X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't you know better?!?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...eath/70381282/

A family goes to Publix and the son, who has a severe nut allergy, asks for a cookie at the bakery counter. Mom takes a bite, says it's okay, and gives it to him. The story says she carried an epi pen with her but if your kid has such a severe allergy that he DIED, and he's 11 so you should KNOW how bad his allergy is, why did you trust anything there to be nut-free (especially cookies)? They obviously don't cater specifically to people with food allergies.

I wouldn't want to trust anything there unless I knew the people working there personally. Nut pieces can get into anything in a kitchen. And by the way, lady, just because you don't taste an ingredient doesn't mean it isn't in there. I hope you learn something from this.

It's a tragic story, yeah, but suing a store for your negligence is just stupid.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

If it's anything like UK stores they'll have had a nice priminent sign sign saying that the cookies are not prepared in a nut free environment and may contain nut traces.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

In the article, the family says that a bakery employee told them the cookie didn't have tree nut allergens. I call BS on that - due to the potential of cross-contamination, unless the store set up its bakery as a nut-free facility (unlikely - walnuts on brownies, and pecans in butter tarts, are common) the employees would respond to a direct question with "All of our products may have come into contact with nuts".
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My question here is how long did they wait after giving the boy the epi shot before taking him to the hospital? One of the things that was stressed when I was taught how to use one is not rely on the epi pen to reverse the reaction, that it was only meant to buy a bit more time to get allergy sufferer to the ER to be properly treated.

Comment

Did the employee actually work in the bakery? Sometimes I have to go back there to get something (for some reason the boxes of sale fliers and extra shirts are in the bakery back room) and get asked bakery questions. My standard response to allergen questions for samples is "I don't know, but here's the ingredient list." (everything has a warning 'may contain traces of nuts')

The mom is dumb. You don't use the taste test with a kid with allergies. I agree there's a bit more to the story here.

Our in-house bakery doesn't make guaranteed nut-free items that I know of; any nut-free stuff we do have comes in prepackaged.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

As a parent of a child with peanut and tree nut allergies, this sort of thing pisses me off. If your child is sensitive enough that you have an EPI pen for them, you don't take chances. Does that bakery sell donuts covered in nuts in the morning or do other cookies sold contain nuts? If yes, then there is almost assuredly some form of cross contamination. I've spent time working in a bakery, was most of the way through an associates in baking before life made me take a different path. If I were ever to get back into that biz, we would be 100% nut free.

Also, the EPI pen is not treatment in and of itself, it is a stopgap measure to give you time to GET THEM TO A HOSPITAL.

To tangent a little bit about allergies, one that's pissing me off is my son's allergy to soy proteins(thankfully not severe, just turns him into the mucus monster). The amount of stuff that has soy in it is boggling. Only one brand of pizza in the entire WM freezer aisle is soy free, for example.

Then there's the "fun" about non-protein soy products. Haven't found a soybean oil containing item that sets him off, but soy lecithin as an ingredient is a crapshoot. Some mfg's of soy lecithin distribute a clean product, but some of the soy lecithin contains trace amounts of soy proteins. As such, we have to test out anything new containing SL as an emulsifier.

Comment

Taste test?? She just took a bite and declared it nut-free??

That. Is. Incredibly. Stupid.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have no words.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Taste test?? She just took a bite and declared it nut-free??
                  What I'd like to know is how that kid survived exposure to his mother for so long, despite his nut allergy.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Can anyone here think of ANY large grocery store or chain that doesn't have nuts in it? I certainly can't. Every one that I've ever been in has peanut butter, bagged nuts and all sorts of items with nuts in them; some even have loose nuts in bins. My guess is the employee either told her he didn't know and she's lying or the cookie itself may not have had nuts but was cross-contaminated.

If Mom had even looked around a bit she would have seen nuts everywhere. And a supermarket kitchen would almost certainly have cross-contamination due to the sheer volume of items being made and the fact that things are too busy to clean often enough to avoid cross-contamination. And items sitting around get dust on them, said dust includes nut dust.

I too call BS on this, I see someone looking for a payday...

Comment

There were some really dumb comments on that story, too. Did you see the one where the person basically said it was stupid to suggest that someone might have to prepare all their own food in order to avoid allergens? What the f*ck do they think people with severe allergies usually do?
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Mooncat, I was sorely tempted to respond to that comment. Why, yes, a person with severe allergies does, in fact, have to prepare most, if not all of their food from scratch. There are very few packaged foods I can eat due to the risk of cross contamination.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

My cousin's two daughters have severe allergies. My cousin has to prepare all of their food. One's allergy to peanuts is so bad, if you have any peanut residue on your hands and then touched her, she would have a life threatening reaction.

She would be appalled that a mother would do that.
                          This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I was looking around online for updates and while I couldn't find any, I DID find this story, with a picture of the kid: http://www.wkrg.com/story/28613946/b...ie-parents-sue

*MOD EDIT - Removed insensitive comment.
                            Last edited by Ree; 04-11-2015, 12:14 PM.
                            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Working...
                            X