Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can now buy RFID chips you can put on your bags so you can track them. Some airlines are starting to use RFID in baggage tags. According to this article, handlers are alerted if a bag is going onto the wrong flight.

http://news.delta.com/delta-introduc...king-process-0

Turkish Airlines is giving frequent fliers RFID cards to put inside luggage.

Comment

Quoth Victorian Christmas Tree View Post
      One time I was flying and I got to the airport with my luggage when I got to my destination I got paged they paged me to tell me my luggage was in the baggage claim office and it got there two hours before me how the hell did that happen
      Luggage got tossed on an earlier connecting flight.
      Had that happened to me flying through the Salt Lake City airport. My flight started out at Detroit, then at Salt Lake, I went from the mainline airline to a regional airline to my final location in Southern Utah. Right when I got to the regional waiting room, they had final boarding for an earlier flight going to the same place as me, and I didn't think much of it (Reason I didn't take that flight was because of a to quick overlay plus it was on a turbo prop, and not a jet unlike the flight I took). After my flight when I got to that town's regional airport/hair saloon/tire car center carousel, luggage didn't come out with the rest of them. A baggage handler came out of the door next to the carousel, and asked if everyone got their bags. I told him no, mine was missing.. He opened the door to the closet, and there was my bag, sitting right in the middle. He told me, that it had been tossed on the earlier flight.
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
        I was told about putting coloured ribbons on my luggage before my first international trip.
        I personally have either a Woodstock (from Peanuts) plush, a colorful little flat rubber cat cutout with my name, address, and phone number on it, or a colorful bag tag, depending on the piece of luggage that I'm using.
        Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

Years back, I bought a roll of evidence tape. I still have most of it, and occasionally wrap my suitcase with some. Mainly to watch the reactions as my bag is going around on the belt.

One of the times I did so, the TSA opened my bag; I had a bottle of oil and some vintage electronics in it so that's probably why. Whoever broke the tape to open my suitcase did so carefully and made a decent effort to 'reseal' it ...looked good unless you got up close and that probably took more time than the actual inspection Glad I was able to add a little fun to someone's day.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My luggage is all hand-made, ooak. Bit too distinctive for someone to risk trying to swipe.

At least so far. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
              This was a few months after the Bali drugs in the boogie board bag fiasco, so there were places in the airport where you could have your bag plastic wrapped to hell and back.
              I once had to meet a ship in Djibouti -- I was on a Naval Oiler, and that's where ships of that type gets the cargo fuel to pass back to other Navy ships, of various allied countries that do the Red Sea/ East Africa 'anti-piracy' patrols.

Flights to Djibouti have a reputation for having your luggage opened, or sometimes outright stolen, if you belong to a foreign navy.

I had a very long layover in Dubai (can't remember how many hours, but about 12, I think), just before the last leg into Djibouti. They had one of those plastic-wrap machines in the terminal, and I paid to have mine wrapped. It made me feel that my luggage was a little safer.

Got there, and my luggage was okay.

On a side-note, my stay on that particular ship wasn't as long as it should've been; my appendix burst a few months later, when we were tying-up again, in Djibouti.

I was taken to the United States Naval Expeditionary Base, Camp Lemonnier, to the Navy clinic there. It wasn't a regular hospital, but I was given a bed in the E.R. section, where I was entertained by such novelties as monkey-bite victims.

They tried to do x-rays of my appendix, but couldn't spot the damage; their equipment wasn't that of a full-scale hospital. So, they took me to the local hospital for an MRI.

As we were pulling-up to the entrance, the local ambulance driver got out, in order to argue with a goat herder, who was blocking the way in. You see, a water pipe had broken along the curb to the driveway, and his whole herd was in the way, as they tried to get to the puddles of water. Finally, that was resolved.

They eventually decided that the base wasn't equipped to handle an appendectomy, so I was flown to the Canadian Hospital in Dubai, in an air-ambulance. The best part of that, was that I got to lie-down in an airplane 'hospital bed' for both the take-off and the landing! Most comfortable airplane ride I've ever had!
              Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Working...
              X