This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Boneless olives" and other madness

4th of July weekend is like a perfect storm of insanity at The Busiest Grocery Store In The World. It's a summer holiday, which means people want lots of burger patties and hot dogs, buns, charcoal, cold side dishes, paper plates and plastic forks, potato chips, soda, and beer. It's the beginning of the month, which means food stamp customers are spending like there's no tomorrow, and so are the military and retirees. On top of that, mighty Thor saw fit in his wisdom to banish the storm clouds that plague our state with intermittent unseasonable rainfall, meaning it's actually been warm and sunny here all week. All of this adds up to nearly a half million dollar gross on the day before the 4th, lines so thick that we had to have 13 cash registers (plus the six SCO kiosks) open until nearly 10 PM, and by the time the freight crew got in to restock our shelves looked like people were expecting a hurricane, sharknado, or an invasion by giant spaceships that only Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum can fend off. Were it not for the fact that we were generously staffed in anticipation and the fact that we get very generous holiday pay, these last few shifts would legally qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.

But, as Arlo Guthrie might say, that's not what I came here to talk to you about. I came here to talk to you about people who don't know the name of the product they're looking for.

Our store has about 96,000 square feet of sales floor, so it can be overwhelming for new shoppers. When I'm out on the floor, I usually get at least a couple dozen people per shift trying to find something. Most of the time I can guide them in the right direction - a lot of the time, it's as easy as pointing at it because they're so close they can already taste it. Then there are the people who have apparently created their own terminology for everyday goods, have been buying a product for years but never learned what it's actually called, or who are clearly space aliens from another world attempting to mimic human behavior by stringing words together. These past few days have been especially flush with examples of people looking for products that I'm not sure exist on this world, so I figured I'd share some of them with you.

* "Boneless olives". When I asked for elaboration, the customer only said "the olives without the bone inside". I assumed she meant pitted olives and sent her to the section where they're located. Since none of the olives over there have bones in them, I technically gave her what she wanted.

* "Liquid sauce". When I asked what you use it for, the man simply said "for food". My attempts at further clarification went nowhere, so I sent him in the direction of the condiments and salad dressing.

* Even more boggling, at least at first, was the family of non-native English speakers who just wanted "sauce". Regular sauce. Sauce for food. A coworker who spoke the same language as them happened by and determined they actually wanted salt, which she agreed was definitely not what they had been asking me for.

* "The two-dollar charcoal". The customer insisted we had a special on bags of charcoal for $2, but didn't know what brand, what size bag, where in the store she saw it (and since we don't advertise our prices at all she would have to have seen it in the store), but insisted that we had it and wanted to know where more of it was. I searched every part of the store that could possibly have a charcoal display and found no such thing (in fact, the cheapest bag I found was just short of $5), and she left angry.

* "Powder". Baby powder? Baking powder? Powdered milk? If those were your guesses, you'd be wrong. She wanted popcorn seasoning.

* "Mushrooms in a can and not a jar but whole ones not the sliced ones and they're plain instead of being in liquid", which, as far as I could find, was the only specific combination of those qualifiers that we don't stock.

* "Chunky burger". He didn't want ground beef or hamburger patties when I asked if that was what he meant, and then offered that it was "chunky burger in a can". Turned out he was looking for Campbell's chunky soup.

* "Brandy vodka". I'm pretty sure this person knew absolutely nothing about liquor and hadn't been paying attention to whoever sent them to the store, because they were quite adamant about the existence of a type of vodka called Brandy.

"Yellow Swiss cheese". I'm fairly sure this one doesn't actually exist, at all, and yet the customer was insistent they'd bought it at our store in the past. But then, a few years ago people insisted that they'd bought deep-fried turkeys at our store last year, when, the previous Thanksgiving, the building was a closed-down furniture store.

Anyone else out there got any good examples of customers asking for product in the most nonsensical way possible?
    Last edited by Smapti; 07-05-2014, 01:32 PM.

