This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Day storms: Aussies check in

As those of you who watch the Australian news will know: Australia got hit with several chunks of nasty weather today.

I'm fine. I've lost the roof of the back patio, but I'm fine and so are my people; and the house didn't leak or break or anything (just the patio).

I'm about to be away for ten days or so: don't fret, it's a planned absence, I'm perfectly safe.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

I'm fine! Surprisingly we weren't affected (we're too far down south to be hit with anything too nasty ), apart from some rain at one point.

Last I heard, Cyclone Grant is around Category 2, so TopEndDave is more likely to be affected than the rest of us.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The only trouble we had was as the storm broke over us our power went out. So we had a blackout from about 7pm to 11pm.

Comment

We had some nasty storms here in Finland today as well. Winds are strong enough to tear off roofs and knock down trees. Two railway lines are closed due to trees falling on them, bringing down the wires while they were at it, and there are power cuts all over the place.

The news is actually advising Helsinki residents (that's me) not to go outside due to the risk of blowing and/or falling debris. Fortunately the power is staying on here - hooray for underground power cables.

Comment

Some strong winds here in the Pacific NW in the US as well. A 9-year-old girl on Whidbey died on Christmas when a large branch fell and smashed into the family's SUV. :'(
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Had a car accident when it was bucketing down later that day. Was rear ended by a guy who drove like it was dry weather and WHAM right in the ass. My little new corolla against a big sedan, not good.

Other than that it was a rather nice xmas. Just waiting for my insurance office to open so I can call it in. Hopefully it won't be totalled because the frame is bent, it should be able to be popped back in shape.

Had hail coming down while we were eating xmas lunch and everyone was excited because we were having a white christmas for once. We debated going out and trying to make a snowball from the hail and then the Host's cat went insane and had a war with the tinsel in the tree and tried to eat the tree angel topper. That may have something to do with him eating half a catnip plant prior to everyone's arrival.

Trees were down everywhere and my laundry on the line flew off to parts unknown. It must a been a big accident day because they was glass from accidents all over the roads and the cops were out in force.
            Last edited by Zaiida; 12-27-2011, 04:41 AM. Reason: I can spell sometimes

Comment

The storms have missed us so far, but I'd like a little more rain because it makes my garden happy.

I hope everyone affected has speedy insurance payouts and good repairs.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
              X