Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

Call me outdated...
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 PM
Cashier

Default Call me outdated...

...well, again, I suppose. Not really all that sucky, and hardly the fault of the actual employee that I was talking to, but this seemed to best fit here. Had a small irrational moment today.

Was at the grocery today, bill came up a little over US$60 - and I didn't have to sign for it. Asked the cashier "I thought the line was fifty?", and his answer was the obvious "yeah, they changed it." I must have had a Look hit me, because he followed up with "most people like it"; to which I just shrugged, collected my bags, and moved on.

In retrospect, it's not even worth being annoyed about. Nobody's actually checked my signature, let alone ID, for a credit card purchase in literally years...

Old 05-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Assistant Manager

At my bookstore, we tell card users "you don't need to sign". We simply do not have occasion to challenge or answer challenges purchases, which AFAIK is what the signature is for.

Then too, the highest price tag I've ever seen in the store was $400 (IIRC that was for a signed set of Kipling's complete works), and a $200 dollar sale is . If somebody did try to jerk us around like that, we'd just ban their ass.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Tech Support Monkey

Pretty much every major card issuer has made signatures completely optional, regardless of the purchase amount, for all transactions. It is costly for retailers to store and send them, they don't really fight fraud all that well, and there are other means (such as entering a pin) at the point of purchase that make requiring a signature obsolete anymore.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Hi, Outdated!!!