Here's your sign song.
    [/AG]
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
      Then there are the people who have apparently ... been buying a product for years but never learned what it's actually called...
      Oh god, this is me. *hangs head in shame*

Once a year I buy a new jar of my faux peanut butter (made with roasted soy nuts because of my allergy). I can never remember the name of the brand, they change the label more often than I buy it, and for some strange reason the store will have it one week (just when I'm thinking I might need more and should make sure they still stock it), not even have a space on the shelf for it the next (when I run out and really do need to get more), and then a week later have it back on the shelves right where I swear I and one of the store associates looked for it before only with another label redesign.

*sigh* It's enough to make one think they've gone crazy, and I'm sure the associates think I have, too.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Where's The Beef has 5 different salads that we sell. Strawberry, apple/pecan, spicy caesar, spicy asian, and a bbq ranch.

So much fun when a customer comes up to me and states "I want one of those salads with chicken on it."

...All of our salads come with chicken. Even more fun when I've taken 5 minutes to explain all off the salads and how they differ and the customer says "One of the ones with chicken on it! I don't know what its called. All I know is that it has chicken on it!"

Comment

At least once a week a patient wants a prescription for a medication for which they remember nothing: No name, no purpose, how often you take it, which pharmacy they previously got it, nothing. "You must know it, doc! It's a little round white pill!" Drugs.com pill identifier page lists 3,407 round white pills.
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

When I worked at Blamco we'd get people in all the time wanting chemicals for their pool.

What kind?

"I dunno, you just put it in the pool and treat it."

Look buddy, half the store is chemicals for various things. Pick one.

Nine times out of ten they want either the 2 gallon jug of shock or the giant blue drums of chlorine. At the front of the store, on huge pallets, with big signs on em.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
              * "Boneless olives". When I asked for elaboration, the customer only said "the olives without the bone inside". I assumed she meant pitted olives and sent her to the section where they're located. Since none of the olives over there have bones in them, I technically gave her what she wanted.
              But I *NEED* boneless olives to put on my famous kosher bacon cheeseburgers.

Quoth Thana View Post
              Where's The Beef has 5 different salads that we sell. Strawberry, apple/pecan, spicy caesar, spicy asian, and a bbq ranch.

So much fun when a customer comes up to me and states "I want one of those salads with chicken on it."

...All of our salads come with chicken.
              I believe they also offer some form of taco salad - without chicken.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I believe they also offer some form of taco salad - without chicken.
                If that's what I think it is, not anymore. But they do still have a couple of side salads (which don't have chicken but might have bacon bits).

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                  If that's what I think it is, not anymore. But they do still have a couple of side salads (which don't have chicken but might have bacon bits).
                  No we don't have the taco salad anymore. My location does have something similar... a chili salad. That one though uses the bbq ranch base and adds chili on top. Out of all the salads, that one is perhaps the one main salad (We have a side garden and a side caesar) customers do know how to ask for by name. Probably because it doesn't have any chicken on it

Comment

Quoth Smapti
                    Anyone else out there got any good examples of customers asking for product in the most nonsensical way possible?
                    Oh man, you have no idea what people asked for at CVS. Pepida, belated anniversary Hallmark cards, among countless others that I didn't remember enough to post here.

Your ones are quite funny, though. Thanks for sharing.
                    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                    Fiancee: What?!
                    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                      "Yellow Swiss cheese". I'm fairly sure this one doesn't actually exist, at all,
                      Yes, it does. Swiss Emmental is yellow.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

They were all out of the extra virgin olive oil... so I got this bottle of "Really gets around" olive oil.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

The non-English speaking customers looking for "sauce" and meaning "salt"... could their native language have been German?

I know that "Salt" is "Salz" in German, and I guess one could misinterpret "Salz" as "Sauce."
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

This is like the bookstore customers who want a book, but don't know the title, the author, or what the book is about. "But it's got a blue cover! Why can't you help me?"
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              The non-English speaking customers looking for "sauce" and meaning "salt"... could their native language have been German?

I know that "Salt" is "Salz" in German, and I guess one could misinterpret "Salz" as "Sauce."
                              Samoan, actually, so I'm not sure where the salt/sauce mixup came from.

Comment

Working...
                              X