Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with data recovery?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lordlundar View Post
    Not necessarily It could be that the MBR wound up corrupted. In that case the files are still there and intact but the system doesn't know it. Running a data recovery program will work (with mixed results admittedly) but it's not just a jump from "working relatively fine" to "clean room required."
    If it's just the bootloader that's screwed up, you could always use the recovery disc and use bootrec /rebuildbcd.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
      That's I got tired of constantly having to unscrew things, so the panel just slides in.
      I have an external USB drive enclosure for that purpose, so I wouldn't have to open up my case. The one I have is pretty nice. It has both IDE and SATA connectors. I think IDE is pretty much dead anyway. Last time I looked around on Newegg, they had only a handful of IDE hard drives, and no optical IDE drives at all.

I bought the enclosure after I got a call from a friend asking if I could recover data from a flood-damaged computer. About a year and a half or so ago, the Harrisburg area got hit with heavy rain, and a lot of the area ended up underwater. Her boyfriend's shop got flooded pretty badly, and her computer was in it when it happened. I told her I'd give it a try, but I couldn't promise anything. There was no way in hell I was going to put that drive inside my case, so I went with the enclosure. By some miracle, the drive worked, although there were a few corrupted files. Then again, they may have been that way before the flood.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
      X