This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel list, do i have everything?

not sure this qualifies for life help as its just making sure i have everything. i ask here because knowing me i will have forgotten.

that and asking for advice for myself on how to keep calm so i can keep my 2 yr old calm should she freak out as this will be her first flight.

I anticipate her to freak out just going to the airport, walking in the terminal or as i call it the long hallway to the airplane, freak out on the plane before takeoff, during, in flight and landing.

i went so far as to get her an id, picture id that has everything but her blood type on it thanks to the local police office. and a copy of her birth certificate.
    diaper bag packed, diapers, change of clothes, toys for entertainment, all her meds, travel size rash cream, wipes and so on.
    plan on giving her baby chewable tylenol to help her calm down and sleep if needed to.
    gummies for snacks and to chew on since she cannot have gum. and finally an empty sippy cup since i cannot have water in it but can have it filled in flight.
    a book to keep me occupied IF i have time. it is just a 2 hr flight.

i have made sure there are no nail clippers or scissors of any kind in my suitcase, all clothes and plus toys and blankets and toiletries. toiletries in a zip lock back for convenience. no razor blades cause i am not chancing it.

have i forgotten anything? can you tell i haven't flown in forever

also getting to the airport an hour before take off, JUST to deal with security as i anticipate they will check my suitcase and diaper bag and make us both take our shoes off

Comment

When you're approaching the Security Area, look whether there's a Family Security Line. It's designated for travellers with small children and makes the waiting time shorter. Most airports do have such a line.

Also, consider bringing some kind of ear protection (ear plugs or headphones) so the littlun won't be scared by the loud noises a plane makes during take-off and landing.

I had no problems taking my then 2-y/o Lil'Zel on a plane when I took these measures (and since he has Autism he easily freaks out at unexperienced stuff!). He only made a fuzz when we had to land on the way home, and that was due to the cabin pressure + the fact that we had lost his earplugs.
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Depending on how large your town is, I'd plan on more than an hour. Are you bringing a car seat or stroller? You can gate check those if you are, so they aren't tossed in like regular luggage. If she has a favorite blanket or stuffed animal, bring that. You are allowed to bring juice in a cup through security, but only for your child. Here's the official FAA site on flying with kids.

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

and TSA's

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
          Depending on how large your town is, I'd plan on more than an hour.
          Remember, the time listed is the departure time, not the boarding time. Boarding usually starts at least half an hour before takeoff. I like to get there an hour and a half before departure, and, IIRC, two hours is the recommended time.

Am I correct in thinking the gummies are for her to chew on when the pressure changes? If not, you want to make sure to give her some a bit after take off, and when you start the descent. If she's at all snotty and you have a decongestant you feel comfortable giving her, do it. I once flew with a head cold, and I though my sinuses were going to rupture. Now I make sure to take decongestants before every flight.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Gum is good to have for chewing for the whole ear thing.

Also, whenever I fly, I make sure I have my ID and tickets in the easiest to reach/access part of my backpack, so I can hand them to whomever I need to hand them to when I need to hand them to them. Also, I make a point of having all change, my cellphone, etc. in my backpack, as they are going to ask you to empty your pocket anyways. Might as well do as much of that ahead of time as possible.

One other thing...you said you have your toiletries in a ziplock bag....remember that any liquid toiletries over a certain size are prohibited in carry-on luggage, but are perfectly fine in checked luggage. So if you are not checking your bag, make sure the toiletries do not exceed the allowable limits.

Since I have no children and have never flown with a 2 year old (well, not intentionally, but a lot of them keep ending up on my flights), I really have nothing else to offer. Just make sure that YOU are not so frazzled trying to take care of her and her needs that you lose focus on getting through the trip.

Good luck! And have fun!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Since she is too young for gum, you might want to get a bag of suckers. In my family we have found the small ones clear their ears better taking a bottle or sucking candy rather than chewing.

We have also found for those that tend towards sinus problems a decongestant started an hour or two before take off and continued at the recommended intervals till after landing help prevent problems. but ONLY if you have given it to the child before. Kids can have atypical reactions that are very negative for a flight. Example there are several people in my family that react to benadryl like it was speed instead of a sedative. I tried to fly off a 3rd floor balcony after being given both benadryl and epi for an allergic reaction. Epi usually knocks me out for 12 - 18 hours.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                When you're approaching the Security Area, look whether there's a Family Security Line. It's designated for travellers with small children and makes the waiting time shorter. Most airports do have such a line.

