Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Car Snatcher

Quote:
Quoth wordgirl View Post
Labs weren't as fun as the ones Prof. Rockstar ran but she was interesting and thorough. She just had some kind of major chip on her shoulder.
That is the WORST kind of teacher, chips belong in brightly colored bags on store shelves, not the shoulders of your would-be mentors.

Uh, oh, that joke was too well written, guess I'm a plagiarist.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:43 AM
Escapee

Quote:
Quoth Argabarga View Post
That is the WORST kind of teacher, chips belong in brightly colored bags on store shelves, not the shoulders of your would-be mentors.

Arga, anybody who questions your ability to write the shit out of something has NOT been paying attention

Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 AM
Till/horse trainer/instructor

Quote:
Quoth Argabarga View Post

I know what you mean, my old history teacher (who was also my English teacher) was a complete bitch... and racist too. Needless to say as an English teacher she should have chosen her words more carefully before bitching me out about essays asking for my opinion on certain subjects gone over in class and accepted that yes, I can in fact use words bigger then three syllables. Doing so does not mean I'm plagiarizing from someone. It got bad enough that in an 'advanced' class I had to have my friend's little sister (12yrs old) proofread my essays and assignments to be certain they were dumbed down enough for the teacher to comprehend.

Incidentally, I only had to put up with her for a year and a bit before I promptly got kicked out of class for disproving her opinion that 'nobody except the Brits contributed to history in any meaningful way'. Her words, verbatim. Needless to say when you're in a class where only two of your classmates aside from yourself were actually born in Canada, it tends to rile everyone up.

I merely took The Art of War's lessons to heart (a book a previous teacher had given me. Probably not the best idea given that I was a highly intelligent student trapped in a classroom and bored out of my mind. My city doesn't allow for skipping grades even when you prove you're functioning 5 grades ahead by taking their finals and passing with better marks then the grade 12 students). Besides, what the school calls starting a riot I call taking a hands on approach to studying history. It's not my fault I was told to "do something constructive with my authority issues".

Constructive: root word, construct. Def, to build or create.

You would think as an English teacher she would know that.

So my fellow pissed off classmates built a Viking warship because we could. We did it all by hand (white oak is the asshole of trees) on account of not wanting to be discovered and not being able to afford power tools anyway.

Although raiding the teacher's end of year beach party was perhaps a bit unnecessary. But in our defense it was sorta for historical accuracy?

I and several others I know) used the experience when writing my History thesis years later. Even then, we had to recontact the Swedish company who had guided us through the construction and bring the video of our escapades in craftsmanship to prove we did in fact build it ourselves and yes we do in fact know what we're talking about and no we didn't just buy a ship off Craigslist and claim we built it.

The problem as I see it is schools are so focused on getting high scores for their students that they keep dumbing the courses down until an ape could do then and then claiming the teachers did real good at their jobs because everyone got high marks. Then, when someone goes above the basic supposed level of the course and shows they actually have more then two brain cells to rub together they are accused of cheating or plagiarism all because they're exceeding the reasonable expectations of their fellow classmates.

Oh and the stupid 'we can't move someone up a grade' attitude is just as bad as the 'we can't hold a student back, let's just pass them through anyway.' I graduated with people who could barely read and write not because of learning problems or a disability but because rather then forcing a student to take their studies seriously lest they get held back a year while their friends move on, they are taught that if they show up to class and occasionally write something they'll be pushed through anyway. The stupid attitude of 'we can't hold them back it will hurt their feelings' needs to stop. Does the school board really think the real world will give a damn about their feelings when the students have graduated? And the flip side which I got of the 'we can't move them ahead of their classmates. It'll make their classmates feel bad about themselves...and it'll stunt your social growth.' First of all, all the school is doing by that attitude is saying my intelligence and hard work mean nothing because even if they do acknowledge it they won't do anything about it, so why the hell put the effort in when I can get the same mark and be trapped in the same class with the same students for half the effort? Congrats you just gave me my first lesson on being lazy and not trying to hard because nobody actually cares. Great job teaching school! As for not stunting my social growth? I couldn't hold a conversation with my fellow classmates until high school because they weren't intellectually there yet. I would have to repeat the same sentence three or four times dumbing it down each time until I eventually stumbled upon my classmates limited vocabulary. How exactly is that not holding back my social growth? Congrats, I'm now the kid with no friends because the only people I can communicate with on an intellectual level are the teachers and the librarian.

I get that plagiarism is a big deal and all. Nobody wants their hard work stolen. But in a world of easily shared information and a huge amount of people living on this planet, do you really think that nobody has ever had a similar idea as you at some point? And consciously or unconsciously we all assimilate new information everyday. Which means our understanding and grasp of the world around us is constantly changing moment by moment. It's not hard to imagine that someone might see an article online, delve into it and come to conclusions based on numerous sources that lead to new information or a new perspective on that same information. It's how we evolve as a society. Look at what they did, see what works what doesn't and what can be improved on, then move forward from there. Is it so hard to believe that two people might come to similar conclusions without ever having heard of each other based on the wide variety of easily accessible information in this Age of Technology? When there's such a huge population?

Just saying maybe the teachers can give the students a little bit of credit? Most university/college students don't get where they are by being stupid. Ever thought of maybe sitting down and having a rational conversation instead of running shit through a computer, finding similarities, and assuming that they are purposefully copying another's work just out of laziness?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Darwin and Murphy are my gods.

Quote:
Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
Besides, what the school calls starting a riot I call taking a hands on approach to studying history. It's not my fault I was told to "do something constructive with my authority issues".
So, that's too long to add to my sig block here, but it's definitely going into my quotefile.
Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Old Yesterday, 02:32 AM
Till/horse trainer/instructor

Quote:
Quoth Deserted View Post
So, that's too long to add to my sig block here, but it's definitely going into my quotefile.
Glad to know I'm not the only one with a quote file. Glad to help.

I think my top 3 currently are:

"Do things that make you happy within the confines of the legal system."

"These days everything is about efficiency. Look at Apple, all their products can connect to each other like a giant electronic orgy."

"A student said to his master: 'You teach me fighting but you talk of peace. How do you reconcile the two?' The master replied: 'It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.'"

I've also been said I have a mildly disturbing sense of humour.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM
Bookkeeper

I have a "forum memorable lines" file myself. This forum is by far the biggest contributor.

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
Darwin and Murphy are my gods.

I've been collecting quotations for a couple decades now. Currently have 16,050 quotes in a 1.2mb text file. Many years ago I started splitting the quotes into separate files (currently 745 files in 34 subdirectories) and wrote:
  • a script to combine them into the "master" quotefile
  • a program to automatically sort the files for me
  • a program to hunt down duplicate quotes
  • a program to pop up a random quote on demand (ETA: I started work to let this grab a random quote from Wikiquote but lost interest.)

Quotes from here are stored in "Quotes\websites\Customers-Suck". When I first started visiting here, everything I grabbed went into one big "Customers-Suck.txt" file; more recently I've been splitting that into individual files by poster. (Argabarga's is the largest, but Gerrinson has the most quotes, 12. Several from The Chronicles of Cranky Bungler. )

The only problem is, there are many quotes I saved from before the big hack (before I joined as a posting member) where the posts are no longer available anywhere, so I will never be able to properly attribute them. (Seriously, I've looked.)

YEs, I enjoy this kind of nonsense, thank you.
Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester