Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been thinking long and hard on this.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been thinking long and hard on this.

I'm going to get a whole bunch of new types of SC in a few years. After careful thought, talking to friends and family, and with their support I'm going back to school. I'm going to get 90 credits, (with at least Spanish, I'm not sure the other classes yet) to become a Police offier for Portland Police. It wasn't an easy decision, but I really want too. I think I'd be a good one, (Not the ones you hear about every other day if you live in Oregon XD). It was Plaid Pantry that made me want to, after serving a few police and hearing their stories. They've all been good to me, they belive in the same stuff I do, and they protect people! I think I can do it, and I'm going to got college for it.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Way to go, Plaidman!! Good luck with college and don't forget about all of us (well, unless you see one of us speeding, then totally forget!!). Let us know how everything is going - bet you'll have some pretty good (as in "bad") SC stories in a while!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Awesome! What kind of courses do you have to take to become a police officer?

Comment

Congratulations and good luck. I'll tell you it takes a special person to be a good cop and not succumb. Hope you do good.

Comment

Thats great! Good luck and stick with it
          "don't go to the neighbors,that's just what the fire expects you to do"-phillippbo
          "Please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball."
          Support bacteria.They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

Way to go, there is always a need for new officers. I know around here there are a few ways to do it. We have (I'm in Ventura County California, yours is probably at least a little different) 3 levels of law enforcement, California Highway Patroll (CHP) they are state level, Sheriffs - they are county levels and patrol unincorporated areas of the county, or cities that do not have their own Police and have a contract with the sheriffs, and the local Police Department (PD), different for each city.

I have a couple of clients who are former cops, 1 was a detective, and 1 worked his way up to detective and was on the swat team. They loved what they did. They retired young, one was about 45-50 and the other was around 40 or so. The younger one had to retire due a indiscretion that was neither proven or disproven but it was smarter to bow out when he did.

They are both Private Investigators now and their PD experience has really helped them out.

I know that here you can apply to the (sheriffs) acadamy and once you pass you're first duty assignment is at the local jail (pretty big jail actually) until you advance from there. I'm not sure about CHP or PD though. I do know though that they are always desperate for new officers.

Congratulations on a choice of doing something so noble. I'm sure you'll make a great officer, and Dammnit we will want stories as it progresses.
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Thanks for the support people, and I will keep you guys updated. I'm not sure what classes I need, my sister would know better, and in a few days I'm going down to a police building to ask of them which classes would help the most. I'll work from there.
              Military Spouse Support.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I'm late saying my piece..

But, Plaidy, Go FOR IT!!!!!

I'm proud of you.

For figuring out exactly what you want to do.
                For having the chutzpah to go and do it.

Now, Study your buns off and good luck!

I live a few hours away from Portland, and I'll be checking the papers to see when you graduate.

Cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Good for you! Hubby tried to get into the PPD and several other police forces in surrounding counties and cities, but he was turned down He got a better job though.
                  A lot of applicants had bachelor's already, I don't know if that's a requirement or not. I do know that you have to run an average-speed mile and be able to do something on the order of 30 situps in a minute or something like that.
                  If nothing else, you can always join up with any of the county or surrounding city PD's, and OSP is always lookin' for people.

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck
                    No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Working...
                    X