Also, consider bringing some kind of ear protection (ear plugs or headphones) so the littlun won't be scared by the loud noises a plane makes during take-off and landing.

I had no problems taking my then 2-y/o Lil'Zel on a plane when I took these measures (and since he has Autism he easily freaks out at unexperienced stuff!). He only made a fuzz when we had to land on the way home, and that was due to the cabin pressure + the fact that we had lost his earplugs.
                Will do, this is good to know thank you Zel. no earplugs, she doesn't like it when i try to clean out her ears so sticking something in them will make her frantic. she HATES it when her pediatrician tries to examine her ears so yeah. otherwise earplugs would be on the list

Quoth 24601 View Post
                Depending on how large your town is, I'd plan on more than an hour. Are you bringing a car seat or stroller? You can gate check those if you are, so they aren't tossed in like regular luggage. If she has a favorite blanket or stuffed animal, bring that. You are allowed to bring juice in a cup through security, but only for your child.
                our town is small, thus any plans flying out are the "puddle jumpers" or as the ticket says plane type ER4
                This kind
                not bringing a carseat as my mom bought one for us and i DID worry about needing one for the plane however...too late now? good idea for blanket and toy. packing one of her favorite toys, will bring her blanket. and YES i am going to get flack for it but until i can seriously break her off it, her binky for comfort. ( she still needs it to sleep but thats it) wasn't sure about the juice but was going to feed her before leaving too. hope barf bags are still offered. oh well LOL

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                Remember, the time listed is the departure time, not the boarding time. Boarding usually starts at least half an hour before takeoff. I like to get there an hour and a half before departure, and, IIRC, two hours is the recommended time.

Am I correct in thinking the gummies are for her to chew on when the pressure changes? If not, you want to make sure to give her some a bit after take off, and when you start the descent. If she's at all snotty and you have a decongestant you feel comfortable giving her, do it. I once flew with a head cold, and I though my sinuses were going to rupture. Now I make sure to take decongestants before every flight.
                oh i remember! thats why i am getting to the airport at 11am. its a small airport
                My airport, yes thats the terminal thing/building. two years old rebuilt

yes the gummies are for her to chew and also a snack. BUT i have a sucker packed just in case as well as a mini coloring book and small baby puzzle (four pieces) for her. i have her meds with me, for tylenol and epi pen in case she has a reaction as she is still allergic to milk. her decongestant is for a cold so...no? (it knocks her out longer than she should be)

Quoth Jester View Post
                Gum is good to have for chewing for the whole ear thing.

Also, whenever I fly, I make sure I have my ID and tickets in the easiest to reach/access part of my backpack, so I can hand them to whomever I need to hand them to when I need to hand them to them. Also, I make a point of having all change, my cellphone, etc. in my backpack, as they are going to ask you to empty your pocket anyways. Might as well do as much of that ahead of time as possible.

One other thing...you said you have your toiletries in a ziplock bag....remember that any liquid toiletries over a certain size are prohibited in carry-on luggage, but are perfectly fine in checked luggage. So if you are not checking your bag, make sure the toiletries do not exceed the allowable limits.

Since I have no children and have never flown with a 2 year old (well, not intentionally, but a lot of them keep ending up on my flights), I really have nothing else to offer. Just make sure that YOU are not so frazzled trying to take care of her and her needs that you lose focus on getting through the trip.

Good luck! And have fun!
                I will have my wallet and keys and other stuff needed in my diaper bag as there are alot of things in my purse i won't need. my id and hers and birth certificate copy are in my wallet ready to show. all her diaper rash stuff and meds are in small ziplock bags and the toiletries for my trip are packed in the suitcase going in luggage. i will be medicated (my meds) so i will be all right and functional but as of late its just....my fears plauging me and the whole mother's worry, this could happen or this, or that and omg aaaaa!
                she will cry i am ready for that but its the whole i am going to do my best to comfort her. thank you

Quoth kaherbert View Post
                Since she is too young for gum, you might want to get a bag of suckers. In my family we have found the small ones clear their ears better taking a bottle or sucking candy rather than chewing.

