This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 'hearing' ...

I went into a drugstore today to buy some (heaven help me) eye makeup. I was standing there in total bewilderment in front of shelves and shelves and SHELVES of makeup stuff, with no idea where to begin, when I hear a staff member speaking to someone in a different aisle. It sounded as though I had come into this in the middle.

SM: "I'm sorry, ma'am, I thought you were just browsing. I didn't know you had more questions for me."

SC: *couldn't hear exactly what she said but apparently she was continuing to whine*

SM: "Yes ma'am, I am sorry. As I said, I didn't realize you wanted to ask me any more questions. What did you want to know?"

SC: "It doesn't matter!!"

*stalks out in righteous rage*

As the episode appeared to be over, I thought it best not to address it directly -- there were other customers nearby and I figured the SM wouldn't want to risk saying anything nasty about the SC in front of them. I asked the same staff member for and tried to be extra-nice to make up for the Madam Passive-Aggressive, who apparently could use a hefty dose of extra-strength laxative to get that stick out of her ass.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I can certainly sympathize with the employee. One time at my last retail job, I got paged to an aisle for customer assistance. When I got there, however, there was no one there. I figured maybe I simply beat the customer there, so I waited around for five minutes or so. Still no customer, so I did a quick walk around the general area, in case they had gone to the wrong aisle, and still no one. So I went back to what I was working on.

A few minutes later, some customers approached me and started complaining about how someone was supposed to page an employee for him, but there was no one there when he got to the aisle. I apologized to him, and told him that I did go to the aisle in question, and waited for five minutes, but no one showed up. I politely asked him what he needed help with, but he just yelled something like, "Oh forget it!" and stormed off.

I guess he thought I should have waited all day for him if necessary, and that he was the only customer in the store, and I didn't have anything else I was supposed to be working on.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Mike - Pretty much, yeah...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        SM: "I'm sorry, ma'am, I thought you were just browsing. I didn't know you had more questions for me."

SC: *couldn't hear exactly what she said but apparently she was continuing to whine*

SM: "Yes ma'am, I am sorry. As I said, I didn't realize you wanted to ask me any more questions. What did you want to know?"
        Arg, I know exactly how that goes. People don't say "okay, thanks" to end the conversation, they just go quiet and fuss over the product so I was always forced to ask if they needed anything else. Which doesn't SEEM like it would be bad or hard, but very often these people did not receive a definite yes or no answer to their original question, so they seemed to expect me to be on standby until they figure out their project.

Like asking if we had a certain brand, which we didn't. I point out a different brand which is pretty much the same thing. They then ask if that product will do some very random and specific thing, and I had to say that probably it would but I'd always recommend testing it first. Then they sigh and pick up products and I was left standing there like ??? And if I asked if they need any more help it will start them up asking the same sort of things which I can't answer the way they want.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
        X