Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want everyone to have epic tinnitus because I can't hear the movie!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want everyone to have epic tinnitus because I can't hear the movie!

How to nark off your projectionist in one easy step.

It's been a while since I've had to deal with SC's, as my work has been keeping me away from the floor and its every day drama. However I was a fool to think I could go unscathed forever and the inevitable happened yesterday.

According to the usher, who had to first deal with this mega-beast, the last time she visited the cinema, there had been a sound fault, so she'd been issues a comp ticket for a free film next time as a "sorry we aren't immune to technical problems either" gesture.
    She and her husband arrived at one of the usher points just as I was walking out of one of the screens, doing a sound check on another film. MB' s film was still in advertisements.

They had barely set foot inside the auditorium, when MB pipes up "I hope it's not going to be like last time, these adverts already sound too quiet!"

Please note each individual advert is recorded at a different sound level by the maker. In order for them to all sound the same, you'd need a projectionist to sit next to the sound rack for the duration and control the volume manually. Not possible when there are more than 2 screens.
    So what we do to manage this is play the volume at a set point so that if there's a super loud ad, it's not going to blast your ears off. Also, I don't know about you, but does anyone actually want to see ads they see on tv every day? Because I and half our customers definitely don't, it's a top complaint "Why do you have to put so many ads on the front of this film??!"

I inform MB the above reason and she seems somewhat placate, but still deems it necessary to let me know why she's asking
    "Alright, but last time we came there was a sound problem and I don't want it to happen again!"

I assure her that won't be the case and that the fault had been dealt with since her last visit.
    Into the auditorium she goes, back to the safety of my customerless box I go!
    Approx 5 minutes pass before I get a call from the usher on the radio.

"Hi, LoT? Could you come down to ushering, there's a customer here who would like to speak to you."

Oh goodie, I can hardly wait! I didn't, for one second expect to see MB standing there again.

"These adverts are all over the place! Some are too quiet!!"

I inwardly heave a burden-laden sigh, do these people listen to anything I say?
    I 're-explain why this is the case and reiterate nobody else has complained. But that's not good enough for MB

"I just don't want the film to be the same!"

Again I explain "The feature will be at the correct volume, it's significantly louder than the ads, because as I explained, they are always played a little quieter."

"Well make sure it is this time!" And off she flounced again.

This time? Seriously woman, what do you want, blood? How many times do I have to explain things to you?

I set a reminder on my phone to check the volume of that film when it's due to start just in case. It begins, I turn it up a little bit more for good measure and all seems well until about 15 minutes in.
    Radio call, it's the usher again. She's back and she's more annoying than ever.
    In fact, I can hear her over the radio, ranting and raving like a complete screaming, flailing machine.
    And then something she yelled caught my ear...

"It's still too quiet, I'm partially deaf you should turn it up or people with hearing impairments won't be able to hear!!"

Seriously? All this time and its only now you decide to tell us you have a hearing problem! I just...I can't even.
    We have special headsets for partially deaf customers that boosts the volume for them and won't cause an almighty ear bleed from those around you. We have infrared devices you can tune your hearing aid into to get a sound boost. She wasn't wearing a hearing aid however, but one of the headsets could have been provided if she'd just have explained to the box office staff that she had a hearing impairment. Staff aren't psychic, and its no excuse to get so snippy with them for not magically sensing you're partially deaf.

She was offered a headset but turned it down because "We should just turn up the volume." Because you know, 30 odd other people won't mind if they walk out with epic tinnitus. Irritatingly she was issued with another comp by a flaky manager. Grrr.

Having read a lot of SC stories here, I wouldn't be surprised if she WEREN'T partially deaf. After all, look what it got her - a comp pass from the last movie, and now another comp pass so she can see yet another movie for free. If she keeps running into spineless managers, she'll have the "pay once, watch unlimited movies" deal she was looking for.

Wouldn't it be nice if the movie came with a "test pattern" (obviously not meant to be played for the audience) of 3 separate 10 second tones (high, medium, and low pitch) that were supposed to register at a specified level (e.g. 50 dBA) that the projectionist could use at the start of the film's run to calibrate the volume and tone controls to match the movie to the acoustics of that particular screening room? Better yet, a set of 6 - same 3 tones at 2 different volume levels (on-screen being the frequency and the desired audio level as text) to match the dynamic range as well.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I wonder if I could complain that the screen is a "little fuzzy" and get free tickets for life via that? I shouldn't be forced to wear my glasses to see things 6 inches beyond my nose! Everything should just be set to MY standards and everyone else can sit and spin!

Yeah, that sounds stupid too. Fortunately, I have a working brain and realize how stupid it sounds.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        I wonder if I could complain that the screen is a "little fuzzy" and get free tickets for life via that? I shouldn't be forced to wear my glasses to see things 6 inches beyond my nose! Everything should just be set to MY standards and everyone else can sit and spin!

Yeah, that sounds stupid too. Fortunately, I have a working brain and realize how stupid it sounds.
        Besides a working brain I also have a sense of decency that prohibits me from making such outrageous demands!

Comment

Quoth Legacy_of_Torment View Post
          "It's still too quiet, I'm partially deaf you should turn it up or people with hearing impairments won't be able to hear!!"
          I was wondering about that. I'd guessed that she either needed her hearing checked or was too vain to wear her hearing aid.
          We have special headsets for partially deaf customers that boosts the volume for them and won't cause an almighty ear bleed from those around you....She was offered a headset but turned it down because "We should just turn up the volume."
          Yep, it's all about her. The other seven billion people on the planet can all drop dead, Almighty She is the only one who matters!

Your manager needs to grow a spine or this hag will keep doing this again and again, and costing the theater money.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

You'd have to be nearly completely deaf to miss any of the ads and previews in any movie I've ever been to. To me, one of the most annoying things about movies is the relentless BOOM BOOM BOOM soundtrack and the stupid screaming ads that come before the previews even come up.

That broad was a scammer.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I actually do have tinnitus, and I blame the excruciatingly LOUD sound systems in modern-day movie theaters for a lot of that. It boggles the mind how even a hard-of-hearing patron could possibly want them louder.

Comment

The movies I've been to in the last few years have gotten progressively louder -- ear-ringingly loud. They're so loud that I and my kids wear ear plugs when we go to the movies and we can hear everything perfectly, but without the headaches after. I started using earplugs because when I complained to management that they were too loud I was told other patrons complained they were too quiet. I must be going to the same theater as mega-beast.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

One of a multitude of reasons I don't go to theaters at all. Leaving with a headache from the volume being high enough that OSHA might well have problems with it is not an experience I care to pay that much for.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Hmmm I thought my headaches were from the massive contrast... (Can't watch TV/use computer/electronic device in the dark)

Maybe I'll try my earplugs next time I go out

Comment

She was offered a headset but turned it down because "We should just turn up the volume." Because you know, 30 odd other people won't mind if they walk out with epic tinnitus. Irritatingly she was issued with another comp by a flaky manager. Grrr.
                      Scammer. The whole thing is clearly a set up to get another free ticket.

And deaf or not, it is outrageous that she should suggest others be affected because SHE has a problem, when a simple, easy solution presents itself.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                      X