Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I made Maint Man cry (happy tears)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I made Maint Man cry (happy tears)

First, a bit of background.

So, the way our driveway and parking lot is arranged, it makes a one-way loop around the motel. There really isn't room for two cars to pass each other.

Of course, that doesn't stop plenty of people from speeding the wrong way around the motel. I swear, almost half our guests do it. The police even do it!

We have large arrows painted every 30 feet or so, that clearly mark the route, but everyone ignores it. I kid you not, once I got a guest survey response saying we needed clearer arrows in our parking lot. I double-checked the dates, and this guest had checked in literally the day after Maint Man finished repainting the arrows. They were bright and fresh! They couldn't be more clear!

A few years back, our parking lot was completely redone. I told Former Boss Lady we needed to install spike strips. I mean, when there are spike strips, people pay attention to the flow of traffic, or suffer expensive results! She said no, the company wouldn't take on that liability. I told her with the proper signage we wouldn't be liable...it works for many of the gated communities around here and for the Duty Free. She still said no; Corporate wouldn't approve. Le sigh.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, when Other MOD almost into a head-on with a wrong-way driver. She said we should get "One Way" and "Wrong Way" signs. Well, it's not spike strips, but whatever. I guess we'll try it Other MOD's way.

(As it turns out, it is really hard to find those specific signs in this town. I can get "No Parking" and "Reserved Parking" and "Do Not Enter" signs at any time, but not "One Way" or "Wrong Way". You have get them made-to-order from a specialty shop. They weren't cheap, either.)

So, I picked up the signs, and brought them back, and Maint Man was....so happy!

Maint Man: "I have been trying for so long to get someone to get signs. I keep telling them we need signs, but no one listens! I told [Former GM1] and [Former GM 2] and [Former GM 3] and [Former Boss Lady] and [Former Boss Man] and none of them would give me signs! But now you give me signs!"
    (Maint Man has been here a while...)

Later, he grabbed me. He had one of the signs mounted, and was showing me where he wanted to put it and describing where to put the others. He was like a kid on Christmas morning!

I've never seen someone get so excited over traffic signs!

(I still want my spike strips, though.)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hee, that's cute!

But now, how many people will complain "Well, I couldn't SEE the signs!"
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I hope no one steals his signs, that would really suck.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
        Maint Man: "I have been trying for so long to get someone to get signs. I keep telling them we need signs, but no one listens! I told [Former GM1] and [Former GM 2] and [Former GM 3] and [Former Boss Lady] and [Former Boss Man] and none of them would give me signs! But now you give me signs!"
        Am I the only one thinking of the line 'Master has given Dobby... a sock.....' ?
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
          Am I the only one thinking of the line 'Master has given Dobby... a sock.....' ?
          Exactly my thoughts!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
            up the scenery, breakin' my mind
            Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post

SC
              Is it bad that I know every word to that song and may have in fact sung it at karaoke at some point in the distant past? Because I was so going to post that but you got up at some unholy pre-dawn hour and beat me to it.
              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Ah yes, corporate will complain that the signs are too negative, customers will complain that the signs are too hard to understand.

The good news is that your insurance agent will love you for trying.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                  but you got up at some unholy pre-dawn hour and beat me to it.
                  I work the night audit (12AM-8AM) at a hotel, and I have a laptop.

SC
                  "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                    (I still want my spike strips, though.)
                    I desperately wanted these at my gas stations.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                      Is it bad that I know every word to that song and may have in fact sung it at karaoke at some point in the distant past?
                      I wrote a Black Friday parody of it.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                      X