forms of CA which would have allowed them to at least live a decent life but they were not mildly effected. If they had been I would have seen where it went and decided later. They happened to have a late onset but a rapid degeneration. There is as of 2006 I think, a test that can determine if a horse has this disease, is a carrier, or is clear. Both Sire and Dam must be a carrier in order to present in foals.

Sorry I took so long to update but I wasn't really in the mood.

That being said, I'm using horse therapy again and working with another abused horse who has recently passed all her tests and is to be rehomed with at a therapeutic riding center for abused children up in Kamloops. Perhaps some good can come of all the bad.
              Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

• Aww, that's too bad. I guess the parents don't get to breed anymore?

Comment

• Hopefully the sire doesn't, the dam's already dead.

Comment

• Bright side

I admit it is hard since you had to put the horses asleep, but think of the care and love you gave them while they were here.

Imagine if that hag got her hands on one/both of these foals. She would had never seen the problems developing, instead she would try to force the horses to be what they never could become.

And she probably would blame you for raising/training them wrong.

Then later when it was impossible to not see the problems in the horses, she would try to sue you as selling her defective horses (even while she tried to steal them in the first place) and meanwhile probably refuse to spend the money to take proper care of the horse(s).

It is a shame what did happen to the foals, but they still had a far better life under your care than they could ever had if that hag ever got control of them.

Comment

• Well, that's depressing as hell. Thank you for humanely euthanizing them. I'm a small animal vet tech, and I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that when we have so much power over animals it is our duty to put them down when they have this kind of problem, or they are damaged beyond healing. Prolonging pain and suffering is not mercy, it is arrogance.

Comment

• Quoth Minflick View Post
                        Well, that's depressing as hell. Thank you for humanely euthanizing them. I'm a small animal vet tech, and I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that when we have so much power over animals it is our duty to put them down when they have this kind of problem, or they are damaged beyond healing. Prolonging pain and suffering is not mercy, it is arrogance.
                        Exactly how I feel. I understand that some people want to hold onto their pets til the bitter end but there comes a time where you have to put the animals needs before your wants. I had a golden retriever as a first dog (Ginger was already old when we got her. It was more a test to see if we could even handle a dog as kids rather then get a puppy and find out it's too much to handle. That way, being an older dog she wouldn't have as much energy as a puppy not to mention already trained so if necessary my mother could have kept up on the responsibility if it overwelmed us kids. Better then having a full time job with deployments and trying to figure out how to manage a puppy and take care of kids. The last thing anyone wanted was another puppy brought to the SPCA because we couldn't take care off it properly and had no place to rehome to.), she lived until seven-fucking-teen perfectly healthy until it got cancer. By that point putting an animal that old through the stress of surgery and chemotherapy is just cruel.

But I've see the opposite too, where someone so desperate to hold on to their pets life that they go through years of operations and treatments until the animals so exhausted all it can do is lay there.

I would rather have given the twins a few good months then have them gradually worsen until they fall, break a leg, and end up laying there for hours. It rains a lot here. If they had fallen in one of the dips in the field they very well could have drowned before anyone found them. The storms are loud enough where you aren't going to hear something that small over the sound of wind and rain.

Animals may not be as intelligent in the same way humans are (personally I think most are smarter then humans) but they aren't stupid either. They can process thoughts and prioritize, they're also aware enough of their bodies to know if something's wrong. You can still feel pain just like any living creature.

If you want a more human comparison then picture this. An artist, who has spent their entire life around colours, textures, proportions, and the like. Who's made it a career and lives their life immersed in their work, starts to lose their vision. The vibrant colours and ability to distinguish the various hues and shades starts to blur. Maybe they deny it for a while but eventually there comes a point where they can't avoid the knowledge that the world is turning dark. Eventually they go blind. But because art was such a big part of their life, they don't know any other way. This new dark world is an aberration. Maybe they eventually adjust and are able to function but they'll always remember what they've lost.

How do you think an animal, particularly one that is the epitome of beauty in movement is going to feel about gradually losing its ability to move until even standing still is a colossal amount of effort to remain upright. Horses are constantly moving. Even if it's just walking around to graze or to lift their head up once in a while to see what's happening. They're prey animals regardless of how domesticated they are. It's hard wired in their brain. Now take that away and what is there left? Not even a matter of this is always what it's known. They could run perfectly fine when they were born. Then they gradually lost the ability to even focus properly or to move in the direction they wanted easily? Meanwhile with the ever present knowledge that tomorrow at best they'd be the same but possibly worse off.
                        Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

• I'm just so so sorry this all happened to you hun.

Comment

Working...
                          X