We have also found for those that tend towards sinus problems a decongestant started an hour or two before take off and continued at the recommended intervals till after landing help prevent problems. but ONLY if you have given it to the child before. Kids can have atypical reactions that are very negative for a flight. Example there are several people in my family that react to benadryl like it was speed instead of a sedative. I tried to fly off a 3rd floor balcony after being given both benadryl and epi for an allergic reaction. Epi usually knocks me out for 12 - 18 hours.

again, gummies and small chewable sucker (one of the candy made ones you can eat or chew on) she has no sinus issues yet but i have that medicine ready to go if needed as a last resort. sigh. don't like "drugging" her so to speak but its there. so far no odd reactions of hyper instead of. that was me as a kid though hehe

thank you ALL for the advice and help. I apologize for posting yesterday and today as its christmas. but it until now i was able to keep the fear at bay. not so much now.

off to get ready for grandmas on hubs side of the family. yaaay!

Comment

Quoth Midnight12 View Post
                  I apologize for posting yesterday and today as its christmas.
                  Don't worry about it. We're all here voluntarily, if we didn't want to read your thread, or give you advice, we wouldn't. Simple as that.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

You do not need a car seat to fly, but you will have to hold her on your lap. Embraer's are nice plane, but puddle jumpers have to have props...LOL If you need help, just ask at the gate and they should be able to get someone to help you. Beyond that I can't help much, I dealt with only private planes when I worked at the airport. Have fun though

Comment

she may be only 2 years but she is growing up fast and is almost three feet tall. 36 inches the dr said. yes my math is off meh
                      so, sadly she is too big to sit in my lap for an hour, kind of has to have her own seat. and fair enough Arctic Chicken heh

Comment

Quoth Midnight12 View Post
                        she may be only 2 years but she is growing up fast and is almost three feet tall. 36 inches the dr said. yes my math is off meh
                        so, sadly she is too big to sit in my lap for an hour, kind of has to have her own seat. and fair enough Arctic Chicken heh
                        IIRC, you still will have to have her on your lap during take-off and landing since she's under 3 years old. But ask one of the attendants when boarding, if it's the case they'll provide you with a special clip-on belt you can use.
                        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

If she is in her own seat she needs a child restraint. If she is not sitting on your lap, you may have to pay for her own seat unless they have space and are nice to let you use one for free.
                          Last edited by kpzra; 12-26-2011, 12:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                            IIRC, you still will have to have her on your lap during take-off and landing since she's under 3 years old. But ask one of the attendants when boarding, if it's the case they'll provide you with a special clip-on belt you can use.
                            Quoth 24601 View Post
                            If she is in her own seat she needs a child restraint. If she is not sitting on your lap, you may have to pay for her own seat unless they have space and are nice to let you use one for free.
                            her own seat IS paid for. didn't know i would need a child restraint and I will ask for one thank you!
                            yes i had her seat paid for and everything so...yeah. otherwise i can sit her on my lap but she is big enough that if she starts wiggling and fussing and fighting she can and will hurt me and kick the other seat in front of her and I'd like to keep that to a minimum. or she will cling to me scared so we shall see.

thank you again. packing tonight because i had to wait for hubs to get up so i could pack cause i'm not supposed to wake him even though he got up early anyways

Comment

Oh- wow totally not what i expected

Trip went well, first flight she didn't react negatively at all. Daughter actually thought the plan was a big car with loooots of people and this person that keeps walking down the aisle.
                              Second time she was cranky and fell asleep on the flight back home. Covered her in her jacket and turned the overhead air on a little and had to wake her up as we were landing. So that was today's nap. Mom (me) be tired but no rest for the weary. all is well. just hanging on until bedtime and will load pictures tomorrow and all that good stuff. she is going to go nuts when papa gets home because she is a dady's and papa's girl major big time.
                              (occasionally i get random hugs and love you mom's) and i dun mind as i knew when she was born she would cling ton one of the parents or grandparents

Comment

Working...
                              X