Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my favorite is a guy who bought a house in Copperas Cove, Tx and then wrote a letter to the newspaper complaining that there was actually military training going on at Fort Hood and demanded that it be stopped or he would take it to court.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
      Garlic is my favorite perfume. I used to live near a spice plant that apparently made granulated garlic, and on certain days the whole area would reek of garlic.
      Heavenly.
      So I'm not the only one that loves the smell of garlic!
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Titi View Post
        my favorite is a guy who bought a house in Copperas Cove, Tx and then wrote a letter to the newspaper complaining that there was actually military training going on at Fort Hood and demanded that it be stopped or he would take it to court.
        And he thought he'd win?

Him and WHAT army?!
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
          Yeah, I love the people who buy near Reid-Hillview airport because it's actually a semi-affordable place in Silicon Valley--due to the noise from the airport. Then they start complaining about the noise, which was the entire reason they were able to buy the stinking house in the first place!!!!
          Locally, we have the rich losers who are buying $300-500K houses and condos out near Pittsburgh International Airport...and then bitch and moan about the noise. What did you expect? That airport has been there since 1952. Nearly 9 million people used that airport in 2017. Planes take off and land at all hours. How could you miss the 747s flying over the parkway? You want peace and quiet? Move down the river to somewhere like Monessen. Sure, it might have the 'brand appeal' of other areas, but it's very quiet and has no traffic

But seriously, I live near the region's "little" (county) airport. While that is mostly commercial and private planes (including jets up to DC-9 size), it's not nearly as busy. Even so, you get used to the noise. However, there was the occasional asshole in a helicopter who would buzz the neighborhood every night. That went on, until people complained.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've lived in two conspicuously noisy places. One was a nice old apartment that was half a block from a fire station. It took less than a month before I slept through the sirens that went off multiple times per night. The second one was in Orange county, Ca, in a large condo complex that 'sided' up to a train track. It wasn't the trains that were the noise element, we were far enough from them that they were no big deal. But the wall between the tracks and our complex was 12-15 feet tall on our side, and less than 3 on the track side. People would hop train rides and jump off at our complex, and then they would send in helicopters with their lovely search light to try to find those people, and that helicopter would circle overhead, using the PA speaker, for over half an hour sometimes.

We haven't lived in that place since 1994, so my memory is thankfully fading, but I'm pretty sure very few days went without such a search, and I KNOW that no week went by without one, for the entire 5 years we lived there. I'd take the fire station hands down over that condo.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              Yeah, I love the people who buy near Reid-Hillview airport because it's actually a semi-affordable place in Silicon Valley--due to the noise from the airport. Then they start complaining about the noise, which was the entire reason they were able to buy the stinking house in the first place!!!!

I lived in an apartment complex for 12 years that was maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile north of O'Hare airport in Chicago suburb. This complex and a LOT of single family detached houses were built as the airport was expanding. we were directly in line for one of the runways. maybe 20 odd years ago the airport was forced to sound proof all of the local schools.

The worst time was if there was a low cloud base or if it was raining/snowing and boy the sound was LOUD I could watch the TV bounce on the entertainment center.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Locally, we have the rich losers who are buying $300-500K houses and condos out near Pittsburgh International Airport...and then bitch and moan about the noise. What did you expect? That airport has been there since 1952. Nearly 9 million people used that airport in 2017. Planes take off and land at all hours. How could you miss the 747s flying over the parkway? You want peace and quiet? Move down the river to somewhere like Monessen. Sure, it might have the 'brand appeal' of other areas, but it's very quiet and has no traffic
                Hell, I grew up in a neighborhood that was right under the flight plan of a nearby international airport. The deafening roar of jet engines happening every few minutes was just something you learned to deal with - you paused your conversations, or yelled really loud, or turned up the TV all the way so you could hear what was happening. Now that I don't live in a place where that's a regular occurrence, it actually triggers a bit of nostalgia for me when I can hear an airplane flying overhead.

Comment

A friend's father owned a trucking company that was out in the sticks. As most people know, diesel trucks need to be warmed up a long time in winter.
                  A development company bought a parcel of land near the trucking company's HQ, and created a housing development. They told the buyers of all the homes that the trucking company was moving. The company had no such intention, so business continued, and trucks were started early in the morning in the winter. Pretty soon, new homeowners were complaining about the noise and demanding the trucks stay quiet until a decent time in the morning.
                  Eventually it all ended up in court. Homeowners sued the trucking company and through that discovered that the developers were the ones at fault.
                  I know the trucking company won, homeowners had to live with the noise, but I don't know what happened to the developers.
                  I suspect the mushroom farm is another case of buyers assuming or being told that whatever unpleasantness in the vicinity of the land they purchase will magically vanish.
                  Buyer beware.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    The johnny-come-lately who complains about some plant/factory/farm that existed long before they moved there. Yet, they complain despite the fact the thing they were complaining about exist long before they came.

I did a service call in Pickering and the home owner started about the local nuclear plant being so close.

First, I was there to service their computer, I had nothing to do with the local power plant, second with all the ranting and raving it became clear the plant had been operating there years before they move near-by, and second somehow this person thought it made more sense to move a multi-billion dollar plant than his $200-300K house. Self-centered People.
                    One of the smarter things done in the city where I grew up: A no-build zone was put around the flight line of the Air Force base. The base was the largest local employer, and had been in the same location since the 1940s. People moving into the area were constantly complaining about the airplane noise, and no one who already lived there was sympathetic: "Was the base here when you moved here? All right then."

When I was 6 years old we lived across the street from the flight line of Turner Air Force Base in Georgia. We got to where we barely noticed the airplane noise, although one year my birthday was the same day as a visit from the Blue Angels, so my party was punctuated by jet noise. We had a great seat to watch their aerial acrobatics, though.

Comment

In my case, I live about 100 m from the crossing of two active (one of them very active) rail lines. Plus a rail yard attached to a connector from one line to the other, which is in turn adjacent to my property. It ought to be interesting if someone buys it from me, then starts complaining about the noise.

My wife, incidentally, used to live under the approach for the most active runway at Pearson International Airport (that'd be Toronto, ON) so she won't have much sympathy for those sorts either.
                      "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                        In my case, I live about 100 m from the crossing of two active (one of them very active) rail lines. Plus a rail yard attached to a connector from one line to the other, which is in turn adjacent to my property. It ought to be interesting if someone buys it from me, then starts complaining about the noise.

My wife, incidentally, used to live under the approach for the most active runway at Pearson International Airport (that'd be Toronto, ON) so she won't have much sympathy for those sorts either.
                        I used to live in the flight path of the airport, a few km from the port (you'd hear the fog horns on foggy nights) and a km from the train line which would occasionally take steam trains going up the coast. I got used to it

I also used to live around the corner of the night club district and most weekend nights it was the dull thud thud of the base, interspersed with the slow clatter of the bar staff emptying out the glass into their dumpster. I got used to it

Comment

We live Over the River and Through the Woods from OP. This is about complaints. Almost every summer there are wildfires here. Yet sprawling mansions are built up in the sage in coyote country all the time, and all the time they burn. And their tiny dogs are snapped up by coyotes and cougars. And they complain. And complain.

Comment

Working...
                          X