X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just take the free coffee already!

or, Old People Annoy Me.

OK, they aren't really sucky, just impeding my progress this morning, ugh. The minute I walked in the door a manager asked if I'd do cafe, since the opener called in. NO PROBLEM--someone worked for me Sat when I'd had my car accident. Plus, I hate cashiering so much. It takes me a few minutes to get my long hair pulled into a bun comfortably and get my head covered, so I guess customers are waiting. Manager decides coffee's on the house. Unfortunately he tries to yell that across the front end and I can't understand him at all. Pick up the phone? Walk over here? He does, actually, and explains to the old folks that I'm taking over, probably because they've been muttering that I'm not there yet. And that's the thing--we must always justify to them because of past complaints.

Anyway, as people walk up from then on I call out to them that it's free; just take a cup. I have to tell one old lady 3 times & she doesn't get it until her friends tell her. Then she wants to know why. I pretend I don't hear her because I don't have time for the inevitable inane conversation. The cafe isn't even fully open, and why does it matter if it's free?? Just take it! She finally walks off, but every last one of 'em wants to know why. It's like they're three-year-olds, and I have to put this place together. I like cafe except for mornings.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

"Why is it free? Oh, that's the pot we dumped the potassium cyanide in, we've got to get rid of it somehow!"

Yes, I know there's no such thing as a free lunch, but this isn't lunch, it's coffee. Consider it a free sample!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Ugh... There's nothing more irritating than slow customers cramping your style. I GET THAT.

Comment

Forgive them, for their bodies may be awake, but their brains are still asleep. It may be a permanent state of being for them or coffee is the only Elixir of Awakening they can get. I think it's more the former.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

When they have to ask why, ask them if they would rather pay for it.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
          X