Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picky, Pedantic, Pathetic people...and more!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently playing Fallout 4. In the Nuka World add-on there is a reference to an application process which has the following instruction:

File the daffodil-colored copy in the Corporate Bin, file the lemon-colored copy in the Local Bin, place the canary-colored copy in the Medical Bin, place the gold-colored copy in the Insurance Bin and present the yellow copy to the applicant. Do NOT place the wrong copy in the wrong bins, or the process will need to be repeated!
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
      Not to mention that British Racing Green was slightly different colors between the years.
      More than "slightly". In the days when the race cars were painted national colors, any shade of green was correct for British cars. I believe that one of the Aston-Martin race cars was even painted a delightful sea-foam green!
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

And if the guy complaining about the 63 cents had a budget that was so tight that 63 cents actually made a difference, he needed help the OP couldn't give him.

Comment

Not to mention that British Racing Green was slightly different colors between the years.
          Most of the "BRG" colors were pretty close. However, it did tend to range from a dark green, all the way to the seafoam green that Aston used. Something like 40-50 different shades under the BRG banner over the years. Annoying as hell if you're trying to replicate a particular car in scale.

Lucas made refrigerators too!
          Lucas also made vacuum cleaners. That was their only product that didn't suck
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
            "Why is my bill SO HIGH?!" <snip> There's a very good reason we ARE NOT suppose to give customers "To the penny" bill
            I never get this question. Their payments are exactly the same, quarter after quarter or month after month. I am glad about that. I do get complaints about late fees, but those are often our fault.

I'm convinced there are only a small percentage of <red checkmark> reps who are competent enough with the English language to string a few sentences together. The following are, in full, actual notes I've seen on accounts over the past month or so:

CUSTOMER CALLED IN (and???)

CUST ASKED ABOUT BILL. BILL GOOD. (Frank, on the other hand, had a very bad day)
            Wow. None of my coworkers are this bad. And I get teased by management, "Are you done writing that novel over there?" I do that because I have to come back to accounts I took calls on and if the notes aren't detailed enough I will have no idea what the customer and I talked about nor what I'm supposed to do on it. Zip, zero, zilch.
            Last edited by EricKei; 11-08-2017, 10:04 PM. Reason: snip
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

There has also been a webcomic with defusing instructions that included "You'll see three wires. Cut the carnelian wire. Do not cut the magenta wire. Whatever you do, don't touch the burgundy."

http://skin-horse.com/comic/todays-comic-157/

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                Wow. None of my coworkers are this bad. And I get teased by management, "Are you done writing that novel over there?" I do that because I have to come back to accounts I took calls on and if the notes aren't detailed enough I will have no idea what the customer and I talked about nor what I'm supposed to do on it. Zip, zero, zilch.
                A lot of the crappy notes come from our offshore centers (shocking, I know). As for your comment about "writing a novel" that is SO me. The notes are pretty much the biggest CYA we have so I will use a lot of detail. For example if a manager or supervisor tells you to do something that's a little outside of the lines with regards to policy, PUT THAT PERSONS NAME IN THE NOTES. If you don't, you are potentially risking a write up for not following policy, regardless of who told you what.

Unlike my coworkers, I take pride in making my notes as UNambigous as possible.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  Unlike my coworkers, I take pride in making my notes as UNambigous as possible.
                  I do this with loan files constantly. If someone waived a fee or made an exception to policy, I want to make sure whoever looks at the file next knows who authorized it. Unfortunately, that's paper. Upper management doesn't want any of that kind of notes on the computer, where it would be much more useful.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Before I retired I'd keep notes on the work I did. If I wasn't able to transcribe a report for whatever reason (no dictation, dictation inaudible, dictation distorted, etc.) My boss was glad when, 9 months after they'd dispensed with our services, a client called her looking for a dictation I'd transcribed. Only I hadn't; I'd made a note next to the job number, "Dictation inaudible. Client notified." I also called up the log sheet of that date, which had the same notation on it. She told me, "I'm so glad you keep good notes."

Comment

My current boss wants only the bare bones of notes, nothing more. Boy, he is going to be SO sorry at some point when this demand of his costs him...

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                        The kind you find in a second hand store?
                        Thanks for the ear-worm, you person of questionable parentage!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          Lucas also made vacuum cleaners. That was their only product that didn't suck
                          Our cats are not pleased. They don't like it when I suddenly start laughing like a loon!

While I did love my Spitfire for many reasons, one of the best things about it was that I could easily push it around to get it out of the way when something in the electrical system sprung a leak and let the magic smoke out.

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          I never get this question. Their payments are exactly the same, quarter after quarter or month after month. I am glad about that. I do get complaints about late fees, but those are often our fault.

I get the opposite question all the time. Why are my benefits so low?!?! While folks in my office are usually very good about documenting things, there is a different site code that almost NEVER documents anything. We all hate working their cases so much that just mentioning their site code in conversation is guaranteed to cause at least 10 minutes of ranting.

Documentation is my best friend. I work 8-10 cases a day. I have to pend about half of them. If my co-worker doesn't understand what is going on in the case by my notes, I probably won't either the next time I pick the case up. That would not be a good thing.

Comment

Our cats are not pleased. They don't like it when I suddenly start laughing like a loon!
                            LOL I was wondering when someone would get that When the MG was still my dad's car, it had to be push-started every so often. He was too cheap to buy new batteries. At least it was a relatively light car. Nothing like pushing that stupid Taurus that came later...

Back on topic, when I leave notes for anyone, I tend to be a bit long-winded. I try to describe exactly what happened, so if I'm away from my desk, someone can easily figure out what to do. It's a holdover from when my office had an idiot on the trading desk. This woman would flip out if anything deviated from my notes--any sort of thing would get her in a panic, and get me called into the boss' office for "triggering" her. Things like popups, color changes, etc. So I'm sure the FAQ that I put together was a bit more detailed than it really had to be.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                            X