Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the most expensive food item we carry is...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the most expensive food item we carry is...

Yesterday I received/signed for possibly the most expensive food item I have ever personally laid hands on.

(I don't think I was actually supposed to sign for it, but the vendor is one that Grocery gets a lot from as well so I didn't know exactly what it was...also there was no name on the label as to who it was for)

Shortly after the Fedex guy left, D (one of the restaurant managers) comes into the warehouse as I'm opening the case just to see what it is.
    D: "Oh good, you signed for it."
    Me: "I thought this was for Grocery. So what is it?"
    D shows me the invoice...two cases of truffle-cream sauce (which we have in grocery so I thought it was ours) and 400-odd grams of fresh black truffles at a wholesale price of just under $400
    D: "The truffles are obviously perishable, so it shouldn't sit out back here. Did Fedex just leave?"
    Me: "Yup, about a minute ago."
    D: "Awesome. I'll take that stuff. Thank you sososo much, I know if anyone else had signed for it it would have just sat here."

On that note...yay truffle season hath started (yes I'm weird)
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I'm pretty sure I've tried truffles in chocolate and suchlike, but I don't think I've ever tried black truffles. Are they particularly rare? What do they taste like?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Truffles are a fungus, so they taste kinda mushroomy, more earthy though.

The black truffles can be commercially cultivated so black is the cheaper of the two, but have a milder flavor. White truffles can't (at least not on a large scale) so that's the expensive one.

(I probably mentioned elsewhere that we have "white chocolate truffles" that aren't what one would first think )

Comment

Note that the chocolate confection called "truffle" is very different. It is named for its supposed similarity in appearance to the fungus.

Truffles are odd things. To me, they can really make a dish taste much better, without tasting like anything more than the dish! Up to a point, where they take over and everything just tastes kinda funky--and not in a good way.

On the other hand, there is no such thing as too much chocolate truffles! I could eat those until I lapse into a diabetic coma....

Since DS works in an Italian market, they probably are used to seeing them labeled "tartufi".
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I got interested in truffles because there's so darn many of them in Breath of the Wild (and I have yet to find a white one in the world, I end up buying it from a merchant when they do show up).

I'm learning so much in this thread!
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Truffles are incredible... I've only really had them once in my life, in Vegas. They are incredibly expensive though, because even the cultivated ones... well, they're not easy to cultivate, at all.

Comment

The jars of truffle salt we sell will actually leach the odor into the cardboard box. J caught me once with my nose in an empty box and went "OK, I'll give you a pass on this because truffles aren't a controlled substance."

Comment

The most expensive thing I’ve signed for (that I know of) was in the neighborhood of $3 MILLION. I can’t say what it was for security reasons, though.
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  The most expensive thing I’ve signed for (that I know of) was in the neighborhood of $3 MILLION. I can’t say what it was for security reasons, though.
                  Did you ever find out who signed for the offog? And what it is?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We towed a Lamborghini once, at owner request, he was thrilled and tipped big.

We've also towed a Maserati twice, both for wrecks. Once was a minor spin out, the second time.... don't know what he did, but he was a good 40 yards off the road and into a creek. The value of the car was pretty much nil at that point. Maybe he should've paid for some driving lessons too?
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Did you ever find out who signed for the offog? And what it is?
                      Ah, the classics! (Woof!)

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        don't know what he did, but he was a good 40 yards off the road and into a creek.
                        It probably involved booze.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          It probably involved booze.
                          And probably the phrase "Watch this!"
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            And probably the phrase "Watch this!"
                            and along with this phrase be4ing said first "Here hold my beer" then "Watch this".
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

You're all building up to a Darwin Award story.
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X