Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Which the Window(s) to Problem Clients Reopen(s) (a rant, some language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Which the Window(s) to Problem Clients Reopen(s) (a rant, some language)

If you haven't had any problem clients for a while and catch yourself thinking you might be out of that stage, think again!

Background: Client completely destroys his laptop computer, both hardware- and software-wise. We were talking back-and-forth about what he needed in a laptop should he buy one, but someone decides to give him one as a gift. He brings it to me to do a full rebuild and upgrade on the system. End background.

Client calls me last night around 5 PM wanting me to start the rebuild right that very minute. I don't usually work on weekends unless it's an emergency, but I figure I'd go ahead and take in the computer to see what kind of work I could get done while I had some downtime.

By 6, he rolls in with the laptop. I notice it's a system that's about three years older than the other laptop (which I have to spend time convincing him that November 2011 is, in fact, three years after October 2008), so I tell him it will probably take a little longer to rebuild the system due to the age of the hardware and the specs of the machine. Client says that's fine and starts to leave.

On the way out, I notice he hasn't put the parts in the bag he wants me to use to upgrade the system. Client says he'll go home and get the parts. He returns with the parts around 7:30 and then leaves.

After he's gone, I begin installing Windows. That takes around an hour, so it's roughly 8:30-8:45 at this point. Windows has to install several hundred updates, so that in itself takes 2-4 hours. By this point, it's after midnight, and I decide to turn in to go to sleep and let the computer do its thing overnight. I haven't even gotten into the file transfers, installing software the client wanted, and making this computer a clone of the old one.

I mention timing because it's pretty important in this case. Keep in mind that I've only put around three of the quoted 72 hours of work into this computer. If you've just remembered what site you're on, you know what's next.

I woke up this morning and checked my email. The client had sent me an email literally every hour asking me if I had his computer finished yet. If that wasn't enough, I was greeted with no less than eight voicemails from the client on the subject. The client said he really, really wanted his computer back.

Naturally, this pissed me off. The work was nowhere near done. I called the client to explain that he'd agreed to the quoted time, yet he was absolutely fucking persistent about getting his computer back two days ago. Fine, I thought, he can run Windows Update and install all his software by himself. I just wanted the pestering to be over.

We agreed to meet up in the parking lot of a store (which is about 15 minutes from here driving at a safe speed). No more than three minutes after I pulled out of my driveway, the client called and asked me if I was at the store yet. I assured him when I told him five minutes earlier in our previous call that I was on my way that I really meant it.

When I finally got to the store around 6 this afternoon and gave him back his computer, he refused to pay me. Yep, that's right, all this pestering and bullshit, and he didn't even pay me for the job. I told the client to never call me again.

But it gets worse...

It's currently around 9 right now. The client has called me not two, not three, but FOUR times in the last three hours complaining about things I didn't get done that I would've been able to do had they given me the time to do the work. Each time they've called, I've told them off. They keep calling. The most recent call was to accuse me of planting viruses in their Windows installation because George's Wonder Toolbar said so.

If you think it stops getting worse there, consider this: client has a degree in information technology. You read that right. This client just went to school and spent over $75,000 to graduate with a degree in IT, yet he can't go three hours without infecting his machine. I don't even have a degree, and I know not to click on everything that moves.

I love the majority of my clients, but when I get a Luser client, I really strike gold. In my many years of doing technology work on the side, this is, without a doubt, the worst ex-client I've ever had.

I.... would have turned around and left. With the laptop. You agreed to pay $x for the work. Pay it or the hardware is held as collateral.

Ah well, at this point, maybe it's worthwhile to tell the Luser to stop calling you before you file a harassment claim with the police?

Comment

Tell the ex-client that if he calls you again you'll report him to the police for harassment. Alternately, block his number on your phone and his email on your computer. Third option, record his ranting for amusement value and share any really funny bits.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

He didn't pay you so he has no right to keep calling. At this point I would tell him that if he wants you to fix it he needs to pay what he said he would in the first place. We all know he wont so that gives you the excuse to fire him as a client. Yeah you're out a couple hours of your time, but isn't that worth it to get rid of him?

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
          I.... would have turned around and left. With the laptop. You agreed to pay $x for the work. Pay it or the hardware is held as collateral.
          Had I held his computer, he would've called me every hour wanting it back. This thought was running through my mind as I stood in the parking lot in front of the guy. The preferable solution was to hand it back to him and be rid of him.

Quoth Kittish View Post
          Alternately, block his number on your phone and his email on your computer.
          I only got around to doing both late last night, but at least I did it. Knowing my luck, this client will start calling me from other phones.

Quoth Arcus View Post
          He didn't pay you so he has no right to keep calling. At this point I would tell him that if he wants you to fix it he needs to pay what he said he would in the first place. We all know he wont so that gives you the excuse to fire him as a client. Yeah you're out a couple hours of your time, but isn't that worth it to get rid of him?
          That was a part of the multiple times I just broke down and told the guy what was on my mind. If someone rushes me through a job, I let them know it's their fault I wasn't able to get things done. If they call just to rant about what I didn't get done after agreeing on those terms, I have absolutely no mercy on the client. That's when I tell them I'm unable to meet their unreasonable expectations and they should probably take their business elsewhere. (And if they think other techs will deal with the client being unreasonable, they're in for a surprise. From what I've been told, not even the Squad of Geeks will deal with people like that.)

Comment

Write up a simple contract. State you will have the computer ready no sooner than X time, and any contact with you, other than contact you request, will result in a Y$ upcharge. There is no discount if it is ready earlier. If the client reclaims the computer before the work is done, there is a Z$ charge.

That way, at the very least you'd have something you could take to court if it gets bad enough.

Comment

Working...
            X